[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So i'm a bit of a newfag when it comes to cars, i mean my

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 4

File: 00h0h_9EbErOTo04D_1200x900.jpg (72KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
00h0h_9EbErOTo04D_1200x900.jpg
72KB, 640x480px
So i'm a bit of a newfag when it comes to cars, i mean my entire childhood is nothing but racing games with a steering wheeel, but i dont know much about cars themselves.

I'm looking for a bit of a "my first project car" and my co-worker who attends track events recommended me a miata because its a fun daily driver, and can be taken to many "non-serious" track events.

I'm also on a stupidly tight budget, and i'm trying to buy a new car before my '96 mirage bites the dust, which i feel can literally be any minute.

What are major problems to look for on 90s miatas?
what would you recommend instead?

Found pic related locally for $1900 ('91 MX-5), is this a good deal?

This car almost feels too cheap (it is a 1.6 not a 1.8), says it runs, only 100K miles, but says ther'es a blinking airbag light, some research indicates these are typically easy to fix, and under $100?

Has a bunch of dents and dings, but says its from parking lot assholes, and it matches up with the type of damage.

If you're looking for a cheap as fuck car, and have roughly $250 a month to dump into it, is there any reason not to get a miata? (can't get any loans thanks to a school loan)

i'm not looking for a race car, just a fun daily driver that can be cheaply repaired.
>>
>>16271934
The miata is an absolutely fantastic car from top to bottom given that you are OK with sacrificing the practical uses of more traditional alternatives (carrying a lot of passengers, towing power, arguably comfort, etc...)

Currently the most sought after version is the later year NA models (NA lasted from 1989-1997) because it contains the more powerful 1.8 engine. Despite what you'll read online, the difference is largely negligible and there is no need to go out of your way to get the 1.8 if you can not. However, if you easily have the option to do so, then it is recommended to go with the 1.8

The later year NAs are also arguably safer.

Limited slip differential is nice but also overrated so do not go out of your way to look for this if it poses an inconvenience.

$1,500 is about the average price tag for a mechanically sound NA miata that has body issues (rust, dings, dents, scratches, etc...).
>>
>>16271934
great pic brodie dont listen to retards calling it a gay car and 1900 is a good price assuming everything work but beware of rattling in these cars its very common
>>
>>16271979
>given that you are OK with sacrificing the practical uses

isn't that what the GF/Wife's car is for? ;^)

glad to hear the 1.8 isnt as big of a difference as it sounds, will make it a lot easier looking for one.

i also just realized they're throwing in a set of tires/rims (tires look the same, and there's no cage, highly doubt it was tracked)

>>16271997
>but beware of rattling in these cars its very common
are we talking bad engine mounts/idle kind of rattle?
or are are we talking old corvette "i'm gonna die" kind of rattle?
>>
File: crank13.jpg (56KB, 500x287px) Image search: [Google]
crank13.jpg
56KB, 500x287px
>>16271934

They DO have issues.
Most notably being:

1. The ones made before june 1991 have the so called shortnose crank. To see if it has the longnose (the safe one), check that the pulley wheel has 8 holes in it. If it has 4, it's a shortnose.

2. Piss weak (6" ring gear) differentials. 94+ has the 7" unit that is much more sturdy.
>>
>>16274110
>implying the problem exists in any cars over 30k miles
>>
File: implying.gif (2MB, 300x168px) Image search: [Google]
implying.gif
2MB, 300x168px
>>16274132

>Implying that I'm implying anything that isn't common knowledge in any miata circle.
>>
$1900 isn't a terrible price for that car. Just make damn sure it has no rust. Check the A pillars and rocker panels very well. Also under the carpet in the trunk. If there's rust walk away it's not worth dealing with at all. Get it up on a lift to inspect it. Make sure the top is in good shape too.

I would want to know the last time the TB and water pump were replaced. It isn't the end of the world if the TB breaks in a NA Miata because its a non interference engine, but it's still gonna leave you stranded waiting for a tow truck. If they can't tell when they were replaced then I would replace em anyways. It's not too hard to DIY.

Air bag light I wouldn't worry about unless you live in a state that has safety inspections and requires shit like that be fixed. The Miata is a tin can car you're gonna get fucked up or die regardless of an airbag being present if you wreck it. If you can fix it easily enough then cool, but it would be simpler to just remove it or put on a non airbag wheel. I wouldn't trust a 20+ year old air bag anyways.

The only real problems with the Miatas were the SNC issues and that was mostly fixed by 91. Google it, there are easy ways to check if this particular car is affected. With 100k miles my guess is its just fine.
>>
File: G35c_MX-5.png (1MB, 972x593px) Image search: [Google]
G35c_MX-5.png
1MB, 972x593px
From experience.
>rear main crank seal tends to leak
>oil cooler tends to leak
>if the car overheats it is very likely you have a blown head gasket
>If you have a blown head gasket you almost certainly have a warped head that will require resurfacing and a complete rebuild
I know this because it's happened to me and several other people I know. If an NA Miata overheats it most likely has a warped head.
>slave/master cylinder will eventually shit on you

That's pretty much all the main issues I know of besides >>16274110
>>
>>16274265
christ that miata looks like shit
>>
>>16274271
Yeah it was shit. I still miss it though.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.