[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

My girlfriend moved to Denver and wants an AWD vehicle to play

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: WJ.jpg (40KB, 400x233px) Image search: [Google]
WJ.jpg
40KB, 400x233px
My girlfriend moved to Denver and wants an AWD vehicle to play in the mountains with(I will be following shortly). Not rock-crawling, but something able to access off-road trails. She doesn't make much money, so short-term and long-term budget is small. Probably $10,000 range, on a loan. She currently has a 2011 Mazda 3 with 120k miles that's in OK condition.

I know my cars but I know nothing of AWD/off-roaders. She's in love with jeeps for some reason, so she probably could get a grand cherokee WJ or WK.

I know there has to be a better option than this. Wat do?
>>
>>16315192

Oh and I know there's a sticky, but its been there for years and things had to have changed by now.
>>
>>16315192
Get an xj
>>
>>16315213

why? Those are so old at this point that reliability will be an issue. Am I wrong?
>>
>>16315229
If you can find one that isn't abused, it'll be fine.
>>
>>16315235

hmmm... maybe keep the mazda and get a cheap XJ.

what would you recommend for model year, trim level, engine, etc
>>
Subaru can't be beat in the winter time in my opinion. Look at the Forester or Forester XT if she wants a little more get up and go. The newer ones with the CVT are kinda shitty, and older gens in stick are unicorns (Here in Ontario, Canada anyways.). Best thing is that they hold their value like no other. Impreza hatchback/wagon is a great choice too.
>>
>>16315261

that's what i tried to tell her, but she claims to hate subarus. So that's a tough sell.

I think mainly she wants more lift, and more space to bring her pitbull with her.
>>
>>16315229
Not him, but 97-2001 models are still around in large numbers in good condition. Pre-'97 should be avoided as 'enthusiast-only'. Yes, it's old at this point. But the revamp models are the youngest of the bunch by a bit and not all that old yet.

Yes, there's a list of stuff to check, and a list of stuff to do. Rust being the primary. The second being installing a headlight relay harness. Okay, I don't actually know about that on the Chrysler models, but on the older Renix XJs the wiring was shite thin and routed through the dashboard and posed a fire hazard. A rather real one. At any rate, they're perfectly fine, dead-ass simple, parts are cheap.

The upside of all of this is that XJs are still $1-4k all damn day, and $4k is gonna get you something in pristine condition with a few, usually good, modifications and good tires. Also probably a small, smart lift. The axles on the '97-01 are also decent, the Chrysler 8.8 being a MUCH needed improvement over the old Dana 35 rear end that would likely give out when offroading.

I don't like WJs that much. The ZJ styling was better in my opinion, but there's too much electrical stuff to go wrong in a WJ and too much of a tendency for it to do so. In an XJ it's at least easy to get to.

t. MJ owner.
>>
>>16315287
Change the front badge with an audi logo or something
>>
>>16315261
I've got a CrossTrek. They're a little on the small side, but for a girl looking for something decent off road, I would recommend it. Only problem is I don't know if you'd find one for 10K yet, it's not a very old model
>>
>>16315192
get the fuck out of my state you carpet bagging pieces of shit REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
File: 2013-04-25 12.57.02.jpg (908KB, 2560x1920px) Image search: [Google]
2013-04-25 12.57.02.jpg
908KB, 2560x1920px
I liked my WJ. The electrical issues do happen, for me it was window regulators. I replaced all 4 within the 30k miles I drove it. It ran and drove well and I was a teenager and I beat the hell out of it but it took all of it except that one part where I was pissed off and drifted it into a ditch and rolled it over. It protected me well though. 9/10 would buy again
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.