[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>tfw engine never reaches operating temperature when the ambient

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: 1442107117437.png (1MB, 1632x1224px) Image search: [Google]
1442107117437.png
1MB, 1632x1224px
>tfw engine never reaches operating temperature when the ambient temperature is less than 10 degrees.

How bad is this?
>>
>>16295733
10 degrees what?

also get a block heater.
>>
>>16295735

Fahrenheit
>>
>>16295743
that's p cold m8. do you have a garage? are you letting it idle? It won't kill the car, but it kills gas mileage as the mixture has to run super rich
>>
>>16295744

Yes have an attached garage, but it's always below freezing in there. I let it warm up for 5-10 minutes before driving off. I have short commutes to the places I need to go. Should I be taking the long ways?
>>
>>16295750
nah, it won't really math itself out. consider getting a block heater installed and plugging it in overnight.
>>
>>16295758

Ill look into it.

thanks!
>>
after 5-10 minutes it should be completely warmed up.
It's 7°F outside right now and it was warm by the time I made it to the gym earlier this evening and that's only a 3 minute drive for me
>>
>>16295733
You might want to check your thermostat. My dad had the same problem in his protege. It wasn't reaching operating temps on 20 minute drives because the thermostat was stuck open and made the fans run even if it wasn't warm yet.
>>
>>16295733
This is a common issue in modern cars, specially in modern diesels. Buy/make a grill mask and a block heater.

pic.grill mask type, common in Finland
>>
>>16295828
This

Even the Fords at my job with their small and efficient diesels reach their operational temperature down in -22F
>>
it doesn't do any harm if you're just driving casually and can handle not having your heater.

engines really don't heat up as much as old pigiron engines used to. It's a property of aluminum everything.

>>16295968
this works.
>>
http://www.ddzmarine.co.uk/wp-content/themes/DDZ%20Marine/images/airtronicanim.gif Get something like this. you can programm it with a remote control to wich time you want your engine and interior warm so when you drive its imidiatly at operating temperature. Also it helps warming the engine when the engine is getting to cold. I got it on my 10 year old 250k kilometer mazda 5 and i feel it´s worth it since the friction is alot less in winter and its saver to drive in a warm car in the morning. consider buying something like that if you want to keep your car for a long time. It´s called a Standheizung in German.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_YUKJa0Dic Also it helps warming your engine while driving.
>>
>>16295968
this, don't be an german overengineered pussy.
Do what we do here in north europe: slap some cardboard on the grill
>>
>>16297421
Its bether for the engine to start warm, and you use less fuel in the begining when the engine is already warm. but yeah if you want to just warm your car while driving carboard seems to be enough of a sollution.
>>
I drive a Genesis coupe in Alaska, a car not even remotely meant for this environment, every day even at -40 and it can reach op temp idling outside and doesn't drop while driving on the freeway. I would recommend doing a pan heater and block heater or a circulating coolant heater than heats and circulates your coolant. Also a battery blanket and/or trickle charger couldn't hurt.
>>
>>16297563
I'll say in order of effectiveness, I've noticed that coolant heater > pan heater > block heater.
>t. minnesotan, land of 10,000 assblasted frozen craters
>>
>>16295828
I had this same problem, its worth checking out

Would have saved me a couple cold winters, I just thought my engine was too small to generate enough heat lel
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.