[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm a beginner driver looking for a car. My question is,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

File: 1404162032835.jpg (98KB, 960x948px) Image search: [Google]
1404162032835.jpg
98KB, 960x948px
I'm a beginner driver looking for a car. My question is, how do you tell if the brake on a car is worn/ruined?

I test drove a 2008 Honda Civic coupe recently that felt strange to drive. In other cars I've driven (Toyotas), when you depress the break the car starts to slow down immediately and in proportion to how you depress the break. With this one, the break was responsive but it seemed like I really needed to step on it to make it slow down which threw me off.

Is that normal for this type of car or is the break fucked? The car was apparently in a minor accident in which the impact was from the front side, but the claim was under $3,000.00. The dealer claims it was minor and that cars like this sell all the time, but this one also had very low mileage. I most likely won't buy the car, but I would like to know for future reference if the car just handles differently and I wasn't used to it, or if there's a chance it might genuinely be fucked. It looked really nice (brand new even) and clean. Seemed almost like a steal (less than 100k miles, around $6000, only eight years old).
>>
>>16399158

A newer Civic like that should brake like a new car, it could be a lot of things, most likely fairly minor.

In saying that, stay clear from anything that was in a 'minor accident' from a dealer. There are so many cars on the market, and you are clearly looking for something pedestrian as fuck, so just find one that not only looks right, but drives right
>>
>>16399440
I'm having a tough time. It seems everything within my price range has been in an accident.
>>
>>16399158
Could be that the brake booster is fucked. Here's how to fest it:

1. With the power turned off, pump the brake pedal a few time until you can feel it getting stiff
2. Depress the pedal slightly, just so you can fel the slack come off and then add little force but not so much that the pedal moves
3. Turn the engine on while doing this

If the brake booster is working, you will feel the pedal go down.
>>
i have a civic of the same generation, the brake is nothing like what you describe normally. something is wrong with it, could be as simple as improperly bled brakes. not like it's really worth finding out though, civics are a dime a dozen, just find another one to look at.
>>
>>16399489
You may be wanting too much from your price point. You don't want a car that had been wrecked, but areas you can do a few things
>look at older cars
>consider higher mileage vehicles
>get a mechanically sound car with cosmetic flaws
>just buy a $3000 Civic
>>
>>16399158
>Civic coupe
???

what?
>>
File: Honda~Civic~Coupe~(2).jpg (31KB, 640x408px) Image search: [Google]
Honda~Civic~Coupe~(2).jpg
31KB, 640x408px
>>16400370
Civic Coupes have been around for years.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.