[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey there /o/. I was hoping you all could help me with a last

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

File: IMG_1418.jpg (74KB, 640x576px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1418.jpg
74KB, 640x576px
Hey there /o/. I was hoping you all could help me with a last minute Christmas present. I'm looking to get someone some fingerless mechanic's gloves kind of like pic related and I was wondering if anyone here had any recommendations. Thank you kindly.
>>
>>16324059
Those are cycling gloves, rather than mechanic's gloves.
The kind of gloves a mechanic would want would be capable of being submerged in oil without leaking, and super tough.
>>
>fingerless mechanic gloves
For a joke gift? People wear mechanic's gloves to keep their hands warm, to protect them from injury, and to keep their hands clean. Fingerless gloves barely do any of that.
>>
>>16324059
Get them (full finger) impact resistant gloves or welding gauntlets, fingerless gloves are almost useless for vehicle maintenance.
>>
>>16324059
as a mechanic, the palms of my hands are what I'm least worried about when wrenching on stuff. usually it's my fingertips getting crushed between shit in hard to reach places
>>
File: 1477364354295.gif (2MB, 280x202px) Image search: [Google]
1477364354295.gif
2MB, 280x202px
I wasn't aware anyone actually wrenched wearing fingerless gloves.

I mean, the whole point of the gloves is to protect your fingers more than anything, right?
>>
File: 781513100158.jpg (136KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
781513100158.jpg
136KB, 900x900px
>>16324059
Fingerless gloves are absolutely useless for mechanics, better buy something like pic related and a box or sturdy latex gloves so your buddy is covered in every situation.

Don't cheap out on the latex gloves, get him some thick ones, I personally prefer those without powder in them but everyone has a different opinion on powdered gloves.

Mechanicx is a God tier brand for general purpose gloves, but they aren't waterproof so you can't really use them when there are fluids involved, that's why you also buy him good latex gloves.
>>
>>16326384
impact resistant gloves are the best

i use a pair of cheap harbor freight gloves with thick rubber things on the back of the fingers and they have saved me SO many fucking busted knuckles it's not funny
>>
>>16327059
Cycling gloves have padding for gripping pole-shaped things, so they're good for gripping tools.
Although the mesh backs don't stop your tendons from being played like guitar strings if you catch your hand on something. Not many gloves do unless they're thick welding gloves or some shit.

I use rubberised nylon gloves at work, and they go pretty well. I buy them in big packs, wear them until one glove gets a hole, then throw both gloves out and open up a new pair.
They're fine until they get wet.
>>
>>16324059
>fingerless mechanic's gloves

You are picking gloves based on your own style or fashion preferences instead of how mechanics use gloves.

Fingerless gloves are a joke gift. TOTALLY BAD for mechanics.

WIth fingerless gloves, the oil, chemicals, solvents, and grit get inside the glove and thus are trapped against the skin along with heat and moisture for maximum pore absorption.
>>
File: Ansell Butyl Plus.jpg (451KB, 848x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Ansell Butyl Plus.jpg
451KB, 848x1200px
>>16324059
i like them. i use those because they give me dexterity and protect my knuckles. honestly, boxing tape would be just as good. i also use these gloves with cotton liners if i expect fluids.
>>
Get him some mechanic's sandals instead
>>
>>16324059

You'd be better off not wearing gloves. You'll be taking them off every 5 seconds to get the dirt and shit out of your palm after it works its way between your finger and its hole.
>>
>>16331111
this embrace the dirt

just smear grease all over your hands before you start that way you arnt thinking about being clean
>>
>>16324059
Get a box of disposable nitrile gloves and a 3 pack of "Firm Grip" brand work gloves from Home Depot $10. You'll spend about 20 bucks total and your buddy will be covered for 90% of car wrenching chores.
>>
>>16324059
mechanics wrenchworx
>>
>>16327912
How long do the rubberized nylon last typically?

I'm a nitrile glove guy, buy them by the gross at Costco and they're great for light wrenching but in older vehicles (93xj) you brush anything in the engine bay and they just pop like a balloon...
>>
>>16331881
Usually a few weeks, depending on what happens to them. They're not waterproof at all and stay damp for ages, but they're good at protecting the skin on my hands from abrasion, and keeping the diesel/brake dust off.
Thin enough to let me use my phone, when I have it set to be used through gloves.

I'm not a mechanic, though. I work in a warehouse and just need something to protect my hands and stop them getting filthy by the end of the day.
If you don't work with wet stuff, I highly recommend them. If you do, I don't.
They definitely beat having my hands calloused into claws and being constantly sick from ingested hydrocarbons.
Maybe wear them over the nitrile gloves as protection.

Also, if you're around exhaust fumes all day, take mutlivitamins to counteract the effect it has on you.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.