[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I know when a timing belt is ready to fail? I've

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_7017.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7017.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
How do I know when a timing belt is ready to fail?

I've bought an Audi TT 2002 with 155k miles which is known for timing belt failures. The manual says to change every 105k miles so I assumed this car still had 50k miles to go which is why I bough it but now I've read Audi reissued another manual saying timing belt for this car needs to be done every 75k miles
This changes everything and I don't know when the last timing belt job was done but if it was done at 75k then my belt is possible ready to snap

My serpentine belt looks in good state but how do I know if I should spend the money to change my timing belt or if I have a new belt installed? I don't want it to snap and kill my engine
>>
Serpentine belt =/= timing belt

Replace
>>
>>16421579
i know that but the serpentine belt along with the water pump are almost always replaced at the same time as the timing belt so if my serpentine belt looks in good condition wouldnt that mean my timing belt is ok too?
>>
Look for tiny tears and a "dry" look, also for sideways motion of the belt when the car is running, any sort of squaking means misalignment or wear.

Most shops nowadays change the tensioner pulley along with the belt, so more monies but alas, new part so peace of mind.
>>
>>16421693
i cant see the timing belt since its covered up

only the serpentine belt
>>
>>16421728
Change it.
Same thing with engine oil.
Change if not sure.
>>
hey anon, ranodm question

does this belt issue also apply to the 8L S3's?
>>
>>16421731
shits expensive as fuck though, is there really no way to check?
>>
>>16421736
yes, the s3 and TT quattro had the same exact 225hp engine
>>
>>16421801
Not really, the price of a belt + tools is far cheaper than rebuilding the engine when it drops a valve
>>
>>16421555
You can't know for sure.

What you can do is try to remove one of the timing belt covers and take a look at it.
Obvious signs of premature wear (cracks, tears, belt out of place, etc) should prompt you to change the belt immediately, but it will most likely look good and belts that look good can snap regardless.

That said, belts don't snap as soon as their service interval is over, they can last a lot more than that. The service interval is more a liability concern for the manufacturer, it basically means "hey, I told you to change it, if it breaks after X Miles it's not my problem"

I suggest you do a bit more research on your engine to see which service interval you actually have, maybe ask a TT/VW forum for more information.
Even if you change the belt today, you still don't know if it's supposed to be changed every 75 or 105k miles, and you will have the same problem as today in the future
>>
>buy second hand car
>do all maintenance that you can't verify has been done within the reasonable lifespan of said parts

That way it is done and you know it is done and it's less likely to surprise you.
>>
>>16421801
If there is no receipt for a timing belt change assume it's never been done.

If it's to expensive to do sell the car and buy one you can afford.
>>
>>16421801
I know but timing belts don't really show age well since it's rubber and different temps and dirt can change the look on it's wear and age.
Cracks=CHANGE NAO!
Serpentine belts are easy though.
Took me 5-7 minutes to change on my SAAB 9-5 even though it's cramped in there.
>>
You could try calling the local dealer (local to the guy you bought it from) and seeing if they can check the records for you (although they will probably say it hasn't and you need to rush in for them to take care of it)
>>
>>16421589
look for a belt maintenance sticker on the inside of the timing cover, the outside of the timing cover, the inside of the hood, and any other flat places in the engine bay.
if you find one and you are within the time/mileage life of the belt
you are still not in the clear but you probably won't snap the belt tomorrow

>>16421731
>>16421808
>>16421909
these /o/tists aren't wrong, you know
>>
>>16421555
>buying a audi without service records
>buying a tt
You dun goofed.

If you have no idea when it was done get the dealer to check it. Or just pay to have it done.
>>
>>16424515
>get the dealer to check it
you can't tell the condition of a timing belt by looking at it you mook
>>
When in doubt,change it. Shit will fuck quick if it fails. They say every 75k miles for a belt, 125k for a chain. I do it every 50k/100k. Why risk the engine? You should be putting money aside every month for car repairs anyways.
>>
>>16421801

just change it yourself, faggot
>>
>>16424515
>go to dealership
>tell the mechanic you have no idea when the belt was changed
>Car has its age already
>Ask him to check if the belt needs to be serviced

And you expect the dealer not to take this golden occasion to take advantage of a concerned customer by telling him the belt is totally fucked and needs to be changed ASAP along with water pump and aux belt, regardless of the actual state of the belt?
God you are so naive.

And at the very best, he will be charged with a minimum of one hour of labour to look at something that he can easily look at himself and that will tell him nothing anyway because belts don't show age unless they are damaged for other, unrelated reasons
>>
Changing the timing belt on an Audi may be a hassle, but it's a lot less of a hassle than rebuilding or replacing your engine if the belt decides to snap and grenade it.
>>
>>16424429
(you)
Thanks.

Yeah, timing belts unlike timing chains are instant fuck ups.
Chains you can hear before they needs replacing/tightening.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.