[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

If I may offer. The people saying that turbocharging is a replacement

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 4

File: HeavyTea.jpg (74KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
HeavyTea.jpg
74KB, 900x900px
If I may offer.

The people saying that turbocharging is a replacement for displacement have no idea what they're talking about. Turbocharging will offer greater power in the high-end, but only in the high end. With a large displacement V8, your peak torque comes in low, at say 2400 RPM leaving a wider powerband.

You may have similar torque and power numbers, but down low when the turbo is at rest and you make no power, and your power also comes in late because your turbo has to spool when the throttle is opened. You can compensate for that by making more high-end power. That will bring up you peak power, but your powerband will still be narrow.

While I'm sure you noticed I may be a bit biased to displacement over turbocharging my point is this: The two will never behave the same. So there is, in fact, no replacement for displacement.
>>
Here's my dyno sheet for my car a 3L twin turbo.
Approaching peak torque at about 3500rpm and peak horsepower at 5000rpm
(this is an AWD so most of you will be wondering what the lines are)

By comparison an LS1 5.7L I used to have peak torque at about 4500-5000rpm and peak hp at around 6500rpm.

Just as a side by side, the 3L TT is a much better drivers car for putting down power when I need it as it comes on a lot sooner, this is all fairly old school and optimised for cost/driveability too- there's nothing particularly fancy about the setup. Modern twin scroll turbos are a much better solution as they produce torque and hp a lot better in the lower rpm range.
>>
File: 2013dyno.jpg (83KB, 816x612px) Image search: [Google]
2013dyno.jpg
83KB, 816x612px
>>16242158
>>
what if you turbocharged a big displacement motor perchance? for example, a turbocharged 6.0l chevy V8?
>>
File: turbovssuper.png (747KB, 854x475px) Image search: [Google]
turbovssuper.png
747KB, 854x475px
>>16242117
>Turbocharging will offer greater power in the high-end, but only in the high end
and you say other people have no idea what they are talking about
stop posting kid, seriously

pic related, turbo chebby v8 vs sueprcharged chebby v8
turbo offers superior power at ALL rpms

besides, top end power is only power that matters. no one races around at 2400rpm, even lgbt dragfags have 3000+ stalls...
>>
>>16242117

Peak torque at 2400 in a V8? What do you have, a 305 with a peanut cam and log headers? Peak torque is down that low because the cunt can't breath mate. Or you've CAT 3208B that someone put an LS1 sticker on top of that tricked you.

Fuck me.
>>
File: 1478474132976.gif (3MB, 720x405px) Image search: [Google]
1478474132976.gif
3MB, 720x405px
>wanting to have a fuck ton of power at lower engine speeds

enjoy spinning and degrading your tires at every corner exit, pleb
>>
>>16242117
man you got rekt in the other thread so you made your own

its still painfully obvious you dont know anything
>>
>>16242117
>Turbocharging will offer greater power in the high-end, but only in the high end.
This is not true with modern smaller turbo's. Also, twinscrolls and VGT's have made turbo powerbands bigger and bigger. Case in point, the ND Miata vs. 124 Spider:
>ND Miata: 155hp@6000RPM and 148ftlbs@4600RPM
>124 Spider: 160hp@5500RPM and 184 ftlbs@2500RPM
The definition of powerband is as follows: the difference in RPM between peak power and peak torque. By that measure, the Mazda n/a engine has a powerband of 1400RPM, and the Fiat a powerband of 3000RPM - twice as big. Notice that despite it's lack of displacement, it makes peak torque all the way down at 2500RPm, and it makes significantly more torque, unlike your claim.

Spool times nowadays are incredibly decreased by fancy turbo geometry, variable geometry, VVT and VVL, ECU control, twincharging, you name it. Volvo even uses compressed air. You can easily keep the boost up by just staying in that fat wide powerband.

I'll agree with you though, there is no replacement for displacement. Boost (and other power adders) are an addition, not a replacement. You just have to pick the on you want. Nowadays, you can make enough power to blow any tire off, using an engine combination you like, whether it's nitrous, n/a, turbo or supercharging.

>>16242186
Boosting high displacement is the best of both worlds.

>>16242309
>Ignorant tripfags
There's this thing called a throttle. It reduces maximum power to the amount of power you want (and can use).
>>
>>16242223
>top end power is only power that matters.
Its important for top end speed, but when you're coming off throttle into a corner, rpms drop down and then banging on throttle out of the corner that usable torque and horsepower bands become a lot more important to your lap times. Particularly the mid range which will launch you into the higher rpm's quicker, thus into your top end.
Course if you just do drift or drag its all about the top end for those guys, but track racing is what I'm a bit more familiar with.

>>16242309
>What is throttle control for $100 shitbird?
>>
None of the technicalities matter. Only quarter mile times and lap times. It doesn't fucking matter if you have a methedrined squirrel in a cage under the hood. What matters is how much power that squirrel puts to the wheels and how.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.