[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /o/, let me pick your mind for a sec. I've got a shitbox

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 6

File: IMG_20161207_0737062.jpg (937KB, 1200x755px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161207_0737062.jpg
937KB, 1200x755px
Hey /o/, let me pick your mind for a sec.
I've got a shitbox Civic - it's my first car, and I'm learning as things break. Been doing fine for over a year but this time I need some help.
A few days ago, it was 10 degrees Fahrenheit and my car refused to start. It would crank, and try to fire, but never actually start. I did some troubleshooting and I was getting spark, but it was orange. I assumed the ignition coil and bought one, but when I got home tonight to put it in the car started right back up. The only difference is that it's 10 degrees warmer right now. My only assumption now is that my battery wasn't performing well enough because of the cold, but at the same time it cranked just fine (wasn't slow or anything like it would be with a dying battery). I'm baffled, and Google ain't helping. You guys have any insight?
>>
>>16331638
get a new battery
its cold, the cold sort of brings out any bad batteries
>>
Put a volt meter on your car after you jump it.

SET IT TO 20v!

SET IT TO 20V!

Put the positive lead on the positive lead off the alternator. Place the negative lead on the negative battery terminal. DO NOT PLACE IT ON ALTERNATOR GROUND.

Check and see if you're making about 13-14v

If yes: Check and see if battery will accept charge over time. Should be able to maintain AT LEAST 12.6v when the car is off.

If not: replace alternator and check battery.

CHECK YOUR BATTERY TERMINALS. Make sure that they are secure and not corroded. Remove the negative terminal first and check it, then remove the positive terminal.

Replace in opposite order (positive connected first, then negative)

You'll find that you're welding on your car a lot less if you do that.

Report back.
>>
File: IMG_20160715_201147.jpg (862KB, 1200x867px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160715_201147.jpg
862KB, 1200x867px
>>16331689
Forgive me, just trying to figure this one out - if the battery was going out, why would it crank just fine? Is that not a valid indicator?
>>
>>16331714
>letting your rag hit the floor
Typical chinkshit
>>
File: ej8.jpg (807KB, 1200x658px) Image search: [Google]
ej8.jpg
807KB, 1200x658px
>>16331719
Nigga please, this was when I was done.
>>16331712
Going out now, thanks a ton. Will report back.
>>
File: work.png (101KB, 1020x837px) Image search: [Google]
work.png
101KB, 1020x837px
>>16331723
No biggy man. Not everybody on this board is a troll.

I do a lot of automotive wiring every day.
>>
>>16331714
I too like dirt in my rag
>>
>>16331723
2 AM here gonna crash.

If you put the battery on a charger and it doesn't take charge over night, it's probably time to replace it.

If your alternator leads are clean and connected correctly (tight, cannot be moved by human hands etc) and your battery terminals are all good, new batter etc and you're not making the right voltage, but don't wanna go get an alternator try adjusting the belt if you can. If the belt slips you won't generate enough voltage.
>>
File: battery.jpg (790KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
battery.jpg
790KB, 1200x900px
>>16331712
Okay, so for some context I killed the battery trying to get it started when it initially broke down.
So, after jumping it tonight and letting it run for a while, both the battery and the alternator SEEM to check out.
With the car off, putting the meter on the battery itself I'm getting a steady 12.63v.
With the car on, it shot up to 14.5v. I turned on as many accessories/lights as I could, and that voltage stayed stable at about 14 for several minutes, didn't drop below that.
I haven't tested it with the positive lead on the positive of the alternator yet, for the record.
My terminals look like they could use some cleaning, though. Pic very much related.
>>
File: fuck.jpg (795KB, 1192x790px) Image search: [Google]
fuck.jpg
795KB, 1192x790px
Update: Even in (literally) freezing weather it's still fine. It just... works. The spark is a normal color, and it runs perfectly fine.
The weak spark still leads me to believe it's a coil, but I've never heard of one going intermittent like that...
Either way, I'm keeping a spare coil in my car and the tools to put it in. So thanks for the help anons.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.