[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is dailying a RHD car in the US (or any country that drives on

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

File: niisan.jpg (86KB, 960x796px) Image search: [Google]
niisan.jpg
86KB, 960x796px
Is dailying a RHD car in the US (or any country that drives on the right) viable? I go to school in rural af northern Commiefornyah (Humboldt) and I kinda want to import something like a Silvia/180sx, Soarer, or Cresta once I save up after eating nothing but ramen all semester.
>>
sounds like a bit of a pain, but i can't imagine why it wouldn't be viable
left turns and two-lane overtaking would become trickier but that's it (well and tollbooths and the like, better have a passenger to grab things at the drive through)
>>
>>16252613
>not going into a drive thru in reverse
>>
OP I'm going to stop you right here.
> California
It's not going to happen.
Put it out of your mind, forget it, don't look back.
It is legal, albeit a massive pain to import cars from Canada into the US, let alone Japan, even with the 25 year rule.
California has Smog testing. Any vehicle brought it not only has to get past US Customs Enforcement (who will happily seize/crush it for you if anything is out of place) but also the DMV, who will not let you register it unless it meets California's particularly strict and arbitrary emissions specifications.

In short, the way that car will roll off the boat, it won't. You'll have to do an engine swap every 2 years for the smog checks. Alternatively you'll have to register it out of state and hope nobody finds out that you're dodging registration fees which warrants a massive fine if caught. There's even a tip line and rewards for reporting people who do that because it's so common.

Considering that you also have a vast market of cheap, fixable, rust-free vehicles available in California already I think you'd be retarded to import anything from Japan nomatter how cool the Anime is.
>>
>>16252770
The thing about California is that we have some dealerships who import them, and also have RHD stuff in their lot. I grew up in LA and RX7s were everywhere, and people have managed to get R32s registered.
>>
>importing ANYTHING to the shittiest state
lmao, what are you fucking stupid. You will NOT be able to import anything into California.

That's what you get for assbackwards smogs logs, and for living in the worse state imaginable.

>>16252792
provide proof, not even an actual ae85 will pass emissions, much less a r32
>>
>>16252800
ALSO TO ADD
240s in your state are so cheap, I even found a automatic one for you

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/cto/5901326253.html
>>
>>16252792
If it's handled by a dealer it should at least be hassle free at the time of purchase. Be advised that some engines and parts may still be Japan specific which would be a pain as well.

Initial registration and biannual smog tests are the biggest problems though. If you can get that sorted and then get used to driving from the right hand side of the car I suppose you'd be doing OK.

As far as I'm concerned all this trouble only makes sense of you firmly insist on being a special snowflake.
>>
File: ARB Label 9-9-2015.jpg (66KB, 640x468px) Image search: [Google]
ARB Label 9-9-2015.jpg
66KB, 640x468px
>>16252800
You thought I was kidding?
>>
>>16252808
>https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/cto/5901326253.html
I want a manual
>>
File: Smog Check California.jpg (72KB, 491x640px) Image search: [Google]
Smog Check California.jpg
72KB, 491x640px
>>16252800
>>
>>16252800
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0J9w6cvgb9w
>>
File: 1478650644146.png (43KB, 340x515px) Image search: [Google]
1478650644146.png
43KB, 340x515px
>>16252856
>Massive inverted ballsack you touch twice per drive.

>Instead of aesthetically pleasing dong to fondle constantly.

I'd want the manual too, anon.
>>
>>16252585
Importing into kalifornia will suck. If you get a rhd car that was never meant for california it will need to be smogged by someone who can get it through. If you could find a car that was already imported, and modded to pass smog that would be optimal.

If I were you I would just get a jap shitbox that is lhd here like a 240sx a lexus with a 2jz or something. Then when you move out of kalifornia you could pick your rhd car.
>>
>>16252585
Legalizing for California is expensive as fuck. If it's ready to go to pass emission requirements from the start you'll pay a few thousand dollars just for the emissions testing.

If the car doesn't pass without modification you're looking at a shit load of money. The stock R32 is 10k between extra cats and ignition timing mods and testing emissions. It is a royal pain in the dick.

I'm looking into how to do things better and the RB26 will probably be able to pass much more easily if you use HKS VCAM as you can control overlap and allow for exhaust gases to vent into the intake to some extent to reduce combustion temperatures and therefore the emissions. Stoich is by far the hottest combustion temperature and it's what the closed loop targets when stock so any EGR will help a lot with emissions.
>>
>>16253209
My dream car is a 1jz swapped sileighty
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.