[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do American muscle cars (and for a period from the late 60s

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 3

Why do American muscle cars (and for a period from the late 60s to the 70s it seems ALL American cars) have that hump near the back? They're all front engine cars so what is the purpose of it
>>
>>16346886
do you think any of the fucking retards who were in literally any position of power back in the 60s or 70s had even the slightest idea what they were doing pretty much at any time

THE ANSWER IS NO THEY FUCKING DONT KNOW SHIT AND THEY HAD NO FUCKING CLUE
>>
>>16346886

What hump??? Some of the bigger sedans had a hump for the spare tire in the trunk lid because donut tires weren't a thing back then.
>>
>>16346906
see how the back door handle is higher than the front door handle? It's not like that on early 60s models
>>
>>16346886
Coke bottle styling

It was what was in vogue at the time.

Side profile of many cars was meant to resemble the curved profile of a glass bottle of Coca cola
>>
File: Bret Ervin - 1967 Camaro.jpg (85KB, 800x372px) Image search: [Google]
Bret Ervin - 1967 Camaro.jpg
85KB, 800x372px
>>16346886
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coke_bottle_styling
>>
>>16346911

It's probably to clear the rear diff pumpkin and fuel tank.
>>
File: WP_20150908_15_12_47_Pro.jpg (2MB, 2592x1456px) Image search: [Google]
WP_20150908_15_12_47_Pro.jpg
2MB, 2592x1456px
a more drastic example

the cars lines arch strongly around the front and rear wheel wells to give a more aerodynamic and sleek look
>>
>>16346936
I think straight lines look sleeker
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.