[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How is it that in old cars the air filter was the most prominent

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

File: B110_ATC_air_cleaner[1].jpg (139KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
B110_ATC_air_cleaner[1].jpg
139KB, 1024x768px
How is it that in old cars the air filter was the most prominent element under the hood while in new cars you can't even find the filter unless you know what your looking for?
>>
Because we don't use carburetors anymore? Just a guess
>>
>>16401104

Air used to be dirtier back in the day, so bigger air filters were necessary to provide clean air to the engine.

Nowadays since all the emissions laws and shit, air is a helluva lot cleaner so air filters are smaller and don't matter as much.
>>
>>16401786
>Arizona
>Dust storms almost every day for 4 months out of the year
'k.
>>
File: IMG_5622.jpg (44KB, 635x635px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5622.jpg
44KB, 635x635px
>>16401786
>>
>>16401104

Carburettors for the most part require laminar flow over the booster to meter correctly. Having a vertical inlet with a filter directly above is fairly good at providing this. So the air filter is mounted directly above the throat.

This also means that under hood clearance is an issue so the filter was designed as a fourteen to sixteen inch ring about one and a half to two inches tall to provide sufficient filter surface area.

Fuel injected cars do not require laminar flow after the hot wire MAF and even then this can be achieved by a honeycomb air flow corrector mounted a few inches before the MAF sensor. There can be a convoluted intake tract on an EFI car with little issue. Once the filter didn't have to be a ring element in a pretty poor air box more R&D was put into filter mediums and airbox design that gives us efficient panel filters and air boxes that flow a huge amount of air without restriction for their size.
>>
>>16401786
I hate this board
>>
File: IMG_20160718_083629.jpg (3MB, 2992x2992px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160718_083629.jpg
3MB, 2992x2992px
Oil bath air filter, thanks VW
>>
>>16401786
fuckkkk
>>
>>16401786
This is why i come back to this god awful place
>>
>>16401882
you're not supposed to know what you're talking about but since carburettors i'll let it slide
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.