[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

New to driving manual. Still getting the hang of hitting first

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 6

File: IMG_0918.png (106KB, 650x311px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0918.png
106KB, 650x311px
New to driving manual. Still getting the hang of hitting first gear quickly from a stop and riding the clutch in very slow situations.
Other than that, is it bad to take turns with the clutch depressed if you've got the speed for it and then to add gas if you need to or should the goal be to maintain gas throughout the whole turn (with or without any riding the clutch at all) ?
Yes I'm an idiot.
>>
>>16277203
you should be in gear when turning. or going from 1-2 during the turn but not lingering with the clutch depressed.
>>
File: IMG_0906.png (55KB, 565x376px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0906.png
55KB, 565x376px
>>16277209
Thanks! I'll start doing that.
Is it better to shift into neutral and coast to a stop light at a stop (red light) or should I stay in gear until the last second and then shift to neutral and stop. I suppose the latter in case for some reason I still need to goose it if something comes up? I know these are dumb questions but I've got no one to ask and if I can learn best practices from you guys...I can build habits now I suppose.
>>
>>16277203
Be in gear while entering the turn, otherwise your tires wont have traction and you could spin out. Go in without throttle, middle of the turn apply a bit of gas, then step on it while exiting.
>>
>>16277250
In gear also meaning clutch not depressed I assume ? I'm of course in gear when I turn but...not really if I have the clutch all the way depressed then even if the shift stick shows 1. May have answered my own question there.
>>
>>16277247
Coasting in gear is actually more fuel efficient than coasting in neutral, it also helps you engine break into a stop. And as you said, you can still avoid a hot situation. Just dont coast while having the clutch pressed in only, as it causes quite a bit of wear on it.

Also regarding starting from first gear, i like to blip the throttle and rev up a bit so it goes to 2-2.5k rpm and then slowly release the clutch, never stalled the car again since I started doing that.
>>
>>16277247
Just roll up to the light in gear and braking and when you drop to bog RPM (you'll feel it) shift to neutral and full stop. If you're in a higher gear, downshift one or two gears and then pop to neutral.
>>
>>16277250
That first sentence. u wot, m8?
>>
>>16277278
>Just dont coast while having the clutch pressed in only, as it causes quite a bit of wear on it.
elaborate
>>
I'm new to driving manual as well and my only issues are biting 1 to 2 smoothly and taking off on a hill.

I did a hill start in public on a steep incline and I nearly had a panic attack (this hill is very steep and you roll back fast) so I didn't fuck about trying to get a good start and just slammed the gas and dumped the clutch like I was in a drag. It was also raining so the ground was wet. I spun the tires hard embarrassingly and it looked like a fucking mess, but I stayed in my lane and got going without any other danger.
>>
>>16277203
>>16277247
The legalities are that it is not legal to coast out of gear, nor is it legal to sit at a light or stop sign in Neutral because you are not in control of the vehicle.

Of course you're also expected to sit at stops with both hands on the wheel in order to be considered to be in complete control of the vehicle.
>>
>>16277382
He's being unclear; when you hold the clutch in fully it's not a big deal (might fuck throwout bearings if done excessively) but there's no situation where you should be doing this for more than a few seconds such as about to take off from a traffic light or shifting. Slipping is when you have it partially engaged; except when you start from a stop NEVER EVER EVER do this as it'll burn the shit out of the clutch, and yes, resting your foot on the clutch while driving will burn the fuck out of it.
>>
>>16277387
Fuck i need to practice that too. You do the handbreak method ? Granted I'm in Houston so there shouldn't be any damn hills...but it'll come about eventually.

>>16277388
Do you guys always engage the handbreak at stops ?
>>
>>16277387
>1 to 2 smoothly
Raise RPM a little and clutch in a little more slowly than you usually would, works perfectly for me

>hill start
Did you use your e-brake? Hold the car in place with it, raise RPMs and slowly release the clutch. You will feel the car wanting to go forward, which is when you release the e-brake.
>>
>>16277398
Nobody who isn't learning touches the handbrake except for parking.
>>16277388
>The legalities are that it is not legal to coast out of gear, nor is it legal to sit at a light or stop sign in Neutral because you are not in control of the vehicle.
Nobody really cares, either. If you have your foot on the brake while stopped, even in neutral you're fine.
>>
>>16277203
My suggestion to you is to ride with another person who knows how to drive a manual so they can give you tips. Or at least another person so you can monitor how they react to your shifts.

Hardest part about driving manual is the first few months, if you make mistakes and no one tells you about them, you wont learn, and drive rough.

If you have a person sitting next to you, and you shift, and you see them luge forward, or backward, you know you are doing something wrong.
>>
>>16277398
>>16277410
I've been avoiding using the hand brake as I don't want that to become a habit. I want to learn how to only use the e-brake unless absolutely necessary. I can easily do hill starts with the e-brake but in that situation i said to myself "FUCK this I have to learn somehow or another."

Also the clutch interior car according to the person I got it from takes some warming up as it's a bit touchy and not as smooth as other clutches.
>>
>>16277441
>not using the e brake

Autistic boyracer fug off
>>
You don't have a driving license so I'll tell you.
(If you have turn it in until you know how to drive).

Slams gear into place = tear the syncro into oblivion, joints and axles gets sudden torque which leads to cracked drivetrain

Miss gear = over revving the poor engine
Full throttle that consumes 10x more fuel, and then cruise in neutral which lowers his speed so he has to engage the gear in the end anyway.

Holding hand on gear stick while in gear = wearing down the gearbox if he puts any force in any direction since the gear stick would force syncros to grind for no reason.

Dragging the gear stick left and right like a retard for no reason.

TL;DR Neutral is the position that is used when going from one gear to another, NOT to be used as a cruising gear.
While at a stop you can engage neutral and engage E-brake/handbrake since that doesn't wear down the clutch, and it doesn't blind the people behind you with those rear lights.

TL;DR 2: If you drive an automatic and can't handle a manual, you're not fully educated and thus is a danger to others.

TL; Should read: If you're american, you're not educated enough to even drive a car.
>>
>>16277441
Especially in some shitboxes you simply wont be able to start at a steep incline without the e-break because you will either give it too much gas and look like a retard or roll back too much
>>
>>16277203

Just disregard everything you read about shifting etiquette on /o/ and forge your own path. The truth is there are different ways to drive manual and a lot of it comes down to personal preference. Some people blip the throttle when they are downshifting, some people don't. Some people feather while applying throttle and some people feather without the throttle and some people feather without the throttle and just let the idle move them.

Being smooth isn't hard. The clutch and throttle should have an inverse relationship in your head. One goes in, the other comes out. The rest is preference. General rule of thumb for maximum traction during turning is slight throttle/slight acceleration. You can pull in the clutch if you want, it wont matter for the type of driving you do
>>
What do if entering shopping center with small slope entering in second gear? I hear I should NEVER drop to 1st even if at a speed of 2-3mph.
>>
>>16277456
No I just want to learn every way possible in how to manage and control the car.

I'd be lying to you if I said I didn't have the urge to go fast now. Driving a manual is the best choice I've ever made.

>>16277484
I'll take this advice. But my car is far from a shit box.
>>
>>16277510
You shift into reverse you retard.
>>
>>16277388
Umm... How do you stop in gear? Last i checked thats called an engine stall.
>>
>>16277510
>don't shift into first
This due to the revs going fuck all high if you're at a decent speed in second ?
>>
>>16277511
BOYRACER
O
Y
R
A
C
E
R

Why don't hold your car with the clutch like a real raceboi? Pussy poorfag
>>
>>16277456
>autistic boyracer says the one who can't drive properly
>>
>>16277544
>guise I am a real car enthusiast because I can do completly useless basics.

Gud job lad
>>
>>16277562
>basics
>completely useless
Go back to basics.
>>
>>16277483
Slamming gears into place ? What is this ?
>>
>>16277203
slam it into R for race at 100MPH
>>
>>16277574
Why not just use the e brake, boiracer?
You really love blinding the people behind you, huh?
>>
UK manual license holder here, I passed my test by stepping on the clutch and coasting around corners until I needed the acceleration to get around it. Is it really all that bad? I also used to bang it into neutral and hold down the clutch to coast down this really long road down a hill.
>>
File: 1473730321690.jpg (18KB, 270x320px) Image search: [Google]
1473730321690.jpg
18KB, 270x320px
>>16277642
If the clutch is in you are in neutral despite where the stick is since the trans is not currently connected to the engine.

The only time the clutch should be in is when you are changing gears, starting from a stop, or coming to a stop at a light.

Why put the clutch in while turning? If you are going fast enough to be on the road the car isn't gonna stall.
>>
>>16277788

I dunno, I guess that's just how I got used to driving. Didn't think it did any real damage.
>>
Driving manual is about rules and restrictions. Yes, yes. Hard rigid rules and strict conditions.
>>
>>16277483
How much cock do you suck?
I'm betting a lot.
>>
File: 1472784296637.jpg (61KB, 494x471px) Image search: [Google]
1472784296637.jpg
61KB, 494x471px
>>16277799
I mean it won't do damage. It's more wear on a wear item. I just never understood why people cost in neutral or with the clutch in. There is never a reason besides that's just the way I do it.
>>
>>16277810
>like you don't know big boy
You forget our love so quickly anon
>>
>>16277821
That wasn't me on the other side of the wall.
I told your dad there was a surprise waiting for him.
>>
>>16277510
The reason you hear don't put it in first while moving is from way back in the day when 1st gear was never synchronized in transmissions, and so it was VERY difficult to hit first while moving without severe grinding. Possible, but difficult. If first gear is synchronized, don't hesitate to downshift from 2nd. Even if it's not, learn how to rev match (requires double clutching; blipping the throttle with the clutch in does not change the rotational speed of the input shaft) and do whatever you want to.
>>
>>16277318
This. I typically never have to downshift past 3rd gear when coming to a stop.
>>
>>16277588
>tail brake lights
>blinding
Are you albino or some shit?
>>
File: IMG_0919.png (7KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0919.png
7KB, 225x225px
wealth of information here, thanks lads. I need to work on my rev matching.
>>
>>16277862
Your last part about rev matching. How do you do it ten if you aren't supposed to blip the throttle with the clutch in? Or maybe I'm reading what you said incorrectly
>>
>>16278360
That's why you double-clutch like you're supposed ta
>>
>>16277250
Tires become frictionless when out of gear!?
Learn something everyday.
>>
>>16277388
>it is not legal to coast out of gear, nor is it legal to sit at a light or stop sign in Neutral
What fucking third world shithole do you live in?

One hand on the wheel is all the law requires in civilized countries(because if the law required you to have both hands on the wheel at all times, shifting gears would be illegal)
>>
>>16277410
>calls it e-brake
>uses it for anything other than an emergency or to park the car
>>
>>16277483
>this copypasta again
you literally commented that nigger's driving, again, without the video, also neutral is not used for shifting unless you're on a track or driving a 1920's car
>>16277575
Pulling or pushing the stick fast/with tons of force, this will break or bend things
>>
>>16278407
Bullshit. No need to double-clutch to rev match
>>
>>16277415
>If you have a person sitting next to you, and you shift, and you see them luge forward, or backward, you know you are doing something wrong.

I have been driving manual for about a year and a half and I have mostly mitigated this. The only time I can't seem to fully eliminate it ever is when taking it out of gear to shift. The shift into gear isn't an issue. It's the force being taken off the trans or some such. I can make it less by coming off the throttle quickly but smoothly and then come out of gear before the vehicle starts engine braking. Any advice on how to fully eliminate this? Is it just practice or is it not really possible to eliminate it fully?
>>
>>16278407
IM not sure what that means but on my motorcycle all I do is clutch in, rev and release the clutch and I have a smooth downshift. I'm pretty sure it should be the exact same way for a car.
>>
>>16278684
It is. That autist doesn't know how synchros work.

You do not have to double clutch to rev match on a synchro-mesh transmission.

Using a vehicle causes wear. If the justification for purposefully bypassing an engineered function is to prevent wear, might as well just park the damn car now.
>>
>tfw still bad at turning into shopping centers and stalling the car
:|
>>
I'm an American and I don't really disagree, I got an automatic Camaro just so I wouldn't have to deal with all this crap in traffic everyday.
>>
>>16279026
The thing is its not all that. I don't even have to think about any of those while I'm driving. When you drive a stick for so long it's pretty much muscle memory.

But I think it's actually cheaper to buy the camera with auto than it is for stick. At least in Burgerland that's how my buddy ended up with an auto camero cause it was 2k more for the manual version.
>>
>>16278612
If your car jerks when coming off throttle you may have drive shaft, or loose engine mount issues.

Otherwise to counteract unsmooth decal, depress the clutch, and not the accelerator first. Then let off the gas.

I just reread your thing again. Are you not disengaging the clutch when shift out of gear? you dont mention that step.
>>
I need my dad to teach me how to drive a manual
>>
>>16278612
Bring up gas pedal until you are no longer accelerating and are just starting to coast. Put clutch down slower than necessary instead of stomping it. Now change the gear. Bring clutch up in a controlled fashion, same time apply gas until you feel clutch slip. Feel it match, allow clutch come up, throttle down and on you go, smooth and not jerky.
>>
>>16279243
This happens with all manual cars since they don't have torque converters especially in 1st and 2nd gear.

At those gears you have to be smooth with the gas
>>
>>16279243

I am disengaging the clutch. Perhaps I'll take your advice and disengage clutch before coming off the throttle. Thinking about how I do it is hard to get a picture in my mind. I will know when I go to do it. But if what I am picturing is right, your advice seems counter to what is normal or logical. While I do sometimes disengage the clutch first, I don't usually as I would logical want to be off the throttle as to not rev in neutral. idk I will have to do it and see if what I am imagining and reality mesh up.

As for the vehicle jerking when I come off the throttle, it really doesn't unless I am at high RPM or I am messing around and going on and off the throttle to make it jerk.

>>16279384

This is what I've been doing. It's gotten much better since I have been deliberate with it. It's just that people are such limp dicks in the passenger seat that any change in momentum moves them. Perhaps I am being picky in wanting to literally have it perfect or I just need practice. Can't say for sure. It sucks having the only person I know who drives manual be my landlady who is FUCKING TERRIBLE so she is of no help to me.
>>
>>16279415
You probably don't feel the changes nearly as much since you have the wheel to grip and know to anticipate every change. Passengers swaying is a very good indicator. Sounds like you are doing it right, just insert some slowness into the process and you can pick apart the effects.
>>
>>16279415
When you disengage the clutch you disconnect your engine from the rest of the car. when you let off the throttle the engine starts to slow down, and sometimes slows down faster than what the gearing allows, so it then matches your engine speeds, and shakes the car a bit. this all happens in the fraction of a second when you remove your foot of the accelerator, and then depress the clutch.
All this can feel worse if you have bad engine mounts, ball joints, or drive shafts

So for smoother disengagement, depress the clutch
>>
>>16278557
double clutch is needed for smooth downshift to 1
>>
>>16277862
rev matching does not require double clutching, what the fuck are you talking about?
>>
>>16278557
>>16279499
And revmatching is required for smooth downshifts
>>
>>16279616
no
>>
>>16277441
It really depends on what car your driving. When I'm driving my dad's torquey V8, I almost never need the hand break. But when I'm in my brothers Ford focus I usually need the hand break for smooth Hill starts.
>>
>>16279628
Um yes. Depending on the clutch for a smooth downshift is very bad for said clutch.
>>
>>16277492
> Some people blip the throttle when they are downshifting, some people don't.
The only reason they don't blip the throttle is because they don't mind fucking up their clutch.
>>
>>16279852
If you can't control the clutch with DCT precision you're doing it wrong.
>>
>>16279944
DCTs revmatch downshifts you idiot
>>
File: 1474502039591.jpg (53KB, 548x513px) Image search: [Google]
1474502039591.jpg
53KB, 548x513px
>>16277411
>Nobody who isn't learning touches the handbrake except for parking.
>this is what kiddos who think manual is a secret club actually think
>>
>>16280053
He's right tho

>>16280024
CONTROL THE CLUTCH LIKE MECHATRONIC PRECISION
I didn't say anything about rev matching or downshifting. I'm talking about launches on inclines, there should never be enough time between initiation of clutch engagement and actual clutch biting for the car to roll back. It should be fast as DCT and even smoother than most of them. When you can do this, you can be considered a manual driver.
>>
>>16280057
Why did you reply to my post regarding downshifts then
>>
>>16280076
idk I'm probably gay?
>>
>>16280078
Probably you big queer
>>
>>16280057
>When you can do this, you can be considered a manual driver.

You sound like such a twat. Please. I get what you're saying, but stop being such a pretentious wad about things.
Thread posts: 80
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.