[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are snow tires a meme or not? I currently have all-seasons but

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 90
Thread images: 18

File: winter tire meme.jpg (671KB, 1919x1200px) Image search: [Google]
winter tire meme.jpg
671KB, 1919x1200px
Are snow tires a meme or not? I currently have all-seasons but I feel like I could be doing better. I've never actually driven a car with them.

When the snow hits, the max I can go is about 25mph. Takes forever t o get momentum going from a stop.

Will they allow me to go faster? Which ones do I buy? I'm ready to make the purchase, I just need pushed over the edge and need to know which snow tires are good.
>>
>>16289736
snow tires are total bulshit, just stick to summer sports, you'll be fine
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZuUeLazypk
>>
>>16289872
>that cop car

KEK
>>
>>16289736
Snow tires are definitely total bullshit man.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STaximkaQxo
>>
>>16289887
But those are winter tyres vs summer tyres

I bet winter tyres vs all season tyres is a different story
>>
File: muhranger.png (709KB, 555x591px) Image search: [Google]
muhranger.png
709KB, 555x591px
>>16289736
im on 33" mud tires and im plowing through the snow like its my bitch. pic related.
>>
>>16289736
Every tire is a meme
>Michelin
>>
File: done.png (177KB, 367x321px) Image search: [Google]
done.png
177KB, 367x321px
BUT WHICH WINTER TIRES ARE GOOD

AND DONT GIVE ME THAT FUCKING BLIZZAK MEME I KNOW THOSE DONT LAST MORE THAN A SEASON
>>
South of I70 you can get along OK with all-seasons. North of I80 you should get them if you can afford them. In between it's up to you.
>>
>>16289915
google it faggot.
>>
>>16289915
Nokian Hakkapeliittas are by far the best snow tires I've had. I was cruising down roads in my FWD Volvo that my friends couldn't get more than 10ft down in their 4WDs.
>>
>>16289949
Can't buy those damn things anywhere in the US sadly or else those would be the ones I'd go with
>>
>>16289959
Where you at? I know a couple suppliers across the US.
>>
>>16289872
they'd have to be studded snow tires to help in that situation, that's ice underneath the snow for sure
>>
File: pete.jpg (100KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
pete.jpg
100KB, 900x900px
best winter tires for 2015 according to consumer reports

http://www.moderntiredealer.com/blogpost/b-o-b/410360/nokian-crashes-the-party-in-the-consumer-reports-winter-tire-test

1. Michelin X-Ice Xi3, $117.
2. Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2, $135.
3. Bridgestone Blizzak WS80, $112.
4. Cooper Weather-Master WSC, $92.
5. Toyo Observe G3-Ice, $173.
6. Continental WinterContact SI, $135.
7. General Altimax Arctic, $90.
8. Dunlop Winter Maxx, $103.
9. Nokian WR G3, $169.

Michelin X-ice and the nokians actually scored the same but michelins are cheaper
>>
>>16290017
I like how a Nokian All-Season placed on the list.
>>
>>16290045
Hilarious innit

They tested 21 winter tires and their all season blew out a bunch of shit-tier winters. Those finns are alright
>>
>>16290017
Are people better off getting all seasonal instead of switching their tires back and forth ??
>>
>>16289900
All seasons are not winter tires, at all. They're just glorified summers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2wTg0l3_wI
>>
>>16290056
If you live south of I-80, all season is fine
see >>16289919
>>
>>16290017

The problem with these lists is that they don't separate it by area. The michelins are good in some places, but absolute shit in others. Snow tires aren't all created equally and some work better on ice then snow and vice versa.
>>
>>16290073
Well to be fair they do break it down in detail if you subscribe to CR
>>
>>16290056
It's up to you really. I prefer having a winter set for both my cars. The fun AWD car gets a set of high performance tires, and a set of winters for when it's really bad. The FWD daily get's a set of all season that I don't mind getting caught in the first snow with, and a set of winters for everything after that. They way I see it, it's just an added bit of insurance.
>>
Depending on where you live, it can be a night and day difference.
>>
>>16289900
winter/snow tires are designed to be superior in snow.

All-seasons are designed to suck equally in all conditions.

All-seasons are the spork of tires. They can do a number of different jobs, but aren't really good at any of them.
>>
>>16289736
>Are snow tires a meme or not?
They're not a meme
>>
File: Laughing.gif (2MB, 230x175px) Image search: [Google]
Laughing.gif
2MB, 230x175px
>Snow tires
>Anything but a scam
>Even living where it snows
>>
>>16289736
in 2016 everything is a meme OP
>>16290171
/thread
>>
>>16289959

I don't know what you're talking about, you can get them on fucking Ebay if you really had to.

Other than that, you can order from Discount Tire. Lots of smaller shops will be willing to put in orders and have them shipped in from a Nokian warehouse/manufacturer as well.
>>
>>16289872
This is why I live in Florida fuck snow
>>
>>16290485
Fuck florida and fuck you. i lived there for 15 years and the hot humid weather all year round sucks dick so go kill yourself you fucking cuck.
>>
File: 1455605027254.jpg (17KB, 310x337px) Image search: [Google]
1455605027254.jpg
17KB, 310x337px
>>16289915

blizzaks are the best for ice until they run out of magic compound and turn into a shitty all season

altimaxes and winterforces last forever and have super duper snow and mud grip but are all but useless on ice

x-ices and nokians are a rolling expensive compromise but they're good overall

generally speaking altimax arctics are fine and sometimes cheap af ($30-50 a tire in 15" on sale at tirerack) so wait for a sale
>>
>>16289736
Goodyear Wrangler All terrains are excellent all year round if your car can fit them
>>
>>16289736
Depends on where you live. I live in Seattle so winter tires are mostly useless here. With AWD and extreme awareness of your surrounding (Avoiding steep hills, keeping a lot of distance from other drivers, slowing down gently) you can do just fine. My driveway is about 30 degrees and with forethought, I can get up it just fine with good throttle control and momentum.
>>
>>16289872
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZuUeLazypk
Cancerous fucking video. here's a less cancerous one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfwBbZVWQI0
>>
>>16289736
I've driven for extended periods with All Season and Winter Tires.

Winter tires are really really good for driving in snow. If you drive consistently in snow and don't want to worry about shit, get snow tires. They won't make you invincible of course, but you usually have to try to fuck up with them.

All seasons are typically fine if the tread pattern is proper. Not all A/S tires are made the same, so beware. They will do just fine in a few inches of snow, heavy shit they'll start to have issues.

Stay the fuck away from summer tires in the winter. Not only are they unfit for snow driving, but cold weather makes them ride like shit.

Throwing a few sandbags in the trunk, regardless of drivetrain, helps keep the backend from coming around if you need to make any kind of sudden movements.

Studs aren't necessary unless you live in an area where the roads aren't plowed much or your commute has a lot of stop and go. Studs help in ice, sure, but aren't really worthwhile otherwise, and even in ice, they only increase your grip threshold by a small margin, assuming you're going straight, studs won't do all that much in cornering.

As far as brand, I've used Blizzaks, but they wear faster than most. I've used Firestone Winterforce tires with studs for a year and my friend I sold the wheels/tires too used them for 3 more years and he finally now needs to replace them. A friend of mine uses nothing bug BFG G-force A/S tires and he says they're amazing, even in heavy snow.
>>
How do we keep having these threads?
>>
>>16291973
You must be new to /o/. There will be multiple of these threads until April. Happens every year.
>>
>>16291973

People want a reason to spend the $1000 for a second set of rims and winter tires. I've done it, but I hate having leftover rims when I trade the car.

I've settled on leaving 4-season Nokians on my beater Subaru for winter duty, and keeping my summer toy in our 3rd bay. Not everyone has this option, so we get these threads.

It's like the "FWD vs AWD" threads. In most places you don't need AWD, but people buy them anyway. If you need AWD you will know it - your town will have a billion Subarus. Likewise with winter tires.
>>
>>16291973
tis the season
>>
File: 1480378766663.png (222KB, 449x401px) Image search: [Google]
1480378766663.png
222KB, 449x401px
>all season
More like NO SEASON, amiright?
>>
>>16292209

Meh. All seasons are that medium sized santoku knife in your kitchen drawer. It doesn't do anything right, but it's serviceable for everything so long as you're careful and take your time.

Sometimes you need a proper paring, break, or butcher knife. But most of the time the medium general purpose knife is good enough.
>>
>>16289736
Always used M+S tires designed for heavy snow and never had a problem.
The fact that I don't go over 80 mph when the roads are covered in snow/ice is helping.
>>
>>16291980

>mightyBenz
>new to /o/
>>
>>16292239
M+S don't work well on ice - the rubber is too hard and they lack sipes. "Winter tires" are better for ice.

For most drivers, ice is more important than deep snow. Get stuck in deep snow and you have to get a shovel out. Lose control on ice and you risk getting in an accident.
>>
>>16292138
You don't want to spend $1000 on a second set of rims and tires, but you've spent over $1000 buying and maintaining a winter-beater? Sell the beater and spend the money on rims and winter tires for your fun car - you'll get to enjoy it more!
>>
File: 2SclOFp.jpg (27KB, 720x701px) Image search: [Google]
2SclOFp.jpg
27KB, 720x701px
>>16292138
>not getting a set of once driven wheels and tires for under 300€ or less than half what they're new
>actually falling for buying brand new
kek, no wonder you faggots suffer financially
>>
>>16292138
>It's like the "FWD vs AWD" threads. In most places you don't need AWD, but people buy them anyway.
>If you need AWD you will know it - your town will have a billion Subarus. Likewise with winter tires.
This so much. I live in Massachusetts and it's like 70% subies and crossovers
>>
How's winter driving with RWD V8 cars?
>>
>>16291980
Sorry, its my first week

>>16292239
What kind of M+S tires? You can get an M+S on damned nearly anything from Geolandar G95s to 44" Super Swampers

>>16292507
Just fine as long as you know how to balance the throttle

Problem is that they tend to sit quite low
>>
>>16292507
Fun
>>
>>16290570
my man
>>
>>16290570
Winterforces and Altimaxes are studdable. Are they still good without the studs?
>>
>>16292507
It's fine, all you've gotta do is not stab the throttle like a retard, buy good tires, and make sure you've got decent front to rear weight balance.
>>
>>16292958
>huge snow storm hit yesterday
>saw some faggot in his mustang
>mfw watching him spin his tires and get stuck in a foot of snow

guy was most likely a poorfag with bald tires kek
>>
>>16292691
I just got a set of Goodrich G-Force Winter 215/55/R17.
I got them brand new for $250 and around here they usually go for around $400 so I can't really complain.
>>
For those of your contemplating winter or ice tires, be aware that they don't grip as well on dry or even wet pavement as summers do at higher temperature. That's the tradeoff. They're easier to break loose. The better they are in snow and ice, the more they drive like grandma tires in nicer weather.

Just in case you didn't know.
>>
>>16292691
>>16292296
Sorry, let me add you to my catalog of /o/ tripfags that I keep handy to make sure I know who everyone is.

Fucking, this is why tripfags are the worst, they want everyone to fucking notice how long theyve been here for. Fuck off.
>>
>>16289736
holy fuck. something that existed before the internet is not a meme.

>but but muh definition of meme doesn't include the internet

reddit needs to go back to their shit hole
>>
File: 20161111_145108_resized.jpg (270KB, 598x1063px) Image search: [Google]
20161111_145108_resized.jpg
270KB, 598x1063px
>>16290570
Blizzaks finished juuuuuust ahead of the legendary Hakkapeliitta R2 in the last test on ice, but was beaten by ContiVikingContact 6 and Micelin X-Ice 3. Last year they were way behind on ice, but better in snow so there has been a little bit of a trade-off.

I think Nokian will release a new studless tire next year, or atleast seriously rework the R2 as its starting to fall behind its premium competitors.

>>16292950
It often depends on wether the tire is designed primarily as a studless tire but made with holes for plugging, or if its originally designed as a studded tire but offered without plugs inserted so that it can be sold and used anywhere.

On a general basis; studless design means that it'll do good on snow and acceptable on ice, and will have a slighty increase in traction from adding studs. Studded design; ok-ish snow traction, terrible ice performance without studs and good ice performance with.

This is a very general view tho, and might not be correct for all tires.

>>16293207
Those seem to finish at the lower end of the spectrum at pretty much all tests I can find. Just looking at them has me thinking of your typical chinkshit winter tires that are just summer-patterned tires with slightly softer rubber (not always the case) and some primitive straight siping

>>16293442
I never made any claim to have been here for any amount of time, nor did I make any particular attempt at getting noticed. You were the one who figured I had to be new to this board
>>
>>16293453
For the first post I am talking about the newest Blizzak; the WS80

Here is the ice performance chart. This is from 50kph/30mph to 0, measured in meters

Studded tires are in bold font, studless in normal font and the cursive/slant font is a "european-friction winter tire" from Continental, which I'll take a guess at being the WinterContact TS850

Full list of tires in the test, sorted from best to worst in their respective categories. Note; for studded tires the Continental and Nokian were tied.

STUDDED
Continental IceContact 2
Nokian Hakkapeliitta 8
Bridgestone Noranza 001
Pirelli Ice Zero
Hankook Winter I*Pike RS+
Goodyear Ultragrip Ice Arctic
Gislaved Nord Frost 200
Michelin X-Ice North 3
Toyo Observe G3-Ice
Kumho WinterCraft Ice Wi31

STUDLESS
Continental ContiVikingContact 6
Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2
Goodyear Ultra Grip Ice 2
Michelin X-Ice XI 3
Bridgestone Blizzak WS80
Sava Eskimo Ice
Hankook Winter i*cept IZ2
Pirelli Ice Zero FR
Landsail Winter Lander
Yokohama Ice Guard ig50 Plus
Nankang Ice Activa Ice-1
>>
Here is the "same" test, but this time its on hard-packed snow and its from 80kph/50mph to 0.
As you can see the differences here between the tires and between studded/studless are much smaller, showing that snow performance is much more easier to get right
>>
>>16293479
CONTI
O
N
T
I

Also daily reminder that >>16290570
>blizzaks are the best for ice until they run out of magic compound and turn into a shitty all season
is true.
http://www.tirerack.com/winter/tech/techpage.jsp?techid=116
>The Blizzak WS-tires' Multicell tread compound comprises the top 55 percent of the tires' tread depth with a standard winter tread compound comprising the remaining 45 percent. When Blizzaks are approximately 50 percent worn, their "snow platform" tread depth indicators "connect" selected shoulder tread blocks to indicate that the Multicell tread compound is almost worn out, and that the enhanced snow and ice performance is about to end.
>We have personal experience on a wide range of vehicles from sports cars to SUVs. Our experience, and that of our customers, indicates that Blizzak winter / snow tires will typically provide 12,000 to 15,000 miles of winter service before wearing out their Multicell tread compound. Therefore, Blizzaks are providing an estimated three to four winter seasons of wear from their Multicell tread compound for the driver who drives an average total of 15,000 miles per year (with 3,000 to 4,000 winter miles per year).
>Blizzak winter / snow tires are not recommended to be reinstalled when their tread depth has worn down to the "snow platform" tread depth indicators before the start of the winter season.

They literally designed a tire just as disposable as a modern vehicle.
>>
File: 33435.jpg (29KB, 145x915px) Image search: [Google]
33435.jpg
29KB, 145x915px
>>16293514
And here is the fuckery; last years tire test, and look at where the Blizzaks placed then.

I'm worried about the changes they've made to have it place so high up in this years. Either they've corrected a big fault, or they've gone for some changes that'll mean super performance but incredible wear
>>
>>16292977
where you at anon? i think i saw something similar
>>
>TFW southern ontario bans studded winter tires
>>
>>16289915
I've had WS70s on my e46 M3; I'm just now wearing out the rears, on my 4th season with them.

Yes, I rip skids. Yes, I drive like a total douche in inclement weather. I work the shit out of those tires, and they've been pretty fucking great.
>>
File: 1481229385572.jpg (20KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
1481229385572.jpg
20KB, 300x300px
What's a good place to buy tires from? Preferably somewhere that has free shipping or at least low cost shipping.

There's so many fucking tire websites, is there one that lists them all? Like PC Part Picker for tires?
>>
>>16293712
It was near a McDonald's and a certain gas station
>>
>>16293566
>cooper head brand nowhere to be found

JUST
>>
>>16295665
Cooper does not make any nordic winter tires, nor are any of their winter tires for normal passenger cars generally offered here.

The only Cooper winter tires I generally see are the M+S, pretty much always studded. The only reason it sells is that its cheapish and comes in pickup/SUV-sizes, and has a good load rating. Performance is very mediocre at best
>>
>>16290171
>not getting to rip donuts without worrying about burning your tires into oblivion
>not getting to go skiing

poor soul
>>
Winterhawk masterrace
>>
>>16295962
muh nordics
>>
>>16292691
Kys
>>
File: muhv6.png (118KB, 315x233px) Image search: [Google]
muhv6.png
118KB, 315x233px
>>16290171
>tripfags
>>
>>16296021
>not dying on the first snowfall or appearance of black ice
>>
>>16295962
>nordic winter tires

Speaking of memes
>>
snow tires for hard pac/ actual snow. studs for ice. drive a 86 e30 year round in tahoe with un stud snow tire.
>>
>>16299889
rep general alti cheap tires btw.
>>
>>16299889
My problem with studs is that the roads in the winter are clear about 70% of the time so you'd just be driving on wet asphalt with them

My main problems are slush and packed snow, ice is mostly a meme with all the road salt they put down
>>
>>16289736
Yes OP tires designed specifically to give you better traction on snow and ice are a meme.. Fuck.
>>
>>16299106
>>16299885
You'd be surprised at the difference in performance
>>
>>
>>16292318
I have OEM wheels with winter tyres that once had studs on them for winter. They are good, I can smoke RWD cars in the snow and get barely any slip.
They're also good on tarmac, taken them to the track and there's plenty of grip for any corner you face in DD.
>>
>>16293566
I*Pike RS master race reporting
>>
>>16289915

Blizzaks not lasting more then a season is a meme itself. Its like millhouse.
>>
>>16303056
The Transit Couriers at my work was equipped with them, and I found them satisfying tires; especially when I learned of their price

>>16303422
But Millhouse is not a meme!
>>
All season + 4x4 4HI mustard race reporting in
>>
>>16293453
>bfgoodrich
>chinkshit

Not the same guy but you do realize thatBfgoodrich was an american manufaturer that got bought by michelin in the '90?
They are not the best, but compared to other tires in that price range are pretty good.
You clearly never drove on chink winter tires.
Thread posts: 90
Thread images: 18

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.