[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So I want to learn manual and I am just trying to visualize shit

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: 1452562056328.jpg (263KB, 683x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1452562056328.jpg
263KB, 683x1024px
So I want to learn manual and I am just trying to visualize shit before I pick up my first car.

You know things I never noticed since I always just drove auto

I think I get the idea of how to shift up, but now it's down shifting and stopping

say if I was just driving normally in 2 or 3rd gear, can I just use the brakes as I approach a stop light like you would with an automatic? as in just press on the brakes, stop, then go back to first gear or whatever

or do you need to downshift as you approach?

also why do people say manual can get annoying in traffic.

wouldn't you already be in first gear and just need to release the brake and continue moving?

also is it possible to skip gears ?
>>
Shifting gears?

Is that like listening to old vinyl because it's retro?
>>
Maybe I'm lazy, but if I'm coming to a stop I just throw it in neutral and, well, come to a stop.
>>
>>16250636
Study tutorials on YouTube to make learning ALOT easier, it's one thing having someone tell you what to do and how to do it but way easier when you see motions of clutch/gas peddles
>>
>>16250811
Same here
>>
>>16250636
Yeah you can skip gears such as you can go from 1 to 3
>>
>>16250866
>>16250811
You really should just hold in the clutch and downshift. You dont have to engage, but youll be able to if for some godforsaken reason you have to bolt.
>>
>>16250636
If you're coming to a stop, just throw it in neutral. I am a motorcyclist so believe me when I say that I am well aware this advice is extremely unconventional (at least in the world of motorcycles) where it's almost always recommended to just stay in gear.

However, what these faggots don't realize is that the shifting dynamic is different in a car. I am not going to go through a six step H pattern to downshift when I could just throw the shifter in the middle to neutral and get a clean slate. On a motorcycle, it's different since I have to crack down the shifter to even get to neutral and neutral itself is kind of hard to find.
>>
>>16250636
Test drive a vehicle that's manual. Tell them that you're looking for your first vehicle and you want it to be a stick, then you tell them you want to test drive a couple.
Don't go for anything "sporty" because they'll just think you're going for a joyride. They won't let you if they think that.

I learned from working at Jiffy Lube and doing that.

Honestly, that is the only way you will learn, from experience.
I will say if you're coming to a red light, just pop it into neutral and brake.
If it turns green while you're still braking just pop it into the appropriate gear for the speed you're going and then keep going.

If you're just slowing down because traffic is slowing down, brake until your RPMs drop below 1k (depending on the car, whatever is the stalling RPM. You'll feel it) put clutch in, downshift, blip throttle (not necessary but muh syncros), and let clutch out slowly.

Manual is annoying in traffic (not really) because the engine is always spinning so you can't be in first because the idle RPM torque isn't enough to pull the vehicle forward. If your wheels are connected to the engine and the wheels are braked, the engine is prevented from spinning, stalling it. So you cannot put it in first and leave it there.
You can't let out the clutch fully in stop and go traffic, either. The optimal clutch release point is different per car but the general speed I go with is about 10 MPH (you'll feel it though). Sometimes, traffic will be less than 10 so you'll be slipping your clutch a lot, leading to a worn down clutch.
Best way to do traffic is just wait until you get a good couple car lengths in front of you and then vroom vroom.

Yes, you can skip gears. I accidentally shifted from 2nd to 5th and it kept on trucking, it just won't be responsive to acceleration without downshifting.

Watch basic tutorials on youtube, then test drive one.
Remember:
To accelerate be in a low gear
To keep at high speeds be in a high gear
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.