[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Need to replace the upper and lower ball joints on both sides

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: wheel_missing.jpg (35KB, 511x348px) Image search: [Google]
wheel_missing.jpg
35KB, 511x348px
Need to replace the upper and lower ball joints on both sides on my Tahoe. Anyone have any tips or tricks to make it go easier? I do all my own maintenance so I'm not a complete idiot. Going to buy the ball joint press.
>>
>>16361782
big ass breaker bar
lots of pb blaster
gloves with knuckle padding
thats about it really
>>
>>16361782
>Going to buy the ball joint press.
Don't some stores like Autozone have free specialty tool rentals if you buy the related parts from them? You can check at their website for their local store policy.
>>
>>16362963
This OP, rent them for free, a lot easier. And ball joint replacment is a fucking bitch. Like the other anon said, use a breaker bar, pd blaster, etc. Also make sure you use the adapter the ball joint press comes with, makes it a lot easier. Just take your time. Make sure the ball joints are going in straight or else youre gonna havr a really bad time. Get extra cotter pins because they're fucking fragile. Also when you are applying pressure the the balll joint to pop it out, make sure you stand back, they tend to literally pop out and can go pretty far.( i have a small scar on my forhead as proof.)
>>
>>16361782
This isn't fun work. Why not pay someone else? Or why not buy new control arms that include the joint?
>>
Big brass hammer
>>
File: ball joint.png (12KB, 640x400px) Image search: [Google]
ball joint.png
12KB, 640x400px
>>16361782
Give the knuckle a couple good whacks with a hammer when you've got the ball joint puller good and tight on there.
It'll make the hole deform and spring back, breaking any rust in there and it'll help force the tapered shaft out.
>>
Rent the ball joint remover or else youre gonna have a bad time
>>
>>16362984
Never seen a rental tool that wasn't destroyed.
Last time I helped a buddy with balljoints he rented one from checker and it was so bent it was almost worthless.
If OP plans on a lifetime of broken shit, which he should, and is willing to buy one right now, just let him buy one. It's so much better than needing to throw $100 at the parts store to borrow a broken piece of shit tool set that you can end up buying if they decide they think you broke it.
>>
If they're riveted in just buy new control arms with ball joints prebolted in place. I'll never fuck around chiseling, pounding, and drilling those bastards again. When I was younger I took the time on my s10 Blazer but I didn't do it with my zr2 s10.

You even get the added benefit of having new bushings in the arms as well.
>New Moog arms came with bolted problem solver ball joints and preassembled bushings
>>
>>16362963
Check ahead with the autozone or other auto store to verify the tool is in good condition or if it looks worn out.
>>
>>16363480
Have you seen a balljoint press? Those things are fucking massive, and heavy duty as fuck. The only time i ever rented a broken tool was when i rentad a HD Tie rod remover. He put it on the counter, and i inspected it. And told him it was bent. He apologized and grabbed another one. You should always inspect shit before it leaves the store, buying or renting.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.