[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm looking at buying a 2005 Focus ZX3 (the 2-door hatch)

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: 00d0d_2kMmGvEaxsh_1200x900.jpg (87KB, 960x576px) Image search: [Google]
00d0d_2kMmGvEaxsh_1200x900.jpg
87KB, 960x576px
I'm looking at buying a 2005 Focus ZX3 (the 2-door hatch) because I need a shitbox that's good on gas and will pass inspection.
It's listed for $1700, manual, no significant rust, no dash lights but I'm gonna take a code reader with me when I go to see it. 150,000 miles which is the lowest I can find in my meager price range. It hasn't been inspected since 2015 but it's been sitting in this guy's lot with dealer plates on it so he just didn't care to inspect it. Has new brake pads and newish tires.
The guy says he's gonna take it to a mechanic tomorrow to have them faux-inspect it and see if it passes and then tell me the result.

It doesn't have the split port engine with the valve seat problem, it's the other one. 16V 2.0 zetec. I read that they commonly have ignition switch problems but I'm more than capable of fixing that myself.

Is there anything else I should look out for with this car, any problems it was notorious for? Is the price fair? I was gonna offer 1500 cash as long as it's not throwing any codes, but I've never haggled before and don't know how much I can get away with. In one of the pictures he's got 2500 written on the windshield so he already lowered the price quite a bit from his initial hopes.
>>
>>16380979
It's not a Zetec. and they discontinued the SOHC split port after the 2004 model year, along with the 2.0L Zetec.

Go for it. That thing has the 2.0L Duratec/Mazda MZR engine, which has great aftermarket support. They're pretty bulletproof.
>>
>>16380986
Thanks, I was trying to decipher the "which engine does your focus have" model year bullshit. I thought it would be duratec but wasn't sure.

What's the cheapest way to add power to those? I've never driven small cars so I don't know if 136hp is enough for aggressive driving in traffic.
>>
>>16380979
Post your local Craigslist.
>>
>>16381075
plattsburgh/vermont
>>
>>16381075
why?
>>
>>16381011
Not in the Focus fanbase, so I wouldn't know, but from what I've heard and read, the best thing to do is a catback exhaust, Cosworth intake manifold, Cosworth camshafts and an ECU tune, which should push you close to 180, if not 200 outright. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

As to the FOcus model year thing, here's how you break it down..
2.0L SOHC SPI:
2000-2004, sedan and wagon only

2.0L DOHC Zetec:
2000-2004, standard on hatchbacks, optional on sedan and wagon

2.0L DOHC Zetec SVT:
2002-2004, hatchbacks only

2.3L DOHC Duratec I4:
2003-2004: optional in states with PZEV emissions laws (New Jersey, Connecticut, New York, California, etc). Interesting fact, the only 2.3L Focus wagons are all 2003-2004 model year cars. The 2.3L was not available in the wagon from 2005-2007.
2005-2007: ST model Focus's only

2.0L DOHC Duratec:
2005-2011: standard equipment.
>>
>>16381011
>>16381202
stop. modifying a shitbox is stupid. you're only going to ruin it and kill resale.
>>
>>16381271
>stop liking what I don't like
Leave
>>
>>16381324
it's not a matter of liking/not liking shit, it's just illogical and a waste of money. especially when it's an old car and you don't have a lot of money. That money would be better spent on the inevitable repairs.

>>16381081
budget?
>>
>>16381347
>it's not a matter of liking/not liking shit, it's just illogical and a waste of money. especially when it's an old car and you don't have a lot of money. That money would be better spent on the inevitable repairs.
>stop liking what I don't like. I'm a no fun allowed person who doesn't understand mods can be undone.
>>
>>16381271
>implying I'm gonna resell a $1700 car once I've bought it
Cars are not an investment
>>16381347
Once engine repairs roll around, I'll have to take it apart anyway, so at that point I'd rather swap out some parts and improve it than put it back together stock. I could collect the parts slowly and wait for the day.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.