[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why are USED cars sold by dealerships taxed by the government?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 5

File: e71.png (11KB, 274x290px) Image search: [Google]
e71.png
11KB, 274x290px
Why are USED cars sold by dealerships taxed by the government? It's fucking bullshit. Where I live, every time a car transfers title the buyer pays a 13% tax to the state. If it changes hands a few times this can rack up to more than the original cost of the vehicle
>>
File: 1479743869729.jpg (103KB, 745x655px) Image search: [Google]
1479743869729.jpg
103KB, 745x655px
>his country taxes private parties for transfers of goods
Good goys.
>>
>>16384810
Onterrible? I was literally just complaining about that. Isn't it supposed to be a value added tax? I wonder if anyone has contested it in court on those grounds.
>>
File: 128746832772.jpg (188KB, 922x882px) Image search: [Google]
128746832772.jpg
188KB, 922x882px
>>16384826
The only exceptions are transferring the vehicle to a close family member as a gift, or if you are a qualifying diplomat or Status Indian
>>
>>16384810
Because Uncle Sam is of the Hebrew Nation.

Why does the car manufacturer have to pay taxes on the steel and plastic they buy to make parts for the car? Why do they have to pay taxes on the electronics they buy from Bosch and Delphi? Why do they have to pay taxes on the income they make from selling the car? Then the people making the cars, the company pays them and that money gets taxed 30%. Of that $30k you paid for a new car BEFORE sales tax on it, $5k+ of that is probably already in Sam's pocket because of how much the labor, materials, parts, logistics, etc were already taxed

They have to get their hands on a little bit every time money changes hands.
>>
>>16384826
In BC at least our provincial tax is a sales tax not a value added tax so it unfortunately makes sense for the government to steal our money.
>>
>>16384870
Because taxes pay for the infrastructure and public services that enable life in such comfort that allows you to complain about taxes.
>>
>>16384882
Didn't pay for my internet...

Paid for the Dindu's internet tho.
>>
>>16384882
Good goy: the post
>>
>>16384899
>TAXES ARE THEFT SCREW THE GUBMINT I'M AN ANARCHOCAPITALIST
>>
>>16384925
No but the amount of money they take in taxes vs what actually gets used in an appropriate way is ridiculous.
>>
>>16384925
Just in case you are serious, I hope you are aware that the anti-tax argument has nothing to do with the tax collection itself. People are concerned with how recklessly and inefficiently the government spends tax money (which they do) and that is why many people are pissed about taxes - not necessarily because we have to pay them. This is also why I can't help but laugh at liberals that say shit like "we should just legalize weed, we'll get extra tax revenue out of it!"

No, you retard, you will sacrifice yet another liberty to the government WHILE giving them more money to line their pockets with.

I have no problems with paying taxes, I just wish I had more of a say over how the money is used.
>>
>>16384931
I agree, but that's not an inherent problem of taxes, just a problem of mismanagement.
>>
File: 1325640124987.jpg (27KB, 298x392px) Image search: [Google]
1325640124987.jpg
27KB, 298x392px
>>16384925
In case you aren't retarded, I'm totally fine with sales tax on brand new goods produced by a firm for a consumer. But USED products should NEVER be taxed.
>>
>>16385056
That depends on whether profit is being made with them, because then commercial income tax comes into play, in my eyes rightfully. If you're a used car salesman and you're terrible enough to sell a car for the same price you've bought it, then no, you shouldn't pay taxes on it because you made no money.
>>
File: 128746832773.jpg (347KB, 922x882px) Image search: [Google]
128746832773.jpg
347KB, 922x882px
>>16384867

Fresh OC I just made
>>
>>16384870
Those taxes are value-added. For example, if a rim company buys $5 of steel and pays $1 of tax on it, then makes a $30 steel rim out of it, they will collect the $6 of tax. But when the time comes to remit that tax to the government, they only have to return $5 (6 collected - 1 already paid). Therefore they are effectively only paying the tax on the amount of value they added $5 = 20% of ($35 - $5).

That's all ok with me (to an extent). But it's ridiculous when we're paying more tax every time a depreciating vehicle changes hands.
>>
>>16385871

It's essentially double dipping -- especially if that car was purchased new in Ontario.

The only way I could see it making sense is if the government only taxed vehicles that appreciated in value from the initial tax appraisal.

Which would probably be less than 1% of all used cars being sold, and wouldn't give the government their sweet $$$ to spend on other useless crap.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.