[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Didn't see a QTDDTOT thread so I started one. It's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 317
Thread images: 49

File: qtddtot.png (4KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
qtddtot.png
4KB, 500x500px
Didn't see a QTDDTOT thread so I started one.

It's gonna start snowing here soon. I've owned my miat for three months. I want to do parking lot donuts when it snows. I want to not wreck my car. Other than objects to crash into, what should I look out for?

Also I really want a front lip/splitter for my miat. I can get them for about a 100 eurobucks but I'd really like to buy something cheap from a wrecker that I can hack up and make fit that way. Have any of you done that? Any tips or tricks?

>I've owned my car for about three months and I love it. Lots to learn but so far its so fun to own and maintain.
>>
>spent 1500 to fix a bunch of emissions stuff in my car
>cel went off, but came back on flashing
>now I'm being told 436 for new spark plugs, wires, and labor

My car has no inspection sticker on it. I feel like I'm getting royally ripped off. What do I do?
>>
>>16329850
OP here. Literally never wrenched on anything mechanical. I just changed my sparkplugs, wires and valve cover gasket.

Watch a bunch of youtube videos on how to do it yourself. I promise you, it's not hard. You just have to have the balls to actually do it.

Invest in some tools to get it all done. All in all it cost me about 130 eurobucks for the whole thing, including tools. It's not expensive, and not that hard. Plus, if you fuck it up anyway at least you'll have tried. It's broken anyway so it doesn't matter much.
>>
>>16329364
I see a 2009 BMW 335i with 58k miles on it listed for $18000 but the blue book value is 15.5. How could I most effectively convince the seller that the car isn't worth the 18k?
>>
>>16329953
show him the blue book value

also

>i know what i got no tirekickers
>>
>>16329966
>>i know what i got no tirekickers
I guess what I meant to ask was if anyone had any success with people who "know what they got."
>>
>>16329850
What car? What did they already fix? There should be an emissions limit, at least in my state when you hit 750 burgers fixing emissions you get a pass.

Also a cel reader will set you back like 6p bucks or vatozone will do or for free. Find out for yourself
>>
>>16329364
old thread >>16298440
Good thing you started this one OP the last one was on they way out.
>>
>>16329974
What are similar models going for?
Call him. Ask him if it had any extras. Ask him if he's flexible at all on price.

You'll get a feel at least before you waste time, but if it's nice and it's the only one on your island or something expect to be fucked.

Personally I always bump the price of everything I list on cl, I consider it asshole tax.
>>
Could someone maybe answer the OP questions?

>how to not fuck up doing snow donuts?

>can i take a front splitter from a different car an hack it up and put it on an mx5? what make/model?
>>
>>16330011
Checked.

Also it's in the bay area, and 335i's with 6MT are exceedingly rare especially in this condition so I'm not looking forward to walking away.
>>
>>16330044
you won't be going anywhere without winter memes
>>
>>16330167

I need grippy winter tires to break traction and do donuts?
>>
>>16330209
winter wheels on the front so you can go sideways. don't need them on the back but i recommend you get some if you plan to go over 40
>>
>>16329953
>335i's with 6MT are exceedingly rare especially in this condition so I'm not looking forward to walking away.

i don't fucking getting it, if the car is so rare why are you bitching that the seller wants a premium for the car ?

fuck blue book value, what matters is what cars in your area are selling for, not what some book says they should be selling for.
>>
>>16330220
That makes sense. Thanks.

Should I be worried about doing some good slides and then suddenly hitting a "grippy" patch? Would that ruin my car? I mean obviously its better if I wouldn't slide around at all but are there serious risks I should take into account?
>>
>>16330239
grippy patches are a cunt. i'm drifting a 1.8 ton car so there's no getting around them. they're not going to destroy anything that's not failing but like all abuse, it can wear down your suspension faster than usual
>>
>>16330238
This, if you think you're making a decent offer on the car, tell him what you'd pay for it then walk away.

If he wants to sell the car bad enough and someone isn't stupid enough to buy it for what the guy wants then he call you back.
>>
>>16329364
I've been driving an '86 Ford Ranger for the past month with no issues, until yesterday morning. I took a sharp turn going 10 mph to beat a yellow light and the rear passenger tire went over the curb and slammed back onto the street. Definitely a bit of a bump, but nothing I thought would end up doing harm. Immediately afterwards, I have trouble accelerating: I'd leave my foot on the gas pedal and it would just accelerate in bursts, dying for a second then going for a second, dying for a second then going for a second, and so on. When stopping at a red light, the engine would sound like it would be on the verge of dying, then it would pick back up again. Made it to the shop, went to work, got off work, got back to the shop and now it won't turn over. The ignition starts and all the lights work, so I wouldn't think it's the battery and I pressed the emergency fuel switch. Nothing. Yes there's gas in it, about half a tank.

So, what the fuck?
>>
>2007 chrysler 300c 140k km 6500 euro
whats the catch? shouldnt they cost more? Is it a good car? I dont know anything about them.
>>
what would you say is more important in a bug out truck, reliability or ease of repair?
more to that point, what's the most unkillable machine you can think of that doesn't rely on electronics to run? obviously decent off-road capability is important too
thinking of getting a "just in case" vehicle and sticking it in the back of my garage
>>
>>16330740
Deuce and a half's fill all of those requirements but, damn if they're not thirsty.
>>
>>16330365
Bad coil or ignition would be my guess.

Coils will work intermittently when going bad.
>>
>>16330800
>ignition/spark plug wires.
>>
>>16330773
I was thinking something more jeep-sized, not a gigantic cargo carrier
like an second-gen diesel Cherokee
>>
>>16329953
KBB doesn't account for cultural and regional anomalies.
Market prices occur naturally not based on some book.
>>
>>16330740
A horse..

No car is easy to repair when the network of tools and parts shuts down unless you plan on bugging out near a machine shop that's powered by solar.
>>
I'm planning on changing my oil. Can I use the [emergency?] jack that comes with the car to set up the jack stands?
>>
>>16330740
some old diesel, convert it to full mechanical
>>
>>16330740
a diesel for sure. nobody will be siphoning large cargo trucks in a shtf situation.
i get you're preparing for a solar flare or emp since you don't want any electronics fucking your shit up. i dont think you can get an engine that's fully independent that actually runs good and has any fuel mileage, not to mention that it'd be noisy af and would tell people "hey look at this running car that's worth millions" so i'd get something that has electronics but keep an extra wiring harness with everything attatched and swap it out when the big boy hits. you want to practice doing this multiple times.
>>
>>16330057
Well so blue book is fucking wrong and he does know what he's got
>>
>>16330365
Fuel filter, you knocked shit lose in tank and it clogged your first filter. $10 fix
>>
>>16330813
Good luck getting one in burger land.

My plan is to shoot the first guy I see with a nice bug out vehicle in the head.
>>
>>16330902
Yes. Make sure you put them at approved support points. The e Jack sucks ass too, you should find a floor Jack on cl instead
>>
>>16331635
Continuing this vane:

My 86 Hardbody literally has all it's electronics contained in a small metal box under the passenger's seat. Swapping it out is a 2 minute job.
Also, if you're expecting a big boom, you could just unplug it and stick it into a faraday cage.

However, from what I've read, most cars will either just need to be restarted or have the battery disconnected and reconnected.
>>
Im a fucking retard. I have no idea how cars work. I'm an adult. This is embarrassing.

Where can I go to learn about cars? Just general exponential knowledge. Like, just, I wanna learn about cars, how they work, how engines work, what the different types of engines are, how other shit works, etc.
>>
Whats the Twingo meme? Is it actually a good car?
>>
>>16331978
lurk
>>
>>16331978
howstuffworks
>>
>>16331983
Doing that already m80

>>16331987
Good lookin out
>>
>>16331978
>Just general exponential knowledge.
e^car = ?????
>>
>>16332012
Buy a shitty, cheap beater.
Take it apart, put it together, fix it up.
Sell it for shekels.

Or just watch Youtube videos.
>>
>>16331978
chrisfix on youtube can get you started but you will never have the confidence unless you've done the thing yourself.

parting out a car is the fastest way to learn though
>>
>>16329364
Idiots around here keep using their high beams during heavy rain. Is this strictly wrong and how can I punish them for it?
>>
>>16332090
>Is this strictly wrong
Yes. Heavy rain has the same effect as snow or fog. Low-mounted fog lights are best.

>how can I punish them for it?
Let them blind themselves and crash like the retards they are.
>>
>>16329364
I have a performance car with 20 inch wheels on it and I read that a lot of owners of the same car run about 40psi in thier tyres, so I've been doing to same. It's come to my attention though that one tyre has a slow leak in it. Over about month (Mabey a tad longer) or so it dropped down to 26psi. The wear isn't all that bad on the tyres atm but is it worth me just buying new rear tyres? I just figure that the pressure dropping all the time could create more wear and I'm hoping that it doesn't go low enough to cause damage at some point (do leaks often get worse over time?)

Also should I just do the rear tyres together or is it really that important to do all four at once?
>>
>>16332382
Low pressure will wear the outside of the tread more than the inside.
Is it worth buying new tires? Depends. Are they old? If not, just take it to a tire shop and have them fix the leak. Yes, leaks can get worse over time.

You don't have to replace all ties at one time, but sets of two or four is best. If you buy two, any tire shop worth a damn will only put the new tires on the rear. New tires are slippery and if they go on the front you'll end up understeering into a tree or something.
Oh and it's very, VERY important your drive axle has a matched set of tires on it. Mismatched tires do bad things to the differential.
>>
>>16332421
Thankyou for the info my man, I'll check the wear on them again when I get back home (I work away) and of they aren't too bad I'll just see if they can plug the leak. To be honest I didn't even think of that as a solution. Much appreciated and I will definitely remember those other points.
>>
>>16330485
bump
>>
Thoughts guys?

https://lasvegas.craigslist.org/cto/5923109282.html
>>
Kind of follow up to this post from last thread >>16329452

Would it be possible to tune a car with variable displacement engine (lets say V8) to run entirely as a 4 cylinder with a preset? I've seen people have like a 3 preset tune with Economy, Stock, and Performance, so essentially the idea would be to program the Economy preset to cut 4 cylinders at all times, even while accelerating.
e.g. if you're super low on gas and far away from a station, you could put it into the Economy preset and make it roughly twice as far.

Additionally, could this be combined with a turbo?
Using the same V8 variable displacement engine as an example, one preset would basically turn the V8 into a turbo 4 (like a makeshift Ecoboost or whatever is in the 4cyl turbo Camaro), another preset would keep it slightly above stock power (aka not taking full advantage of the turbo), and another could be the max performance tune and fully use the turbo to get to 650-750 hp.

Disclaimer: This is mostly just retarded theorizing so just humor me. Also don't be shy about telling me why the above ideas wouldn't work or would be retarded
>>
File: denso-plug.jpg (31KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
denso-plug.jpg
31KB, 600x600px
>>16329364
When changing out spark plugs, how serious is the risk of overtightening them? Do I need a torque wrench or should I just gauge it by hand feel?

I'm not a power lifter or anything, I figured I would get them snug after applying anti-seize, but if I'm wrong please let me know.
>>
>>16333553
Please never post again
>>
>>16333941
great post!
>>
Buying a used SC400 and went to the seller to sign the paperwork. While signing saw a bit of (what looked like) white smoke coming out of the engine. Obviously a little spooked because I'm somewhat new to cars. Checked it out 3 weeks ago and it was fine but heard from the seller that it hasn't been turned on since then, it even needed a start. Is this just something that happens when a car doesn't run for a little bit or is it something serious? The dealer said they would take it to a mechanic on Monday and see what it is.
>>
>>16333553
With enough money any thing is possible, but what you're suggesting would be overly complicated and probably not reliable or easily maintenanced, as you'd have to have a very complex set of cams in addition to having a boost system that would have to be able to direct the boost charge to the pre set cylinders.

All of that would be expensive to r & d and produce as well, and as for the average Joe attempting it him self it would be impossible.
>>
>>16334044
Yes you get condensation collected in the cylinders that are open to the air as well as gas that may have gone bad.

The engine will need an oil change and might not hurt to have the fuel filter changed, with some fuel cleaner additive thrown in for good measure
>>
>>16333878
Get them hand tight then use a wrench for another 1/4 to 1/2 turn.
>>
So what happened to all the vin threads? They used to be plentiful and now they are all gone. How am I supposed to get vin numbers run now?
>>
>>16333553
>if you're super low on gas and far away from a station, you could put it into the Economy preset and make it roughly twice as far.

That's not how it works
>>
File: 1456950399781.gif (2MB, 395x259px) Image search: [Google]
1456950399781.gif
2MB, 395x259px
>10ºF 2AM
>Walking to car
>Unlock, lock, and open trunk don't work
>Physical key doesn't unlock
>Sprint back inside
Why didn't it unlock? Worked ok today but I could feel the blood in my fingers slow
Honda Civic 2012 Deluxe
>>
is it stupid to build an engine to use ITBs and E85 fuel while keeping the stock compression ratio of 9:1? I realize I could run probably 12:1 static CR with E85 but I don't have the means to increase CR nor money for custom pistons.

I'm not looking to build a high-rpm monster though, just doing cam + headers/exhaust + motorcycle ITBs + Megasquirt for fun.
>>
>>16334128
>you'd have to have a very complex set of cams
why would it be any different camming than throwing a turbo on a V8?

>in addition to having a boost system that would have to be able to direct the boost charge to the pre set cylinders
This seems unnecessary because as the anon in the previous thread pointed out, all cylinders would get boosted, but only the active ones would have fuel injected.

Seems like the most difficult thing would be needing access to the car's computer to be able to tap into the cylinder cutoff controls.

>>16334429
>using less cylinders doesn't use less gas
>variable displacement exists for no reason
yes, tell me more about that not being how it works. Or is your objection to me not looking up the actual numbers of the fuel savings and increased range.
>>
>>16334525
>Why didn't it unlock?
Ice.
Or cold grease.
>>
>>16333553

Same anon from the other thread here.

>>16334128

>you'd have to have a very complex set of cams in addition to having a boost system that would have to be able to direct the boost charge to the pre set cylinders.

As for cams, look up the Koenigsegg "free valve" technology. I think they've actually put it into one of their cars now. With a system like that, the valve timing becomes a matter of programming the ECU. I actually can't think of a way to do it properly with normal cams.

As for the blocking of airflow, look up a dual carb intake. Now imagine the carbs are replaced with tubes coming from the intercooler, and that there is a divider between the two intake plenums. Now put drive by wire throttle bodies on it, and program it so that when half the cylinders drop out, one throttle body closes completely off, while the other opens and closes accordingly based on throttle input.

The technology to do this is all in existence already, some of it not very widely used yet, but it's there, out in the world and working. It'd just be a matter of combining all of it into a system that worked.

For an OEM, it would be entirely possible to sell a FI V8 that had an "eco" mode, where half the cylinders stopped receiving fuel, the intake and exhaust valves were both constantly held at wide open, and half the intake was blocked off, so that only the 4 active cylinders received fuel and air. The only real trick left would be to modulate the air flow of the turbo so that you didn't suddenly go from 10 psi of boost to 20 psi of boost, but with variable vane turbochargers, as seen in use on Duramax diesels since the mid-2000's, that also becomes a moot point.

Long story short, for an OEM, it'd be quite feasible. For a retrofit, you'd need some good connections to some odd companies, a lot of tools, a shitload of spare time, and more money than Bill Gates.
>>
Does anyone know the quality of abarth?
I only found out about them the other day and thought they'd be good for teenage drivers because of the small engine size
>>
>>16334643
>Fiat
>>
I don't know much about cars but I know about "stancing".

I saw a guy driving in the snow (about 3-4 inches on the ground) with back wheels that were angled like stancing.

Is that only possible if you do it on purpose, or can cars "stance" themselves? Like something breaks or bends?

I'm just curious because driving in that snow with that car looks really dumb.
>>
File: Fotor_148201887075199.jpg (2MB, 3984x2988px) Image search: [Google]
Fotor_148201887075199.jpg
2MB, 3984x2988px
Anyone know what this "floating exhaust fiber ring" would be for? Came with my midpipe but it slightly larger than the gasket ring (which it came with a replacement of too). Is it a performance gasket ring?
>>
>>16334769
Broken or worn linkages can cause wheels to go out of camber over time yes, but most of what you see on the road now is intentional.
>>
>>16334575
>This seems unnecessary because as the anon in the previous thread pointed out, all cylinders would get boosted, but only the active ones would have fuel injected.
>Seems like the most difficult thing would be needing access to the car's computer to be able to tap into the cylinder cutoff controls.

You don't seem to understand how cylinder deactivation works, in addition to fuel cutoff, the valves themselves have to change timing other wise the engine works against itself every time deactive cylinders pull a vacuum.

Nor do you seem to understand how boost works in conjunction with that.

>>16334637
Is onto something, but what he's proposing still is not cheap and will take time to work into the market
>>
>>16334960
>You don't seem to understand how cylinder deactivation works
>Nor do you seem to understand how boost works in conjunction with that.
Obviously not fully, that's why I'm in here asking and learning.

>in addition to fuel cutoff, the valves themselves have to change timing
I get that, but the engine is already doing that stock. All I'm proposing is a way to essentially keep those cylinders deactivated at all times.
I'm not proposing this for an engine that doesn't already have the ability to cut 4 cylinders, if that's what you're thinking.

As for boost, if you can already boost a car that has variable displacement/cylinder deactivation (e.g. ZL1 Camaro), why would that suddenly be a problem in a system that would leave the cylinders deactivated rather than constantly activating/deactivating them?
>>
>>16334844
cute hands anon
>>
Nigga why my car always be pullin to da right
>>
Not sure how to fix a 2012 Mazda 6 headlight. Might be an electrical issue but I'm too big of a fucking faggot to understand what is going on. Whats my best resource to being able to fix it without having to go to a mechanic?
>>
>>16335207
Steering box is fucked
Tie rods are fucked
Ball joints are fucked
Ambulocetus in passenger seat
Tire too small on right side

Pick one.
>>
File: 1443751514296.jpg (17KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1443751514296.jpg
17KB, 400x400px
>mfw didn't realize vacuum line from TCV to wastegate actuator should be as short as possible
anyone else have tips from doing stupid shit?
>being retarded is how I learn
>>
>>16334545
>implying anyone here knows anything
take some sicc pics and make your own thread filled with OC
>>
File: IMG_0331.png (1MB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0331.png
1MB, 640x1136px
Is it really true that warming up you're car when it's cold is actually bad for the engine?
>>
What exactly gets adjusted during an alignment?
>>
>>16335479
no
>>
>>16335482
for a regular normie alignment, camber and toe.
>>
>>16334545
Yes it's stupid.
Why the fuck do you want to use e85, literally pointless.
>>
>>16335368
clean contact points
check ground
check fuse
replace bulb
>>
>>16334844
You have very pretty hands, senpai
>>
File: IMG_1039.jpg (70KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1039.jpg
70KB, 800x600px
94 Impreza sedan 75k
These any good? Reviews say they aren't bad, I deliver pizzas would it survive?
>>
looking for a new (to me) car. thinking about some awd now that snow hit.

>awd
>sedan
>manual trans
>american made

the problem is, american automakers only make their trucks and suvs with awd

pls help
>>
>>16336126
AMC
>>
File: 00b0b_cklExPlKe5j_1200x900.jpg (57KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
00b0b_cklExPlKe5j_1200x900.jpg
57KB, 900x900px
http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/5896877082.html

I am very close to flying to Colorado to pick this up. What do I need to have done to the car so that I can legally drive it back to my home state (getting it registered there is another matter)? Concern is because it doesn't have any plates and the owner said it hasn't been inspected, I don't want to end up in the middle of the country 3k poorer with no way out.
>>
>>16336126
There's the Taurus SHO and charger, but those are auto only.

Your info is vague too, price range? Are you looking for something sporty?
Also you do know american automakers are building cars in mexico, and jap automakers are building cars in america, "domestic" doesn't really mean anything anymore.
>>
>>16336237
>non-wrx
>non-original engine
>no plates but yet clean title
>"runs great"
>flying to a different state to pick up that shitbox

Fucking dropped

Just save a up a little more and get a stock WRX.
>>
>>16336306
less than 20k considering it's a used vehicle
just looking for a dd that can be used for some light fun on the weekends.

i want it "domestic" so that aftermarket parts don't cost me an arm and a leg
>>
>>16336328
The closest thing I can think of is a Focus ST. Yeah its a hatch but you still have four doors and yeah its FF but still plenty of fun. Decent aftermarket too. If you want domestic just for cheaper parts subaru's have as big as an aftermarket as anything
>>
>>16336338
i've test driven the st before, it's nice. but it's honestly just a step above my cvt versa
>>
>>16336327
I like GC8 too much to get a real wrx, but I see your point
>>
>>16336392
Are you sure it was an ST and not just a regular base model?

109 vs 252 horsepower is little more than step up senpai
>>
>>16336408
i mean in terms of seating, drive, comfort, etc.
>>
>>16335479
Idling for long periods Is generally bad, that's the premise, but it's not likely you'll see any repercussions from warming it up in the morning
>>
>>16335516
because I can and it's a lot cheaper at the pump
>>
>>16335482
Steering rods (the two long things at each end of a steering rack, pic related) have adjustable lenght.
By adjusting the length of the rods, you can "steer" the wheels so they are aligned properly.

When you go for an alignment, they loosen the retaining nut on the rods, spin the rods themselves and make them shorter/longer according to what the alignment machine says, then they lock the nut again and you are good to go.

Most road cars don't have adjustable camber, but you can still change it a little bit by adjusting alignment because of the caster angle. Generally speaking, shortening the rods (so going for toe in or less toe out) increases negative camber by a tiny amount, while making the rods longer (toe out or less toe in) will give more positive camber.
>>
What temperatures do they measure oil at for it's two weights? I need to pick up some motor oil for a lathe, and I'm trying to get SAE at around 40-75F.
>>
File: DSC_0009.jpg (2MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0009.jpg
2MB, 2560x1440px
I saw this on the way home from work.
What could cause this to happen?
>>
>>16337335
Viscosity @ 100ºC, cSt, (ASTM D445)
Viscosity @ 40ºC, cSt, (ASTM D445)
Viscosity @ -30ºC mPa s (cP) (ASTM D5293)

>>16337349
Lower ball joint failure
Lower control arm failure
Frame failure
>>
Sometimes when I drive over bumps or turn, my front right suspension makes a "twang" sound.
Anyone know what the issue is?
>>
>>16337401
Check for chinamen under your car.
>>
What's purpose of these pieces of plastics near registration plate? I see them only on US vehicles, are these for ascetics?
>>
What does, for example, 205 lb/ft of torque @ 5000RPM? You get 205 lb/ft of torque at 5000RPM? What about from 0-4999RPM? What about 5001+RPM?
>>
>>16338373

What does it mean*
>>
>>16338373
it's when the engine accomplishes peak torque. engines typically don't make power in a linear band, it increases and even decreases as the revs increase.
bigger engines make peak torque down low, then it slowly falls off from there, smaller engines make peak hp up high and it quickly climbs as the engine revs
>>
>>16338373
>>16338412
like so
>>
Whats the first things you should do to your vehicle, maitinence wise, when you purchase a used vehicle?

Specifically a 2006 350z.
>>
>>16338542
drain and refill all the fluids

>2006 350z
Don't forget to get a bottle of z-juice from the dealership
>>
>>16338551
Is it a good thing that I dont know what z-juice is?
>>
>>16337236
Its cheaper.. But you get way less mpg so its the same.

Building a car and then crppling it with e85 makes no sense
>>
what is "I know what I've got?"

What's wrong with a diesel Punto?
>>
>>16338551
>drain and refill all the fluids
I've hear this a lot, and it makes sense for used cars because you don't know what the previous fuckbag owner had in there.
Does the same thing apply for a new vehicle bought from a dealership? Like less than 100 miles on the car so it should just have factory fluid in it.
>>
>>16338707
It's what people who over price their cars say.
It's usually ricers or boomers that actually don't know what they got (it's shit but they think it's good) so it's ironic and thus humorous.

Sometimes people actually do know what they got though.

>>16338829
no

>>16338211
I've never seen that. it's fucking ugly though. looks like Lidar, but too big. do you have another example on a different car.
>>
If you have something like 6 piston Brembo brakes, do things like pads and rotors cost more than replacing them on "regular" brakes?
>>
>>16339055
probably.
>>
File: pors.jpg (135KB, 1224x816px) Image search: [Google]
pors.jpg
135KB, 1224x816px
>>16339009
>>
File: 1364354859022.gif (628KB, 245x242px) Image search: [Google]
1364354859022.gif
628KB, 245x242px
I got pulled over today going 68 in a 55 with inspection 11 months overdue and expired registration. Only got ticketed for the inspection, which is $100+88 surcharge. Feels great man, like getting away with murder. I don't even give a shit I'm out almost $200, it could have been so much worse.

Is there any chance the DMV, while processing the paperwork, will note my expired registration at the time of the ticket (proof I was driving it like that) and fine me of their own volition?
>>
File: priest.webm (194KB, 458x356px) Image search: [Google]
priest.webm
194KB, 458x356px
Where did vin check guy go?
>>
>>16340451
The VIN check sites started jewing people so he can't afford it anymore.
>>
File: IMG_20160906_143050_01.jpg (668KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160906_143050_01.jpg
668KB, 2048x1536px
Alright I need something to day dream about. 930, 964, 997 turbo (rwd conversion), or 991.2 GT3. All would see occasional track duty.
>>
>>16340515
What did they change? I thought they had unlimited check memberships.

I gotta say he helped me a lot. Found a great cheap vehicle from an old guy.
>>
>>16340156
Yes, odds are they knew about it already.
>>
Can someone explain to me why I cannot find a dog box transmission with helical gears?

The gears themselves don't move. The only thing that's changing is the engagement. Why can't a dog box use helical gears? Is there something I'm missing?
>>
>>16341151
>take normal transmission
>remove synchros
Congrats you now have a dogbox
>>
File: 1480556518419.jpg (45KB, 629x419px) Image search: [Google]
1480556518419.jpg
45KB, 629x419px
Situation:

>college student, live in extremely snowy area. 24-36 inchest last weekend.
>current car broken, trading to a RwD lincoln.

Question:
On top of getting snow tires, is getting a 5000 lb winch a good idea? If I buy a winch, how do I safely mount it to the car?
>>
>>16330485
>Chrysler
>Good car
pick one.
>>
My car ran/chugged for a few seconds after I turned it off. What could be the cause of that? It's an 89 mercury.
>>
>>16342049
demons
>>
>>16340837
this, he will be sorely missed

>>16341841
>winch
>for a car
get a come-along instead if you don't have a fuckhueg vehicle that you off-road constantly
they're good if you don't plan on getting stuck
>they're way cheaper to own and maintain
>useful for other non-car projects
>can pull vehicle from front or back
>5,000 lbs rated one will be more than you will ever need to get most cars out of a ditch
>fits in trunk, not permanently mounted, isn't more shit to steal off your vehicle
only downside is it's a bitch to use in the cold, but so is any manual labor
>>
>>16342049
leaky injector and carbon buildup in the cylinders
>>
I plan on road tripping from commiefornia to NY, have about 3 weeks to do it, havn't decided on a route to take from colorado to NY, any recommendation? interesting shit to see along the way?
>>
File: 1480325956277.jpg (74KB, 691x780px) Image search: [Google]
1480325956277.jpg
74KB, 691x780px
>>16340156
>DMV
commiefornian detected
>but then
>inspection
wut
>will dmv fine me?
DMV bases reg. fines on how late you are when you re-register.
>cop already knew you'd have to pay $300+ to smog and make it legal again
>yfw got away with murder

I really hope this is bait, who drives for 11 months on expired tags?

t. drove around for 5 months w/o tags
>>
When it comes to handling/control/safety in snow, what matters more: the car or the tires?
>>
What is oversteering/understeering?
>>
>>16342147
>be best bb blayer in the borld
>have to wear chinese flip flops constantly
>eat shit/lose sandals every game

>we worst ww wlayer in the world
>have some really sick chucks
>never eat shit or lose shoes during games
>you are now scotty pippen/a honda civic
tl;dr- good shoes, good tires, and good beds:
the only three things you should never skimp on when buying
>>
>>16342187
oversteer is a loss of control
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoICf55jED8
understeer is also loss of control
>>
>>16342211
That was great. Thank you.
>>
>>16342189
Good answer. Thank you.
>>
Trying to learn more about cars, starting with the basics since I'm basically retarded

Engine: 4L, 1.8L DOHC 16V

Can someone explain what each of those means? Here's my understanding so far

4L is the number of gears it has (like first, second, third, fourth gear.)

1.8L still not super confidant I understand this one

DOHC means Dual Overhead Cams, which is the bar thing with the knobs on it that opens the vents and Dual means there is one to let the air in and a seperate one to let the exhuast out

16V is 16 valves which means...I have 4 pistons cranking away and each one has two intake and two exhaust valves on it?

Anyone wanna check my work?
>>
>>16342412
>4L
Probably 4, inLine AKA I4 or R4 if you're German

>1.8L
1.8 liters displacement, the capacity of the cylinders

>DOHC
You got that one figured out.

>16V
You got that one, too.
>>
>>16329364
What do I need to inflate my tires to?

Doorjam says 35 PSI cold
What the fuck does cold mean? Like frozen cold, or room temperature "cold"

Its -5F here right now, my TPS is triggering two tires that are at 28PSI, others are at 29-31PSI.

Summer time all tires sit at 40psi, or 42 after driving some.

So what should I bring them up to?
>>
>>16342457
>4, inLine
Thats how they are arranged, right?

l
l
l
l

vs a V arrangement
l
l
l
l

>1.8 liters displacement, the capacity of the cylinders
Ok. Thats the amount of air/gas mix that gets compressed to get the engine going.

Spark Plug
L
of
space
_____
PISTON
>>
>>16342492
35 psi
>>
>>16342513
>V Arrangement

That didnt format properly
I meant

l
---l
l
---l
>>
>>16342492
Ambient temperature cold.
>>
>>16340103
probably lights for the license plate. they are required in the US. but that's a fucking ugly way of accomplishing it.
>>
>>16342513
>>16342520
>Thats how they are arranged, right?
On the nose mate.

You've mostly got the displacement, except that 1.8L is divided between the 4 cylinders. Or, 450 cubic centimeters per cylinder
So:

Spark Plug
C
C
of
space
_____
PISTON
>>
>>16342541
I see. So the L listing for it when I see that on engines is the total divided by the number of cylinders.

So a 4L 1.8L Is
1.8 Litres of displacement space divided by 4 cylinders that are arranged in a line

Whereas an engine thats a 3.6L V6 is
3.6L of displacement area divided between 6 cylinders arranged in a V formation
>>
>>16342568
You got it.
Here, the pic in the first post of this thread >>16335150 will help you visualize engine configurations.
The most common are I4, V6 and V8, but some cars have other configurations. I3, I5 and flat-4 being the most common of those.
>>
>>16342598
That picture is a big help visualizing this. Thanks!
>>
>>16342135

If I were you, I'd take I 70 through Utah, Colorado, and Kansas then, after St. Louis, I 64 through Illinois and Kentucky, etc.

That drive through Utah is hard to beat. Absolutely beautiful. Then it's still awesome through Colorado. Kansas blows but it's better than Nebraska.

If you're into booze, try a few of the stops on the Kentucky Bourbon Trail. http://kybourbontrail.com/
Lots of interesting old distilleries to visit. It's pretty corporate but it's still a fun trip.

If you have the time, the Tail of the Dragon is on the border of KY and NC. It's super overrated. But if you have three weeks to make the trip you might as well just to say you did.

On your way through Devner, I'd stop for a drink or 17 at the One-Up. http://www.the-1up.com/ One of the best barcades I've ever been to.

While going through Utah, any national park you have time to stop at will be amazing. All of them. There's something about the geography and the earth's layers in the area. I don't know exactly, I was drunk as shit when I was there. But the rock formations at most of the parks in Utah are unique to each park and location. You can go to five parks an they'll all look different.

All of the good roads around Rocky Mountain National Park are closed this time of year. You're SOOL.

Where in NY are you going? I've been to a few of the parks there and might have recommendation. Unless you're going to NYC.
>>
What performance car can I get with around a 200-250 dollar a month payment? I did an insurance quote for a fiesta ST and they will rape me at around 250 a month too because my driving record is shit.

So what car can I get that's in or around the same insurance bracket as a Fiesta ST?
>>
>>16342619
There's also Wikipedia, too. A few articles there have animations showing how they fire, like this inline 6.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straight-six_engine
>>
>>16342492
hot means after driving. it's meaningless for commuting.

for instance, R compounds don't work till they are 190-200 deg
They can gain well over 10psi at that temp.

if you want your hot pressure to be 35psi you'd start cold at 25psi depending on weight, driver experience, etc.

but for regular driving it doesn't matter. you'll never get them hot enough. so you start at 35 ambient.
>>
>>16342639
This is great. For anyone else lurking like me, How Stuff Works also has some pretty easy to understand animations, if you're curious.
>>
I have a 16 valve head for a volvo b230, is making a destroker (for revs) a bad idea?
>>
>>16343043
you can't destroke an engine without changing the crank.

and it's not the throw that limits revs it's the valve train.
although the throw can limit power up high, making revs useless, due to increased piston speed.

if you want more revs you need 1) stronger rods, probably and 2) stronger lighter valve train
>>
Hey all - just finished converting a car from auto to manual w/ hydraulic clutch and i cant seem to select gears when the car is running.

Im getting maybe 15-20mm of movement from the clutch fork, is this about right? It doesnt seem like much
>>
>>16343334
did u bleed the clutch?
>>
>>16343334
Engine running? Clutch not disengaging, bleed the clutch hydraulics.

Engine not running? Try other gears.
>>
>>16343063
>stronger lighter valve train
Like harder springs and seats and lighter valves.
Should i port the head for better flow as well?
>>
>>16329850
You should be able to manage that on your own. Get the wires and plugs online. You'll also need a spark plug socket, an extension probably, and a torque wrench. Total cost will be about $100
>>
>>16330852
>Getting a vehicle that only makes 1 hp to the hooves
Wew lad
>>
>>16330902
Those things terrify me and I would never get under a car supported by just them, but if you're more ballsy than me go for it
>>
>>16338211
Probably filler that would otherwise be taken up by a euro sized plate
>>
>>16343334
Turn off the engine, engage a low gear, press the clutch pedal, crank the engine.
Is the car moving even though you have the clutch down?
If yes, then you have to bleed the clutch better

If no, then you probably have to adjust the gear selection cables/rods/stick so they can actually engage gears.

All this is assuming the gearbox is fine.

Another test to do to be extra sure the cables/rods/stick have to be adjusted is to have someone in the car, the engine running and the clutch depressed and manually engage gears directly from the gear selector on the gearbox (assuming it is reachable by hand), if the gears engage fine, then you need to adjust that stuff
>>
I have a big hole in my muffler, should I use a normal aluminum can to patch it or a steel can?
>>
>>16343860
Steel
>>
>>16342145
>commiefornian detected
Every state has a DMV you idiot

The car is older than 25 years so I don't need emissions to pass, but the frame has rust holes in it. It's not awful and gonna break in half at any moment, but nobody will pass it either. The inspection was up in Jan 2015 and the sticker color doesn't change until Jan 2016, so as long as I didn't get pulled over, no cops would notice the fact it has expired (they would know from a glance at the sticker color, or running my plates). That's why I kept driving it.
In the meantime I've been fixing up my project car to drive that instead, because I'd rather finish it and use it than pour money into the frame repairs on my DD piece of shit.

Also the registration was expired because you can't renew registration here without a current inspection.
>>
>>16343860
How big is the hole? Cut the aluminum can into a large enough patch and just JB weld it to the muffler.
>>
>>16344200

Aluminum and JB Weld will hold with all that heat?
>>
>>16344335

Sure. It's just the muffler and not further up closer to the engine. I've patched a lot of mufflers with aluminum and JB weld. Even if it cracks and leaks a bit it's still a smaller crack and leak than it was before.

It's not the best solution but it's an almost free solution. Doesn't hurt to at least try it.
>>
>>16344404

Ok I'll try that. Thanks.
>>
>>16337401
Underrated post
>>
How bad is it for wear on the suspension to drive a fwd shitbox fairly fast (about 40mph) on a really bumpy rural dirt road every day?
>>
>>16344442
I'd say it's at least 13 bad
>>
File: 1476495760784.jpg (96KB, 650x774px) Image search: [Google]
1476495760784.jpg
96KB, 650x774px
>>16344167
>the frame has rust holes in it
i didn't think you'd be a full-blown mongoloid and be driving around with such a dangerous flaw
that cop should have thrown the book at you to teach your faggot ass a lesson
>yfw murder got away with
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-12-10-02-06-29.png (780KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-12-10-02-06-29.png
780KB, 720x1280px
Should I buy a Crossfire for £4000 (or less)?

What else is there that I should be considering?
>>
I don't suppose any anons on here could direct me to a good website for finding older STi's, could they?
I've been looking all around, and Google can't find me shit. I'm looking specifically for an 04-05, preferably with somewhat low mileage, and around $20,000.
I feel like I'm not being too nitpicky here, I just want one that hasn't been thrashed to shit and I have a raging hard-on for that model. Of course, I've found 2015's with 8,000 miles on them for $27,000... Am I just being dumb for wanting an older model?
>>
File: Screenshot_2015-12-03-16-03-31-1.png (919KB, 1080x783px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-12-03-16-03-31-1.png
919KB, 1080x783px
Hey guys I just about got to work today when I blew one of the axles on my s14. The diff is shimmed and it sheared the bolts holding the cv to the diff going around a tight turn. Now I'm wondering can I just pull the broken axle out and drive home on one or will I fuck my diff? Thanks
>>
>>16344875
Is it really worth it? Why not just tow it.
>>
>>16344875
Unless you have a locker or spool you aren't going anywhere. lrn2diff
>>
>>16344909
It'll be $100+ easy. I'll probably just fix it here if I can get a friend to pick up a spare axle.

>>16344929
It's an lsd shimmed tight enough to be locked basically. I already drove it the rest of the way to work like that
>>
>>16344167
>Every state has a DMV you idiot
Most don't ever look at the car. Hell most don't do emissions at all. Nobody in the Midwest even checks the color, much less looks at the frame. The dmv never even see the vehicle in most states. The two I lived in with emissions checked the emissions and not one fucking other thing...not lights, not brakes, not paint color and certainly not the engine bay nor anything underneath. Idiot.
>>
>>16344943
>basically

Most are basically tighter not locked, not as good as welded. But yeah if it moves you can pull the shaft and drive it...off-road fags do it all the time.
>>
>>16344471
>such a dangerous flaw

don't ever drive in the Midwest friendo
>>
Are there any special kinds of crimps I should use that are car specific? or just any electrical crimps?
>>
>>16344985
You shouldn't use crimps, but any appropriately sized by wire will work for the lazy.
>>
File: 1439929800406.jpg (51KB, 460x460px) Image search: [Google]
1439929800406.jpg
51KB, 460x460px
>>16344982
>implying frame damage is always superficial
>yfw you realize this is why your state has inspections
>>
Would it be possible to use a raspberry pi as a budget ECU/ECM?
>>
>>16344966
Cool cheers for that. Yeah welded diffs are illegal here so people get around it by shimming which is perfectly fine but pretty much the same thing.
>>
>>16344993
I plan on buying a o2 sensor that is the same one as in my car but with a different electrical connector for another car. oem one for my car is $60 with proper connectors. Other one is $10 but I need to splice it in, I have read that you shouldn't solder for car applications.
>>
File: 1369593711744.jpg (262KB, 650x842px) Image search: [Google]
1369593711744.jpg
262KB, 650x842px
>>16329364
My 96' 6.5td Suburban just died.
How can I stop feeling?
>>
>>16345019
should be possible but hard
>no way to transfer OE program, would have to rewrite
>would have to have an adapter or run off 12v DC
>one might not be powerful enough
>custom wiring loom required
i'm just scratching the surface of obstacles

>>16345026
>don't solder for auto applications
i would totally recommend soldering
use some lead free solder, it melts above 400 degrees f.
if the engine bay gets to be the melting point of it
you have bigger problems than a failed o2 sensor
>>
File: be03a08d.png (473KB, 789x415px) Image search: [Google]
be03a08d.png
473KB, 789x415px
>>16345033
>How can I stop feeling?
>>
File: FB_IMG_1482167506233.jpg (27KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1482167506233.jpg
27KB, 500x500px
Hopefully some one can help my ameuture mechanic self. I have an 04 Impala and the AC/Heat blower motor has been working intermittently the last couple days. I was doing some research and I do not believe that it is an electrical issue. Furthermore I just discovered that if I give it some love taps underneath the motor it will kick on again (motor won't come on when car is started, or if it is turned all the way off).

I just ordered a replacement motor. Am I on the right track here?
>>
89 foxbody ignition problems.
Cranks no start.
Things it's not: TFI module, coil, ignition switch, cap and rotor.

When I turn the key to the ON position and touch nothing else, the system makes a clicking noise. It sounds like CLICK click, 1-2 seconds, then repeats forever. What could cause this?
>>
>>16344985
S O L D E R I N G

But if you insist, I am very happy with the value pack I got at advance: it has crimps and butt ends for most common gauges, and included a crimping and stripping tool
>>
File: 1480734331826.jpg (105KB, 630x354px) Image search: [Google]
1480734331826.jpg
105KB, 630x354px
>>16345465
Maybe it's the death throes of your fuel pump or fuel pump relay. The fuel pump at least activates when you turn the key to the run position, if something is broken with it I guess it could make a clicking noise.
>>
File: 1450113107903.jpg (34KB, 374x218px) Image search: [Google]
1450113107903.jpg
34KB, 374x218px
>>16345526
It isn't the fuel pump because the pump is brand new. It does prime.
>>
>>16345549
Shit thought I was pretty smart there for a sec. If you're getting spark my bet is on something fuel or air related. Of course your battery has a full charge, right? I know dick all about fox bodies but I'm just imagining what I would do if my car had that issue
>>
Basic knowledge anon here again if anyone wants to check my work

Key goes in ignition.
Turning key engages starter system
Start system sends electric charge from battery to starter solenoid.
Starter solenoid is a thing inside the car that used that big electric charge to basically force everything to get started (starts the pistons moving, the ignition system igniting, the intake valves intaking, etc)
If everything is all good, the engine starts working normally, compressing air and gasoline and all that good stuff, and all the other systems start working and you have a running car.

Okay, now I'm making assumptions on things I've learned

"My car won't start because the battery is dead"
The starter solenoid can't get an electric charge from the battery because the battery has been drained, therefore your engine can't get going from that initial pulse of electricity

"My car won't turn over. It just makes the chug chug chug sound"
Somethings getting fucked up between the starter solenoid and the engine. The engine is not starting the combustion process, and is therefore only receiving the initial charge but not going on its own.
>>
File: 22_556402844.jpg (244KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
22_556402844.jpg
244KB, 1600x900px
>>16329364
Is 1 years salary too much for a car loan?

Is it stupid to buy a brand new petrol car in 2016? Live in eurocuck. Government hates emissions
>>
>>16345143
sounds good but you should have tested it with a multimeter first to 100% make sure it's the motor
>no one ever does this, even me

>>16345635
>Starter solenoid is a thing inside the car that used that big electric charge to basically force everything to get started (starts the pistons moving, the ignition system igniting, the intake valves intaking, etc)
not exactly, starter solenoid is a component that activates the bendix inside your starter
this engages with the flywheel and spins your crankshaft
think of it as the trigger on the drill that makes your engine spin
it only controls the starter however, everything else has other triggers which may or may not be mechanically set off by the engine
TL;DR- vehicles use electricity to engage and disengage a solenoid to operate a small electric motor to start the car, not just pure electricity

>car won't start battery is dead
>The starter solenoid can't get an electric charge from the battery because the battery has been drained, therefore your engine can't get going from that initial pulse of electricity
almost, but the charge isn't enough to engage the bendix or operate the electric motor
>My car won't turn over. It just makes the chug chug chug sound
the chug chug chug is the sound of the car turning over.
what you have described is a lack of air or fuel or possibly spark, but if engine is cranking (chug chug chug) this is less likely
>>
I have a 1995 mustang GTS and the door ajar bell sounds even when the keys aren't in the ignition, is this normal?
>>
>>16345143
>Furthermore I just discovered that if I give it some love taps underneath the motor it will kick on again
Were there any weird noises? Sounds like the bushings went out in the motor and the armature/impeller is dragging. They're plain oilite bronze bushings so they work until... they don't haha.
Since you already ordered a new one the thing to do is swap it out and see if it keeps happening.
>>
>>16346412
Is the door open?
>>
>seriously considering an incredibly clean 2011 crown vic police interceptor that's in my area
Pretty much everyone says they've been raised an inch or two to help the car go over curbs and the handling suffers a bit as a result. Is that just the suspension, or is there any major structural differences involved in that?
>>
>>16346918
the have a heavy duty suspension and some other cool cop stuff like bigger exhaust
the vehicle does not suffer from it
everything else is swappable with stock towncars/grand marquis/crown vics
if you're going to worry about anything, make it the idle hours the vehicle has seen or the accident it had to make the department want to dump it
>one time where i live is just beginning to sell off the pre-2005s
>your police state may vary
>>
>>16329364
on a driving test

if the road is actually 60+ km/h, will I lose points for underspeeding if I go at the unposted speed limit (50 km/h) because there's no speed limit sign immediately after turning into the street?
>>
>>16346959
I'm in Minnesota, been seeing a lot of police chargers and whatever SUVs they're using, very few crown vics these day and I regularly see police vehicles form three or four towns in my area.
Looks like it's in the hands of someone who bought it at auction, can I just get the VIN and get any useful information off it like a civilian car? or do the police say what kind of damage put it out of service?
>>
>>16347289
it may have an idle hour counter
the VIN may give you info like what department it was with but may not have any crash info
you could always try tho, and you can see how long it's been in public hands
you might want to check the frame and control arms as well
>>
>>16347328
I mean, at the very least I'd have a mechanic look at it but that just seems like common sense.
>>
>>16345104
my sides
>>
File: 20161220_012149.jpg (1MB, 1642x1668px) Image search: [Google]
20161220_012149.jpg
1MB, 1642x1668px
R-roughly how many shekels do you think this will cost to make it look like it never happened.
I accedently a nice lady's pickup
>>
>>16347760
6-800
>>
>>16347783
Thats what i was thinking. In the grand scheme of things it wont be worse than the insurance hike but looks like lik bro aint getting shit for christmas except the gift of reality.
>>
>>16329953
Shoot him a offer for $15,000 and if he doesn't bite keep it moving.

>>16330057
>Bay Area

wait a few weeks. 335i/135i 6MTs are exceedingly common on the coasts, otherwise travel and buy one if you want one sooner (look in SoCal).

I'm doing my oil pan gasket, I went out of my way to sand down the mating surfaces of both the block and pan. Used 150/320 grit sandpaper + PB Blaster to keep it "wet". Am I good to go with putting the gasket back on?

Pic 1/3
>>
>>16347990
Its a huge fucking bitch to do (have to drop subframe, rack, etc) so I'd rather it not fucking leak.

I actually think I went overboard because the outer edges with the "rust" aren't even sealing surfaces, they touch the metal part of the gasket. The gasket has a thin rubber strip on the inside that actually seals.
>>
>>16347996
I might use "The Right Stuff" RTV on both sides of the metal part of the gasket as a fail safe. Its on a E36 M3 if it helps (same job as doing it on every other 6cyl 80s-early 00s BMW).
>>
>>16347990
>>16347996
>>16348007

As long as there's no old gasket material left on the surfaces, no oil or grease on the surfaces, and they aren't warped to shit, it'll be fine.
So, wash both mating surfaces down with some alcohol or brake cleaner. You're making the right call with the sealant. Even if there's scratches or you have a wavy pan, that stuff will fill it in and seal up nice.

I don't know if that engine has an aluminum or stamped steel pan, but either way look up the torque specs and follow them. I've seen way too many warped pans because some gorilla decided the bolts needed 100 foot pounds on them lol.
>>
>>16348039
Aluminium Pan for all 6cyl BMWs on Iron Block.

And yeah, thanks. Its held in 27 or so tiny 10mm bolts, so i'll snap one off before overtorquing it. There are a few scratches too and I might've sanded off more material than needed on the pan on some spots, so I'll probably use it regardless.

I'm gonna call the shop I bought my pan baffle and ask how they tackle it just in case (Achilles Motorsports, specifically whether to RTV or not and which/where).

I kinda wish I knew how to change the rod bearings (car has 136k miles, setting up for track use and it looks piss-easy to do with the pan off but I've never done it before).
>>
>>16348078
I do highly recommend using the sealant. It doesn't look like there's anywhere you shouldn't use it, but do be careful to not use too much. A 1/16" bead (or less) is all you need.

Rod bearings are indeed easy. You just need to be very careful about not scratching the crankshaft journal or the bore in the rod. Also use plastigage to make sure you have enough oil clearance with the new bearings. Use something plastic or wood to scrape the plastigage off the journal/bearing shell, and use assembly lube so the bearings don't get destroyed the first time you turn the engine over.
>>
Buying my first car soon. I live in Albania and will buy used. I got 2 options.
Buy from the internet which can be hit or miss with problems or whatever kind of little trick to get cucked which are usually ~150k km
or buy from a trusted source that i know the car is in good condition but theyre ~200k km
Im specifically talking about the Golf V
Which would you choose?
No I do not have any options for civics and corollas. Theyre all mercs vw and bmw here.
>>
Is there any aftermarket ECU with VVT-control?
>>
>>16346412
Pull the fuse mate
>>
>>16348485
There's plenty of cars with VVT and reprogrammable ECUs, if that counts as aftermarket. Almost every car with a reflashable/programmable ECU can control/adjust VVT point. If not programmable through a reflash, it could use a EEPROM or a soldered on piggyback chip (think Hondata KPro/S300).

If you meant standalone, AEM/Megasquirt can launch the space shuttle if you have the time/energy to program them. They're used on plenty of VVT cars, VTEC Hondas especially.
>>
>>16346696

Yeah once or twice after giving it the knocks it made a weird rattling noise.
>>
>>16341877
You're not wrong. My PT cruiser has an airbag problem and the AC doesn't fucking work and I can't even reach the fuck low pressure valve to try to recharge it and check for leaks.
>>
>>16349162
You can still charge the whole system using only the high pressure valve, it takes slightly longer but it works just as well.
You can't do the same using only the low pressure one, don't ask me why, my guess it the system has some non-return valves that don't allow the gas to go from the high pres side to the low press side (plus the compressor itself is blocking one end of the loop), but they allow it to go in the opposite direction.

Some old cars only come with a single charging valve on the high pressure side, apparently it was normal back then.
>>
>>16344515

Re-asking.

Is a 2.6 CLK a better bet?
>>
>>16348757
thanks lad!
>>
>>16348078
>>16348123
I just got off the phone with the head mechanic from Achillies (BMW race shop, same one that sold me the baffle):

Use Permatex Ultra Grey or Black, don't use "The Right Stuff", will make future removal impossible

Put sealant on both sides of metal part of gasket (since metal won't compress), none on rubber on the inside of gasket. Then smear it around with a rag once you torque the bolts down.

Red or Blue Loctite is fine on Safety Wired Oil Pump Sprocket Nut, I'm going to use Red. If I ever have to remove the pump I'm not reusing it, lol. I'm going to use blue loctite and a torque wrench on every bolt for reassembly (oil pan, subframe, rack, and suspension) because I have autism.

They do recommend rod bearings (new bearings and rod bolts, OEM or aftermarket) if being used as a track car, solely due to peace of mind factor of having new bearings. I'll leave them alone though, I'm actually a little scared to do the rod bearings if mine aren't obviously worn. Its just tempting because its 10 bolts for the windage tray and they're fully accessible.

I'm going to use blue loctite on every bolt for reassembly (oil pan, subframe, rack, and suspension).
>>
>>16349192
A Crossfire is just a rebadged SLK with a crappier interior.

I'd just personally avoid either and go for a BMW Z4. Or at least pay extra for the AMG CLK55/SLK55
>>
I know I should (and did) post in the VIN thread and that I am a tremendous nigger for posting it here too, but can anyone run this VIN within the next hour? I'm supposed to be looking at the car very shortly and would like to go in knowing if it's worth seriously considering. JF1GD75667G518534
>>
File: 01212_bFzZWvD1VZf_600x450.jpg (39KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
01212_bFzZWvD1VZf_600x450.jpg
39KB, 600x450px
!993 Alfa Romeo 164, 78k
With proper maintenance could I realistically drive one of these on a daily basis?
>Pic related
>>
>>16349465

Of course it can. Keep it maintained and do basic checks before a long journey and you're golden.

Lovely cars too.
>>
File: 1440803888110.jpg (114KB, 612x612px) Image search: [Google]
1440803888110.jpg
114KB, 612x612px
Not sure if I should make a thread or not, but I'll just post here for now: I've found a bunch of cheap used civics/corollas and I'd like to buy one of them, but first I'd have to testdrive them. There's just so many of them, and I don't know how to narrow my search even further.

Should I look at the KMs driven, any years to avoid? Thanks.
>>
>>16349809
You can ask the Honda general for the civics
>>
>>16350069
And overall, is a 1500$ car from the early 2000s worth test driving, or should it just be avoided?
>>
My brother's 93 Jeep cherokee stalls pretty badly, when he stops. Now, without looking at his car I cab guess there's a vacuum leak, or electrical issue.

He SWEARS it's a cold weather issue, but I know that can't be just it. His hud does say "coolant sensor bad."

What can I tell this retard to convince him that it isn't solely cold related, that he needs to actually check his car.
>>
>>16350166
Honestly I have no idea, that's why I pointed you to the Honda thread
>>
>>16350333
If he is convinced it's a broken temp sensor and is fine with not repairing it and keeping a car that stalls continuously, then that's his problem, not yours.

There is no need to convince him, he already decided he doesn't want to fix his car for whatever reason (maybe he is low on money and doesn't want to tell you) so save yourself the effort for when he finally decides it's time to fix it.
>>
Anyone got any favorite led Headlight conversion kits? Or are they a meme?
>>
>engine used to knock like crazy when I shifted into 3rd at 30kph
>Now it doesn't
Did I get better at using the accelerator or is my transmission fucked?
>>
>>16349667
I deliver pizzas for a job. I'd definitely keep the oil changed and whatnot, however im worried about parts or other maintenance issue I might run into having an Alfa.
Would these be considered reliable by any stroke?
>>
This happened to me a few years ago but I was wondering if anyone here could explain it
>Driving a 99 corolla (auto) down a snowy highway
>Hit a patch of black ice and spin out, have to get towed out of a ditch
>Car runs fine but shakes like a motherfucker
>Later the same night spin out again (this time because I was an oversteering retard)
>Call up the tow truck "Hey it's me again"
>Towed out again
>Car still runs fine but the shaking stopped and everything's normal
The only thing I can thing of is the first crash knocked some part out of line which the second crash fixed, but what was it?
>>
>>16350633
It's less of a "I need to help my brother" issue and more of a "I must be proven right" issue. Saying it's cold related is retarded, it's an electrical thing, I know it is.
>>
File: rx8.jpg (2MB, 2016x1144px) Image search: [Google]
rx8.jpg
2MB, 2016x1144px
What color would /o/ consider this car to be?

There always seems to be a disconnect between the color I say my car is and the color other people say.

>"Do you drive the X color RX-8?"
>"No, I drive the Y color one."
>have no idea they are actually talking about my car

I'm talking simple colors like black, blue, gray, and silver.
>>
>>16351022
Looks grey.
>>
>>16351037
Fuck. Other people tend to call it grey too.

I always see it as dark blue.

Guess it was me all along.
>>
>>16351022

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grau#Farbnamen

>Anthrazit, a dark and warm gray. Commonly used for clothes and vehicles, since it's not pure black and therefore associated with Anthrazid coal.

What a retarded explanation. Also when I click on "article in English" there's no reference to it whatsoever. Maybe it's a euro name. But yeah, it's definitely a shade of grey.
>>
>>16351082
To me, it looks just like "Paynesgrau" from the wikipedia page; which looks dark blue.

I shouldn't have asked. Now I know I can't see colors right.
>>
>>16351120
it's clearly black and gold faggot
>>
File: dress.png (106KB, 220x293px) Image search: [Google]
dress.png
106KB, 220x293px
>>16351120
>>16351082
>>16351066
>>16351037
>>16351022
did you people in a coma for most of 2016?
>>
>>16350333
I have a 93 jeep cherokee. no issues with a bad radiator temp sensor but I never had a good one just unplug the damn thing and it will run the same.

it sounds like a failing cps. my neighbor's jeep was doing the same thing and I had to explain to him how to get to it to get it out. he still has my fucking universal adapter too the cunt.
>>
File: w.png (271KB, 676x389px) Image search: [Google]
w.png
271KB, 676x389px
>>16351120

If it makes you feel any better, Paynesgray is 6/255th bluer than it is green.

Exactly the same for your car, 6/255th bluer than green and 13/255th bluer than red. So _technically_ you would be right, it's also definitely grayer than it is blue.

I'd need a shot in a white lit studio to properly science this.
>>
File: TxwrP7N.jpg (139KB, 1275x651px) Image search: [Google]
TxwrP7N.jpg
139KB, 1275x651px
>>16351120
>>16351180 (You)

then again compare the top middle one to the rest. that motherfucker is clearly blue. but then i also clearly found it by searching "dark grey". Someone needs to get to the bottom of this.
>>
>>16345465
starter possibly or bag ground. honestly go to a mustang forum where there is way better information and diagnostics
>>
File: confident.png (394KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
confident.png
394KB, 1280x720px
>>
>>16351212
https://www.google.com/search?q=the+dress&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

just fucking stop, k?
>>
File: Blue Mustang GT.jpg (125KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
Blue Mustang GT.jpg
125KB, 800x600px
Anyone have experience with the engines in the 05-06 mustangs? Reliable, fairly easy to work on?

Also is the gray worth the extra thousand?

Gray (9k, 83k miles)
tinyurl dot com slash GrayMustang83142

Blue (8k, 117k miles)
http://www.miragemotorsnc.com/2131_V20160908121847/Raleigh/2005-FORD-MUSTANG-GT-for-sale

>pic related, is the second option
>>
>>16351278

back2reddit with you mate this wasn't funny 2 hours after it was posted
>>
>>16350889
Knock or shake?
30kph seems awful low for 3rd.
>>
Should I get a 200k km car that I know is in good condition or a 150k km that is from the internet so will be hit or miss?
>>
>>16350997
Did you by chance get the wheels stuck in mud or beach the car?

odds are you picked up a clod of dirt on the wheels or drive train and slung it off in the second accident.
>>
>>16351342
I don't know if it's knocking per se, but it used to be that the whole car shook like a motherfucker, as if I was driving on a gravel road, when I did that, but it doesn't anymore.

Also the car is a tiny Japanese Kei car. Theres no tachometer but the engine gets pretty fucking loud at that speed in 2nd gear which is why I shift.
>>
>>16351503

the 200k one
>>
Alright so i have a transmission housing that has some thick gunk and was wandering what you guys use best to remove that shit
>>
>>16352338
foaming engine cleaner at any autoparts store and a hose
>>
Alright so I recently was given a 98' Camry that has been in a family friend's shop since 2014. I have to change the title to my name, get it inspected, and register it. In what order do I get this all done? Its a great car, it just needs to get re-aligned.
>>
i have the slave clutch line out of my parts car and pushed the clutch pedal in stupidly, and it sunk to the floor. Bad for it, or can I just flush/bleed it to fix, right??

I'm dropping the trans, and taking the pedals out because I need them for my main car. so there would have been a need to bleed
>>
>>16352775
>change title, IE get it signed over if they already have the title, or have shop put a mechanic's lien on the car and have them sign it over

>register it

>inspect it
>>
>>16352927
Cool, thanks. I actually already have the signed title. Guess i'll start there first.
>>
I recently purchased new car. My friend that is into cars told me that I should start it on at least 20 min before driving of and if I don't have time to wait 20 minutes, to wait 5 minutes while holding accelerator to let car Rev at 3 to 4k rpm. This isn't problem since I get up early, start the car, eat breakfast and then leave to work which Lea es car time to idle for 40 minutes. Problem is however when I need to go somewhere unplanned and I have to sit in car for 5, 10 minutes while holding g the pedal. Is there some way around this that wouldn't compromise engine lifetime like leaving as soon as car started would?
>>
>>16353442
I am assuming this is all about very cold ambient temperature, because there is absolutely no need to idle your car for 20 mins when there are 15+°C outside.

The best and fastest way to heat up an engine without destroying it is to start driving as soon as you can. You have to drive smoothly, try not to exceed half your available revs and be gentle with the throttle. Idling is good for the first few minutes maybe, but idling for extended periods of time like you do is just bad
>>
>>16353442
>to wait 5 minutes while holding accelerator to let car Rev at 3 to 4k rpm

your friend is a fucking moron don't ever take car advice from him ever again. even in the 70s this would be absolutely horrid advice.

anyway just start it give it a minute (literally) and drive like a normie for the first five or ten minutes.

if it won't run cold there is something wrong. there might be other "issues" if it's cold like my 93 cherokee with a hydrolic clutch needs to get shifted ~20 times before it's smooth, but I can sit and pump it without shifting in the driveway and it gets good enough to drive.

you really only need to warm up your engine if you're carburated (at least I remember my shit stalling when I was a teen if I didn't) or are riding an mc but in any case if you don't hoon your shit right out of the driveway you'll be fine, and you should never rev the shit out of it to warm it up... it's like the polar opposite of what you should do.

again, your friend is a fucking idiot. next time he gives you advice nod, smile and ignore him.
>>
>>16353850
Are you serious? Not trolling?

I thought when it comes to cars he was pro. He even told me to get alfa and went with me to pick it up.
>>
>>16353859
LET
ME
GOOGLE
THAT
FOR
YOU

https://www.google.com/search?q=should+you+idle+your+car&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

ffs bro
>>
>>16351319
Bump for this
>>
>>16333363
find out if they have receipts for the build and do research on who built it.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-12-20-19-13-57.png (162KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-12-20-19-13-57.png
162KB, 1280x720px
Never driven an automatic before.

What does the W and S mean? And what is the + and - ?
>>
>>16354707
+ and - is for shifting gears, you can pretend to be manual

Dunno about the W and E, asked my 68 year old Father and he has no idea so it must not be common
>>
>>16354707
W for wet, S for standard
>>
>>16354707
W = winter mode, not present on every automatic. Some other autos have a snowflake button or something similar, or nothing at all.
It changes the shifting patterns to something smoother, skips first gear entirely (even second gear sometimes) to make it easier to start moving on snow and things like that. Basically, It optimizes the gearbox to operate in low grip environments.

S = sport mode, also not present on every auto, but found much more than the W button.
It changes the shifting patterns to something more direct, raises the shifting point to so you use most of your engine's power band and things like that. It optimizes the gearbox for a sporty drive.

Depending on the level of wizardry installed on the car, those buttons may even modify certain suspension parameters like ride height and damping force and they may affect throttle response too.

The + and - buttons are to upshift and downshift respectively, used when the driver wants to take over the job of shifting and use the gearbox as if it was a manual.

Another common button found on autos, especially on SUVs is the downhill button (there is usually a small symbol of a car going downhill), it's used when going downhill for long stretches of road or when towing something downhill. It forces the gearbox to keep a lower gear and to work its internal clutches differently so you can use more engine braking and less actual braking in order to save your brakes from overheating and fading.

Some autos may have none of those buttons, some may have the 1, 2 and 3 selections on the lever to force the gearbox into using those gears only.
Also the O/D button is an old thing that forces the gearbox to never exceed a certain gear (usually 3rd or 4th) and still act normally, used mainly when going uphill or towing something heavy
>>
>>16354850

Cheers
>>
>>16354707
>>16354850
not that anon, but auto related question
does anyone drive a volvo? Sometimes when I start it in the morning, the winter mode (arrow pointing up) stays illuminated a little longer than the rest of the dash lights. most of the time the winter indicator (snowflake on trip computer) is lit as well. it doesn't flash, it just stays on a little longer than the other lights

is my car just telling me it's cold and I may want to use winter mode?
>>
>>16355611
>snowflake on trip computer

Are you sure you don't mean the snowflake right next to the thermometer/temperature gauge? That just lights up if the Temperature is under a certain value (2°C).
>>
If my car is say FWD and I get a flat on one of the front tires, should I replace it with one of the rear tires and use the spare on the rear tire?
>>
>>16355738
Ya, on mine its part of the trip computer
>6 options
>mpgs avg and current
>avg speed
>temp
>trip
>miles to empty
And then on the right the snowflake, comes on around 38 degrees F
I know about that, but what about the arrow? It doesn't stay on or flash
>>
>>16356919
Rotate both rears to the front, put spare/new on back with other front tire
>>
>>16356919
if you're just going to the tire store just put the spare on

if you have a full size spare just put it on

if you're going to drive around like a poor person for 3000 mi then >>16357043
>>
How the fuck do I go to a track with a car? I literally have no idea where to begin so I'm not even after a long drawn out explanation, pointing me to a link will work.
Looking for answers to questions like:
>Do I need special insurance?
>Does my car need any extra safety shit?
>Do I need safety gear like a helmet and/or firesuit?
>Is it prohibitively expensive?
>Is there any chance of getting on a semi deserted track or will there be a ton of other cars running at all times?
And whatever else you think is important...
I'm in East Texas if that matters.
>>
>>16357886
Google local clubs
Find your type of car
Ask them

My insurance has one exception: organized race means no coverage
But your insurance is not my insurance do you have to ask your insurance to be sure.
>>
>>16345694
Depends. Do you want to live in an apartment, eat ramen noodles, and look out to your dirty, rapidly depreciating beemer as it sits parked on the street, and go to bed fretting waking up with a door ding and calling the insurance adjusters and having to screw around with them back and forth and back and forth: all the while knowing you are literally pissing away about half your take home money continuously down this giant, gaping hole that is "depreciation"?

People do this - and there isn't anything wrong with it. You can go to a bar and go on a date, and for at least two - maybe even three dates you'll have girls impressed enough with you without saying anything that they might even picture you as a house-owning motherfucker: If your goal is getting a blowjob while driving or maybe even sex at her place, this IS a great way to go, but it might break down when the gold digging ho realizes that you literally are just the car - and nothing more than that.

Again - people do this and there is nothing wrong with it.

But then again, you can drop you know, a fifth - maybe even a tenth of that (i don't know how much you make) and be riding around in a 8 year old cadillac or something, which will do just about as well but might not be absolutely, actively murdering you every time your paycheck hits the bank.

From a logical: reasonable standpoint it is a TERRIBLE idea: but fun doesn't come from logical, reasonable ideas: and this is why /o/ is not the needlepointing board.

On to your other question: I think everything that is new sucks.
>>
>>16331983
underrated post
>>
>>16329364
How much dough am I realistically looking at to drop a diesel engine and a stick shift tranny into a 1987 buick station wagon?

I am thinking of a ford 7.3 idi by the way.
>>
File: 1365655526900.gif (1MB, 330x320px) Image search: [Google]
1365655526900.gif
1MB, 330x320px
>>16342647

I bestow upon thee a .gif that will change your life
>>
>>16357975
is this vtak kicking in?
>>
>>16357886
>How the fuck do I go to a track with a car?
Check the site of the tracks you are willing to drive to and see if they have track days scheduled. You might want to Google the tracks in your state, there may be some you didn't even know existed other than COTA

>Do I need special insurance?
I am not an expert on how it works in the states, but over here in yurop there are track days for road cars and they ask the data of your insurance before letting you in.
However, most insurance may not cover damage happened in a track. Most people I heard of that crashed into someone else at a track day had to get their cars towed or driven outside the track and fake a normal accident on some random road nearby so they could still get their insurances to pay the damage. The track doesn't care what you do unless there are injured people involved
Also you may be asked to pay for track damage if you cause any.

>Does my car need any extra safety shit?
Depends on the track's policy, some don't require anything at all, some require a basic helmet, you have to read the rules of a track day to be sure.

>Is it prohibitively expensive?
A track day is not expensive, here we are talking about a sub-100€ fee for at least 1 hour pretty much everywhere. Smaller tracks may be cheaper than bigger, famous ones and sometimes they may have promotions.
Renting a track for yourself when there are no track days costs tens of thousands of $$.

>Is there any chance of getting on a semi deserted track or will there be a ton of other cars running at all times?
Depends on the time of the year, the frequency of track days for that track, the price and a bunch of other stuff that may attract drivers. Generally, they schedule different sessions a day with a max number of cars in it to prevent overcrowding. How many cars are in the track depends on how big the track is. Get there early in the morning.

Literally just Google "Texas track days" and see what you find.
>>
>>16357035
Oh. I KNOW WHAT THAT SNOWFLAKE IS!

That's a 'hey, it's cold, watch for ice' nanny indicator.
>>
>>16358013
A variable valve lift of sorts, yes.
>>
What signs will an oil pump failure give, other than complete loss of oil pressure?
Will the oil pressure drop and never return, or would it come and go for a while before giving out?
>>
>>16351319
Bumping for this
>>
File: bubblebustedthread.jpg (147KB, 960x1280px) Image search: [Google]
bubblebustedthread.jpg
147KB, 960x1280px
I'm kind of lost from /g/ , maybe /o/ could guide me to download and install Mitchell OnDemand5 and alldata

btw, what is your demonym, like /g/entlemens or /b/tarts or fa/tv/irgins
>>
>>16360090
/o/tists
>>
>>16354707
>wank
>sex
>>
>>16358742
>What signs will an oil pump failure give, other than complete loss of oil pressure?

Low oil pressure. But that's also indicative of excessive clearance in the main/rod/cam bearings.

If oil pressure is "coming and going" it might just be a failing sending unit. Change that and if it still does the thing you should check the gauge if it has one. If it just has an idiot light it's time for a lower end job on that engine.
>>
File: 20161222_143117-1248x1664.jpg (409KB, 1248x1664px) Image search: [Google]
20161222_143117-1248x1664.jpg
409KB, 1248x1664px
What the fuck went wrong?

Tire shop put them on around 2 months ago.
>>
>>16360971
new thread m8
>>16358966
also mad overtightening or lack of lubrication causing the nuts to seize on.
>>
>>16360971
overtightened

I guess the wheel didn't came off since you have two... did it happen taking off the lug nuts or did you lose 3/5 driving? your other wheels they touched are probably equally fucked.
>>
File: IMG_20160318_162702802.jpg (3MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160318_162702802.jpg
3MB, 4160x2340px
>>16329364
We've had a 280zx sitting for about 10 years, but right before we put it away, we put new fluids in it, I checked it not too long ago and the fluids looked just about brand new, as seen in pic related
Asides from an oil and fuel change, would it be alright to use the fluids it already has just while we're working on getting it up and running again?
There's a few things that are dry, like the power steering fluid and coolant reservoirs, but like here, in the clutch master cylinder, it's pretty alright looking.
>>
>>16362188
new thread, this one's about to fall off
>>16358966
Thread posts: 317
Thread images: 49

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.