[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How come the "CVT's are unreliable XD" meme continues

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: image.jpg (238KB, 1024x683px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
238KB, 1024x683px
How come the "CVT's are unreliable XD" meme continues to exist when a lot busses use them and they run near 24/7 and have 1000lbs/ft+ of torque?
>>
>>16327734
don't busses use sequential with 10+ gears ? like freight trucks ?
>>
>>16327740
Most busses in the UK are a 4 speed I think, maybe have more gears but I've never been on one going fast enough to hear it go up to 5th if 5th exists.

I'm on a hybrid-diesel bus right this second that from the sound of it I'm pretty damn sure it's a CVT. It just drones constantly on accelaration.

t. busrider
>>
>>16327747
>It just drones constantly on accelaration.
That's diesels in general. They don't rev very high.
>>
>>16327786
I own a diesel and obviously have been on other busses. Going from 0-50mph with a constant engine note isn't normal.
>>
File: t225664_implyingbear.png (11KB, 402x320px) Image search: [Google]
t225664_implyingbear.png
11KB, 402x320px
>>16327734
There's a difference between a CVT and a 4/5-speed automatic, fucko.
>>
>>16327818
could be diesel-electric. Technology is there with hybrid trolleybusses that can run on electricity from overhead cables... and when there is no such infrastructure they power up their onboard diesel generators to get around - they are still using electric engines to turn wheels. I can imagine some busses could be even plug-in hybrids these days.. charge overnight and when juice runs out, kick in the diesel generator...
>>
>>16327842
>>16327747
the new tfl "hybrid" buses have traction motors, the diesel engine is just a generator to charge the batteries
>>
>>16327954
I have no experience with such buses, in here we have just trolleybuses with diesel range extenders... they don't have traction batteries, when bus wants to accelerate, diesel revs superhigh, when coasting it goes midrange revs, when stops, it idles calmly. Typical diesel-electric propulsion. Of course that is when there is no overhead power line available, then diesel is off.. but I haven't seen/heard them creep on battery power yet.
>>
>>16327954
I thought it might be something like that. It's really strange moving away from a stop without the engine making any noise.
>>
>>16327976
where would that be?
>>16327981
at first we had a few cases of people leaving the bus unmanned thinking the ignition was off but then the generator kicks in
>>
anyone who thinks a CVT is unreliable doesnt understand how a CVT even works on a mechanical level

which would you rather have:

a large skrew with a chainlike belt around it

OR

a hundred 5-10mm wide tunnels filled with small steel balls and transmission fluid that must be changed out every 50k miles along with a valve body and torque converter again filled with tons of tiny little tunnels that have steel balls and tranny fluid within

also on an older style transmission the viscosity of the fluid being off is enough to grenade the tranny
>>
>>16328044
>a large skrew with a chainlike belt around it
that cant take any significant torque or HP without snapping/stretching

OR

A reliable transmission that can go 50-100k+ with only fluid changes and 200-400k+ fairly easily.

CVT's are not build to last, Torque Converter 4speeds will outlast god
>>
>>16328044
Or solid steel machined teeth permanently meshing with other solid steel machined teeth.
>>
>>16328044
Say that to my C60 with over 175,000 on the TH350.

Or the TH350C in my '80 half ton at over 215,000 miles.

Or the TH400 in my '85 3/4 ton heavy duty with 313,000 miles (this ones FINALLY beginning to slip when cold)

How about the 700r4 that I pulled from an 80's pickup and put in my '66 biscayne, which is over 160,000 miles.

>no rebuilds
>some haven't seen a fluid or filter change
>>
>>16327740
My friend used to drive a garbage truck

Its more like 21 gears its literally FnF trans.
>>
>>16328055
I have some bad news anon
Torque converters have already outlasted god
>>
>>16328055
>Torque Converter 4speeds will outlast god
>>16329005
>Torque converters have already outlasted god

Lol, 200.000 miles is not outlasting God... Stop believing what you pay to hear in that shed of inbreeding you call church
>>
>>16327734
Buses don't use CVT, they use either a torque converter auto or a computerised manual like automagic trucks.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.