[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Friendly reminder that this has several times the budget of old

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 100
Thread images: 13

File: gt.jpg (49KB, 767x501px) Image search: [Google]
gt.jpg
49KB, 767x501px
Friendly reminder that this has several times the budget of old Top Gear per episode.
>>
>British engineering
>>
AND NOW PLEASE RISE AND CLAP FOR AMERICAN-FRIENDLY SCRIPTED HUMOR
>>
>>16254736
Yeah, that really is it. A convoluted unsophisticated contraption with a very narrow but unique function that it does so badly that nobody could possibly want it.
>>
>>16254724

The Grand Tour won't last long.

Just look at James May. He's in it just for dem monis. You can see how fed up with things he is.
>>
But did you get it? Hammond brought a shouty American musclecar on a journey that was supposed to be quaint and restrained. I mean it was very subtle and all with tunnel the revs, and the museum and the revs, and the opera and the revs, and boat and the revs. And did you notice how James didn't like it? He had this little twitch going on. Do you get it? It's about how Europeans like sophisticated things and Americans like vulgar things. Like you know, the paintings they've done, that was a metaphor about cultural differences. Have you understood it yet? I really want to stress it out how Richard's choice of car was not like Jeremy's and James'.
>>
How was episode 3?
>>
>>16254767
I want James May to go back to posting drunk cooking videos on Youtube and doing BBC shows about interesting things like the history of shitty cars or building houses out of Lego.
>>
>>16254917
Shit to be honest, there is a lot of forced humour going on so far in this series maybe amazon has something to do with this?
>>
>>16254930
this
>celebrities all getting "killed" before appearing on the show
>the new american driver that isn't funny at all
i also don't like the stupid tent thing

why can't they just do it in a studio
>>
>>16255033
Because they're traveling around the world. Each week they're in a different part of the world.
>>
>>16254724
One of the worst things you can do to a project is give it all the budget it asks for.
>>
>>16254928
this

he should start his own show where he gets drunk and rambles on about random shit

id watch that
>>
>>16255079
have you watched reassembler

it's ace biscuits
>>
>>16255064
>each week they're in a different part of the world
>every time the humor is amerified
FUCK. I thought this would be a one time thing for the first episode in the US, but Amazon are forcing it on them every time.
>>
Episode 3 summarize ;

>They go to road trip, hellcat was doing donuts over and over again.
>Clarkson and May shout at Hammond for this
>No other joke in 40 min segment
>Same, celebrity died in the way """joke"""
>Conversation Street bit was the only listenable part but you can see they can only get relaxed and go out of script for 5 sentences
>They blow the Clarksons house, lots of joke potential, non was used.
>And this bombshell...

Did they tune the show for americans so that it's basic as possible ?
>>
File: 1085-93.jpg (20KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
1085-93.jpg
20KB, 640x360px
>>16255071

This . It must be quite the larf to be blowing Amazon money like toilet paper in public WC.
>>
TGT is just TG with first world cinematography
>>
>lele I would totally watch James May being drunk lolo
>his unemployment channel xddd, haha I would watch that haha
can you redditards go back to the place where people think making the same jokes over and over and over again is ok?
>>
>>16255249
What jokes? May's the best and most interesting presenter on the show.
>>
>>16255259

And he hates street cars designed for the Nurburgring. Pointless bragging rights that makes the car less enjoyable to daily drive.

And he's right.
>>
>>16255033
>>16255064
I think it is actually a legal issue with the BBC. I don't think they are aloud to have a brick and mortar set like they did because of some copyright shit. I could be wrong though.
>>
>>16255071
This. You need restrictions to be creative which in turn makes it more entertaining and interesting. Something definitely isn't right with this series and I hope the numbers dwindle so they will listen to criticism and allow them to be more british free-form rather than this forced basic american humour.
>>
>>16255300
>You need restrictions to be creative
And that's why American cars will never be good.
>>
>>16254928
>I want James May to go back to posting drunk cooking videos on Youtube

These are honesty better then anything GT has put out yet.
>>
They should let them ramble about incoherent things instead of staying around 1 hour.
>>
>>16254724
Friendly reminder that I gave up on gop tear after watching 1st episode.
>>
I'm not sure if I even want to waste the disk space archiving ep03...
All the bullshit with the hellcat really pissed me off. I just wanted a nice road trip vlog of the three as they drive through France and stop off to do activities. But it gets shitted on every 30 seconds by force.

Even the house thing, if I didn't know they were doing it to rebuild and it was planned, it would have been so out of place.
>>
>>16255445
Sames, still hoping they'll see the error in their ways and get their shit together tho. Maybe season 2
>>
File: hamsterstopsbyforachat.jpg (537KB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
hamsterstopsbyforachat.jpg
537KB, 2560x1440px
Sup faggots
>>
poo bum

sumtimes poo poo from bum bum
>>
>>16255576

t-.

GT American Writers
>>
File: the grand tour.png (203KB, 278x361px) Image search: [Google]
the grand tour.png
203KB, 278x361px
>>
>>16254928
http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2016/james-may-reassembler
>>
>>16255175
Americans loved British top gear m8
>>
File: clobberedclarkson.jpg (293KB, 1921x1074px) Image search: [Google]
clobberedclarkson.jpg
293KB, 1921x1074px
GAUHHHAHHWWW MAA EAADD
>>
>>16255772
YES! The episode where he puts together the lawnmower was incredibly satisfying.
>>
The US can ruin any British show, even Kitchen Nightmares was shit. When did it all go wrong? Could it have been American Choppers? (Perhaps it's always been shit regardless?)

Not that complaining and generalizing is hard to do.
>>
>>16255886
Amazon gave them unlimited budget. That's something that almost always results in a lower product for "reality" tv shows.

>>16255780
This. Hope season 2, if they get one, is better.
>>
>>16255267
>his review of the slow Caterham was the most on-point thing ever said on Top Gear
>>
>>16256028
Top Gear UK had a pretty big budget though anyway
>>
>>16256028
The three highest rated TV hosts in the UK don't suddenly become unfunny just because they have a higher budget. This pile of shit stinks of other people writing the script for them so that they can have a motoring show at all.
>>
As a Brit who enjoys Astons, for $50k that Hellcat is damn good value and I'd have it over the DB11.
>>
>>16254724
Throwing money at writers doesn't suddenly make them good.
The production value is good, the concept behind the show, the tent, the cars, the many locations show they make good use of that budget.
But money can't buy comedy.
>>
>>16254770
More like Hammond desperately wants to be an American.
>>
File: ahem.png (25KB, 283x283px) Image search: [Google]
ahem.png
25KB, 283x283px
It's easy for us to comb through 20-odd seasons of the show, pick out the top 15 or 20 episodes and say "Ooh wasn't every second of that show brilliant? Isn't it just the smartest, funniest show you've ever seen?"

But let's be honest, Top Gear always had stupid skits and lame scripted bits and shit. In fact there are entire seasons where that shit is 90% of the season.

The parts that were always genuinely, super enjoyable were the challenges and the specials, neither of which we've really seen anything like on Grand Tour...

... yet.
>>
File: 1480613582001.jpg (41KB, 600x791px) Image search: [Google]
1480613582001.jpg
41KB, 600x791px
Pic related, the last two episodes. We're expected to love it because it's these three, rather than there being any actual content.
>>16256529
I'm tempted to agree with you. Honestly, some of the best comedy in that show comes from challenges, cheap cars, and shitty modifications rather than big budget super/hyper/ultra cars. We have yet to see something along those lines. Something like turning a D21 into a boat and capsizing, driving an old dodge truck, a landyatch, and a third gen Camaro through America, or driving a volvo wagon through Africa, or a dually miata through a middle eastern desert. Hopefully their lawyers can figure out a way to make similar challenges while squirming around the copyright issue.

On a side note, I wonder what Oliver is doing right now.
>>
File: gn4ONma.png (81KB, 477x355px) Image search: [Google]
gn4ONma.png
81KB, 477x355px
>>16256622
>dually miata

OK now I'm imagining some sort of LS-swapped dually monstrosity and I kinda like it
>>
>>16256529
This this this!

The show was always at its best when it was just the three of them dealing with absurd challenges or tearing about other countries in 30-year old used cars.

We haven't had any of that so far, it's been almost nothing but supercars and timed laps for three episodes.
>>
>>16256636
It's far more stunning than that.
>>16256663
>it's been almost nothing but supercars and timed laps for three episodes.
*two episodes.
>>
>>16254770
>If the british like it, it is refined
>If americans like it, it is vulgar

If the brits liked loud things it would be a beautiful, sophisticated symphony of aural automotive orgasms and a tribute to the ingenuity of man

If americans liked queit things it would be the vicious, animalistic silence of a jungle predator.
>>
>>16255033
the american driver is intentionally annoying and stupid because they're going to randomly kill him off and replace him with the old stig. it's already on their youtube
>>
>>16256695
No, three episodes now.
>>
>>16256778
I think he was trying to make a joke about the South Africa episode.
>>
>forced jokes
>not funny anymore

You guys are fucking retarded. Top Gear was literally the same shit.
>>
File: slowlytriggered.jpg (48KB, 386x513px) Image search: [Google]
slowlytriggered.jpg
48KB, 386x513px
>>16256839
>>
Just finished ep3.

It wasn't particularly good but it was definitely watchable. It wasn't that much more scripted than the later Top Gears were if you ask me. The celebrity thing isn't very good but it wasn't nearly as bad this time as it was in episode 1.
>>
>>16258877
It's a pretty bad running joke that always takes far too long.
In comparison, the drone crashing before every episode might not be the highest point of comedy, it's at least sort of fun and doesn't feel as forced, nor does it waste 3 minutes.
>>
>>16258896
I don't like it either but the worst part about it in episode 1 was that they did it 3 times in a row. At least this time there was just a shot introduction before they moved on with the show.
>>
Anyone got stream?
>>
>>16254917
I liked it. Much better than episode 2.
>>
>>16254767
The boys have already agreed to three seasons. Once those seasons are up, they'll probably retire. There is no way they want to keep doing this.
>>
>>16255079
that show exists
>>
>>16255300
this is what i thought last night. They dont have producers making up shit and forcing them do it.
All shitcar challengers started with "producers gave us x amount and told us to do this" hopefully they'll get the supercars out of their system and get over their holiday shit and start doing shit
>>
>>16258956
they do, in interviews they say they love it.
>>
I don't get how in all of their interviews the guys say about how the show is made by their relationship, yet they insert so much scripted scenes. Just take this episode for example: Clarkson and May making angry faces over Hammon revving his Dodge was boring and forced and overdone, but the simple scene where Clarkson and Hammond read Rolls manual or something and make fun of it was a funny scene. Same shit was with old Top Gear. Take for another example India special: them dropping cans with food or writing rude words on a train was not funny, but the outtake where they're in Himalayas sitting around the fire and bickering was one of their funniest material. They constantly talk about that sort of things in interviews and promotional videos, yet when they go to make a show it's again just acting out cheap sitcom-tier jokes from the script.
>>
>>16258969
watch top gear outtakes. there's like a playlist of 67 clips. They're all that kind of unscripted shit
they're really funny when camera is not rolling.

But yes overall i agree with you
>>
positive
>cinematography

negative
>american """humour"""
>>
>>16258969
Yes. GT has a ton of the crappy scripted jokes and sketches... so did 90% of Top Gear episodes. It's that 10% - the challenges, the specials, the outtakes that make it into the final cut where the best stuff has always been.
>>
File: hamster sees a nissan juke.jpg (141KB, 1394x751px) Image search: [Google]
hamster sees a nissan juke.jpg
141KB, 1394x751px
everyone bitching about the show: remember the first series of clarkson top gear? it might take awhile to figure out what works and what doesn't and how to best use the format. if i judged all of top gear by series 1 episode 3 i would probably have never watched it again.
>>
>>16255249
That shit is better than the grand tour, no one is joking about it
>>
>>16259610
You're comparing a set of new hosts trying to turn into entertainment old program that did nothing but straight technical car reviews starting their way from no audience whatsoever. They're not experimenting with shit, they've already did all the experiments on TG and they have largest audience any non-fictional tv show ever had, now they just carry it over. There's nothing to be worked out, everything's already worked out, and this is what they chose to go with. Maybe if their rating plummet seriously and criticism settles in they'll try to change, but as long as they keep up living on their reputation this is exactly how it will go until one of them dies.
>>
>>16259610
Yes, but think about the amout of experience they have from making Top Gear for all those years

Its not really comparable
>>
>>16259028
How many times are you going to "hurr durr murrika humor" in these threads, it's obviously you every time
>>
>>16254724
Just a friendly reminder, they've already filmed basically everything. Nothing will change this season.
>>
>>16258932
Fmovies.to
>>
>>16259262
This, the show just started. If it's still like this by the 3rd season I'll feel differently.
>>
>>16259684
The tri didn't write Tope Gear itself.
They aren't writing TGT either.
It's a typical case of writers now konwing what to do with their actord, particularly with the pressure of said actors being very well known and the audience thus having specific expectations.
>>
>>16259684
Don't forget - all those years of Top Gear they were able to figure out what worked, what didn't.

Now they're in a brand new series and almost all the shit they did in the old series is now legally "off limits".

They're not starting from scratch, sure, but they're not far off.
>>
>>16259680
good points, anon, but have you considered that behind the scenes, maybe the cunts at BBC might not allow them to do a lot of the stuff that worked on TG? or that they might be pressured by amazon or just want to do things to appeal to the new audience considering that 99% of americans have never heard of TG except for the fuckawful american version of it, and 99% of americans think all british are douchebags and won't want to watch them?

they're still feeling out some uncharted territory
>>
>>16254917
I was having a lot more fun than the last 2 episodes, although I liked those too, yet I didn't know why

Then I remembered The American wasn't in it
>>
File: tyres.jpg (519KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
tyres.jpg
519KB, 1920x1080px
>>16260448
hammond was the honorary american in ep3
>>
Top Gear US is now the best Top Gear out there.

Amazing how things have changed.

TGT is fucking horrible. I couldn't watch it. Is it even about cars at all?
>>
>>16260441
>and 99% of americans think all british are douchebags
I mean they're not wrong
>>
>>16260520
>I mean they're not wrong
They are wrong.
99% of brits are cunts, not douchebags.
Yes, there is a difference.
>>
>>16256137
it looks nicer, too
>>
>>16260512
Good thing you told us that you didn't watch it. You spoke like if you were entitled to an opinion over it.
>>
I like the "accidental death of a celebrity" segment. Especially over the dull "celebrity track day" segment of TG.
>>
>>16260591
no
he is correct
>>
>>16260693
Plenty of celebrity segments were very funny on TG, Simon Peg was one of them.
>>
>>16260781
Very few*
Fixed it for you. Most of everyone was not Simon Peg.
>>
>>16256229
Hammond has the best taste, of course
>>
>>16260693
agreed. fuck celebrities, anyway. seems like the star in reasonably priced car interview is where new tg viewers tune the fuck out, in my (american) experience.
>>
>>16255267
z06 > gtr nismo
>>
>>16255458

They were in Italy...
>>
>>16261085
I'd watch it when it was an actor or musician who's works I tended to enjoy, but otherwise it was just a signal that I should go put the kettle on for a cup of tea.
>>
I hope they drop the celeb trash desu
>>
i love top gear and the goofy skits.
-an american
>>
>>16260163
They did.
Clarkson and Wilman did, and Wilman is making TGT too.
>>
File: IMG_5763.png (1MB, 1334x750px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5763.png
1MB, 1334x750px
>>16255087
>mfw watching the reassembler in my garage while working on my car
Thread posts: 100
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.