[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

sup /o/ So i have a shitbox 1999 accord i use to get to uni

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: framfilter.png (270KB, 562x384px) Image search: [Google]
framfilter.png
270KB, 562x384px
sup /o/

So i have a shitbox 1999 accord i use to get to uni everyday and when i last got an oil change the guy said to change it every 3k miles or 6 months which ever came first.
Now im at 2k miles but 8 months have already passed so i decided i have to change it but then i started reading my owners manual and it says to change it every 7500 miles or 1 yr
Which one is correct?

It uses 5w30 conventianl oil (mobil 1 energy saving)
>>
>>16387716
Listen to your manual

Obviously the local quick lube is gonna cut the oil change interval in half to keep you coming back to overpay for car maintenance you can do yourself

The best solution is to learn yourself (seriously is not that hard and the price of one oil change from the quick lube will pay for oil and tools to get it done yourself)

Also never use your pic related
>>
>>16387716
just fuck my shit up fram
>>
>>16387716
Every car and engine is a little different when it comes to oil needs.
With a high quality filter and oil in a healthy engine that isn't under much load, you could easily go 10-15k on one oil change, replace only the filter and keep running the same oil for another 10k. In an old car with bad seals and piston rings, with a neglectful owner that races every stoplight and never tops off the oil, even 3k miles would be pushing it. Ultimately the shop has to assume the worst to cover their own asses, so they recommend the minimum.

With conventional oil and a fram filter, I'd stick to 3k/6mo.
>>
>>16387716
Your manual is more correct than the barely trained guy, but 3000 is the go to interval for regular oil

If the car is in good shape and you don't drive like a maniac running from the cops, then you'd be fine going by the manual's 7500 mile interval, or split the difference and do it every 5000

And yes, fram filters are for shit
>>
>>16387827
>replace only the filter
stop before you trick someone into making a massive mess
>>
How do I find out where all the grease points are in my car? If I do my own oil I have to do that too
>>
>>16387884
Not sure what you're talking about. There's always oil in the filter, it's not going to make more of a mess just because there's oil in the pan too.

>>16387888
Check ball joints, tie rods, and u-joints if you have them for zerk fittings. Odds are they're probably not even greasable unless they're aftermarket. If it's never been done it might be a good idea to grease door hinges and latches as well
>>
>>16387716
Depends on the condition of your engine. As has been said higher up a 90s honda engine with high miles is going to need more frequent oil changes thanks to blowby and worn valve seals. If you have a vacuum leak expect some water to get in too. I just check the oil on my cars by pulling the dipstick and if the oils transparent enough see the hashmarks or dipstick through the oil. If not I change it since it's contaminated.
>>
>>16387888
>How do I find out where all the grease points are in my car?

On modern cars, there's not much to lubricate when you go in for full service oil, filter, and lubrication service. If it doesn't have those zerk fittings, then you don't apply grease. Some dealerships still advertise they do lubrication, but what they actually do is re-apply some of that silicon grease to the door hinges and latches and then wipe it clean so that the excess doesn't attract and hold more grime. This type of lube you can easily do yourself of course.
>>
I've used 5w30 synthetic with 8000mi changes doing pizza delivery and I've put 150k miles on my accord, usually using Pennzoil Platinum or ultra with the frame ultra filter.

The V6 Engine is like the only thing in the car that's stayed healthy and strong. I've started and stopped my car 30 times a day for 3 years.
>>
>>16387906
>>16387906
>Not sure what you're talking about. There's always oil in the filter, it's not going to make more of a mess just because there's oil in the pan too

I sincerely hope you're just retarded.

Most cars oil filters are on the bottom of the engine and only slightly higher in level than the drain of the pan.

He pulls the filter almost all of the engines oil will come out.

He'd be better off just changing the oil and filter in one goe.
>>
>>16391565
>I sincerely hope you're just retarded.
No, I'm just not talking out of my ass. Taking an oil filter off will not open a spigot and drain all your oil, at most you'll lose the half quart that was in the passages above the filter. On many cars the filter is on top of the engine so the only oil you lose is what's soaked into the filter material itself.

In any case it's irrelevant, even if the oil could somehow climb its way through the stationary pump and up the plumbing against gravity, there still wouldn't be a mess because you were already using a drain pan to take the filter off anyway.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.