[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Question would it be cheaper in long run to buy a new car and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: 1357848723900.jpg (19KB, 273x300px) Image search: [Google]
1357848723900.jpg
19KB, 273x300px
Question would it be cheaper in long run to buy a new car and maintain it or buy a used car and go from there?
I don't know too much abotu cars but smart enough to learn
>>
>>16266137
Whole lot of variables there. A 10 year old neglected BMW will most likely cost more in the long run than a new Accord.
>>
It's never ever ever cheaper to buy a new car. In your situation where you have the money/credit etc to buy a new car and you want to make a wise decision and learn as you go I would suggest buying a certified preowned cat with a warranty. Do your research on advance about which one you want and learn the basics of maintaining while it's still covered.
>>
>>16266137
It depends on the lengths you're willing to go to keep one running.

A new one costs more when it fails. An old one will have you going back to the shop often just to get it to a level where its reliable.
>>
>>16266137
Any <$15k new car will be cheaper as long as you can keep it for more than 8 years

Here's a scenario in which you only drive to about 15k miles during 8 year span

>8 new tires @ ~$55/tire
>2 basic oil changes/year @ $30/change
>Possible starter (1) or Oxy sensor (~2) replacements
>2 new sets of wiper blades

seems pretty affordable to buy a new car under $15k

>
>>
>>16266164
Not true at all. Ignore absolutes like this op.

What happens when you buy a $7k 325i and discover the engine is bad, the frame is rusted etc? It would cost as much or more to restore it, and it would still be an old car.

What you are trying to say is
>it's usually cheaper to keep a shitty car running than to buy a new car, but it will constantly need to be in the shop for repairs and the down time might not be worth it.
>>
>>16268328
See that's exactly why I presumed OP was completely and totally ignorant even on obvious issues like those and went on to suggest he buy a certified preowned car with a warranty. You really gotta try to stay on your meds so you can read posts at least half way through before you reply to them.
>>
>>16266137
Definitely cheaper to maintain an old car than to buy a new one if you spend your money intelligently.
>>
>>16266137
>buy civic for 2k from family (was worth 3k)
>spend like $2500 on it over 2.5 years
now it pretty much needs nothing.

A new car is going to depreciate over 100 bucks a month for first couple years plus you're putting cash up front for a down payment and you'll have to pay more property tax and insurance on a newer car.
>>
>>16266137
only buy a new car if:
A. can afford it and afford to keep up the maintenance
B. love the car

if you dont love the car its no point buying any car.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.