[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

should i learn how to heel-toe downshift if i never drive

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

File: 2163712ghbe29.png (2MB, 1360x768px) Image search: [Google]
2163712ghbe29.png
2MB, 1360x768px
should i learn how to heel-toe downshift if i never drive on the track ?
>>
File: Bunta-Fujiwara.jpg (37KB, 720x480px) Image search: [Google]
Bunta-Fujiwara.jpg
37KB, 720x480px
Heel-toe downshifting has been useful to me exactly 3 times ever.

Of those 3 times, 2 were possible accidents without using it.

In VERY specific situations where you need to consider getting on the power immediately after slowing down a lot, it can be useful. These situations seldom arise, but being good at it to the point where it is your instinctive reaction to these types of situations is helpful.

For the most part, you'll never actually have a use for it though.
>>
I never really understood the point... why not just leave the clutch in until your foot is off the brake?
>>
>>16345268

When you hold the clutch in, you're not in gear, and if you need to accelerate for any reason, you now have to drop the clutch in whatever gear and it's not gonna be smooth, you're probably gonna be in the wrong gear for speedy acceleration, etc.
>>
>>16345239
If you even have to ask this question the answer is No.

>>16345264
thats not heel toe. thats just engine braking.
>>
>>16345317
>engine braking.
>with the clutch disengaged
>>
>>16345327
???

>where you need to consider getting on the power immediately after slowing down a lot, it can be useful.

That's just downshifting.. you dont have to rev match to downshift.
>>
File: Initial D Girl COME ON NOW.png (437KB, 635x608px) Image search: [Google]
Initial D Girl COME ON NOW.png
437KB, 635x608px
>>16345317

>approaching intersection
>light is green
>50MPH zone
>5th gear
>Some dumbass decides to run a red light coming from the left
>You stand on the brake
>Clutch in
>Select gear 2
>Blip throttle while still on full brake
>Clutch out
>Still on brake because heel toe
>Guys behind you were tailgating and you're gonna get smashed up if you don't accelerate very quickly
>Now whenever you're clear ahead, you have 2nd gear power to get away fast
>Don't hit the guy who ran the red
>Don't get killed by a semi truck or some other F350 cuck behind you who has no idea what safe following distance is
>>
>>16345356
you can do that with out heel toeing
>>
>>16345333
>That's just downshifting.. you dont have to rev match to downshift.
But you should if you want to be smooth and not use the flywheel to bring the clutch up to speed
>>
>>16345407
yeah you should but you dont need to.
and it's the clutch bringing the flywheel up to speed not the other way around.

the purpose of heel toe is to keep the rear tires from breaking traction and unsettling the car. it's not faster.
>>
If you ever want to drive a manual car fast on the track you absolutely need to do it when downshifting. If you just dump the clutch on the entry into a corner you'll most likely lock the driven wheels and spin out. The act of dropping gears and dumping your clutch is also used in drifting. The technique is called ''Shift-lock''

As for learning the heel and toe technique. I recommend watching this video
https://youtu.be/8etqDZL5abU?t=1m36s
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.