[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are summer tyres a meme? I was thinking of just running my winter

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: prodrive1.jpg (110KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
prodrive1.jpg
110KB, 640x480px
Are summer tyres a meme? I was thinking of just running my winter ones all year because if they grip really awesome in the cold, that means they must grip like 5x as much in the hot, right?
>>
Winter tires wear out much faster. You will be losing money if you do that.
>>
You sound retarded. Wonder how you look
>>
yes that's ris
>>
>>16389443
right*
>>
>>16389319
No, winter tire compounds wear out rapidly on dry roads. You'll be shedding chunks of tread. Think about Formula 1 and their wet and intermediate compounds. Great in the wet, but as the track drys out, those tires go within a few laps. Just like winter tires, they simply aren't designed to generate that much grip.
>>
>>16391226

Basically, winter tires are race tires then? Extremely fast wearing soft compound that conforms exceedingly well to the road surface but burns off within a few laps. Sounds like racing tires to me. Will now drive all winter on my racing tires, taking care to use all available grip from the racing compound.
>>
File: 1465282092883.jpg (37KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1465282092883.jpg
37KB, 600x600px
>>16389319
>holiday
>every fucking time
>>
>>16391245

No that's not how it works, you want racing tyres just man the fuck up and buy slicks
>>
Winter tires work because they're engineered to dig and bite at snow and slush, basically in three dimensions. They need to keep their shape as much as they can to do so. Once there's no snow for them to grip, there's no point to the tire.
Summer tires work by having a sticky compound to grip the road (a two-dimensional surface, more or less) and enough tread to expel water and prevent the car from hydroplaning in rain.
>>
Summer tires a partial meme. There really is no true 'summer tire' as they all have to abide my minimum requirements for water displacement (wet performance). Basically, anything DOT approved is guaranteed to be complete shit.

Winter tires ideally should not be used in any environment other than snow/ice. They have deep flexible treads designed for performance in the cold. Those cavities aren't going to magically fill up during warm weather so your theory that they perform well in the summer is completely false. The contact patch is significantly smaller in winter tires.

The best thing you can do is run some snow leaning all seasons and have a back up pair of wheels with some meme summers (yokos or some shit). If you have a ton of money, just get three sets of wheels with snow, all seasons, and summer
>>
>>16389319
Try running winter tires on a wet road.
>>
>>16391300
>all seasons
I run all seasons and i say AS are shit
>>
>>16391302
What's wrong with using winter tyres on wet roads?

You guys don't have wet roads during winter?
>>
>>16391401
All-Seasons are complete shit, but it also depends on the car. I DD an '08 Mustang GT all year round in Chicago, and it's completely useless without full-on snow tires when it snows at all, but with them, it's really not bad at all. I just start it in second when it's bad, reminds me of an Opel Manta rally car.
>>
>>16389319
what wheels
>>
Actually winter tires have LESS grip (on a clear surface) because the contact area is smaller.
>>
>>16391302
They displace the water like they're designed to do?
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.