[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Doing a timing belt service tonight for the first time. Engine

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: 40567-44.gif (31KB, 633x322px) Image search: [Google]
40567-44.gif
31KB, 633x322px
Doing a timing belt service tonight for the first time. Engine is a d17a2 in a 2002 civic. Any tips to keep me from bending the valves? Just want to get it right.
>>
>>16345568
Why would you do this yourself? Pay the 450-600 and let the dealer do it.
>>
>>16345568
Mark everything and triple check it before reassembly. If it's any consolation you would have to goof pretty badly to have piston to valve contact. A tooth or two off and worst case scenario the engine would run like shit.
>>
>>16345568
If the cam pulley and crank pulley aren't marked, mark them before you pull the belt.

that's all.

>>16345577
t. mechanic in snap-on debt
>>
Rotate engine by hand at least 2 full rotations after installing new belt. Verify your timing marks.
>>
>>16345577
if there's any vehicle to learn to do it on, it's a 2002 Civic.

I have no real advice for you, OP, but props for taking it on by yourself.
>>
>>16345586
It's not fun work. If you fuck up the engine you're sol. If they fuck up (which they won't most likely) they have to make it right.
>>
I tried this on my accord and removing the bolt for the timing cover literally required me to jump on a 4ft long breaker bar. I swore my head off and gave up, paid a mechanic $300 to do it.

Just buy the timing kit and bring to a mechanic.
>>
I just take a razor knife and cut the existing belt linearly so it's half as thick. Then slide the new belt halfway on all pullies, cut the old belt in half, and slide the new belt the rest of the way on. No chance of fucking it up.
>>
>>16345579
I was wondering how severely out of time it would have to be for it to happen, so that does help ease me.
>>
>>16345621
I have no problems there
>>
>>16345607
If you fuck up a timing belt you're probably mentally retarded.
>>
>>16345627

My belt has already snapped, but a lot more people should think like you, friend.
>>
File: 41-uR8QhFbL.jpg (19KB, 500x406px) Image search: [Google]
41-uR8QhFbL.jpg
19KB, 500x406px
>>16345568
Make sure you have pic related, and buy the special weighted socket to remove the crank bolt.

This will save you a LOT of time. The Honda crank bolts are fucking superman strong.

When removing stuff, set the engine to TDC, and then use zip ties to hold the belt to the camshaft gear while you remove shit around it.
replace the water pump too while you are at it.
>>
File: 81-6eAsHIsL._SL1500_.jpg (126KB, 1500x853px) Image search: [Google]
81-6eAsHIsL._SL1500_.jpg
126KB, 1500x853px
>>16345677
correction, if you have the weighted socket, and impact, you dont need the pic I posted.

https://www.youtube.comhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_FEKDTcYgU&t

https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-77080-Harmonic-Balancer-Socket/dp/B00RGNCV1U/?_encoding=UTF8&tag=reatoorev-20
>>
>>16345599
A 2.slow vw is significantly easier
>>
>>16345568
wush out yu solenoid wit a piece a soap
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.