[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why the fuck don't they make cars like they used to? >1900's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 8

File: wreck.jpg (80KB, 411x353px) Image search: [Google]
wreck.jpg
80KB, 411x353px
Why the fuck don't they make cars like they used to?

>1900's
>cars can survive anything you throw at them
>impacts barely make a dent in the hood
>easier to repair, with cheap spare parts

>2000's
>every little bump in the road causes damage
>even small collisions lead to pic related
>only professional mechanics are allowed to repair them

Is this the result of planned obsolescence and unchecked capitalism? Are there really no new cars that are built to last?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZ99WqXvVvM
>>
New cars last way longer in terms of engines and transmissions. And while the old bodies could survive more, your body couldn't. Cars are made to disintegrate in an accident to keep the passengers alive.
>>
You were young and didn't know any better back then to observe and listen to others having gone through fender benders.

The priority has correctly shifted from safety of the car to safety of the driver.
>>
>>16236831
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtxd27jlZ_g
>>
>implying it's economical to let your customers die in crashes when most of them still owe money to everybody
>>
>>16236831
>crumple zones
>>
File: bond.jpg (27KB, 317x351px) Image search: [Google]
bond.jpg
27KB, 317x351px
>>16236878
>The priority has correctly shifted from safety of the car to safety of the driver.
Why is that necessarily correct?

If you crash, it's your fault, not the car's fault. Wouldn't it be better to put the car back on the road, than to put bad drivers back into society?
>>
File: muhclassicstrength.jpg (221KB, 1315x480px) Image search: [Google]
muhclassicstrength.jpg
221KB, 1315x480px
>>16236831
>impacts barely make a dent in the hood
>cars can survive anything you throw at them
>>
>>16236946
>being this edgy

by the way, cars sometimes have problems you know :^)
>>
>>16236946
>Why is that necessarily correct
because it's a lot easier to sell a surviving person a car, than sell a surviving car a person.

also it's human nature to want to not die, anything else is a big malfunction.
>>
>>16236831
New cars have bad bumper designs and hard to work on.
>>
>Allowed to
>he bought a new car with warranty

Buy a shitbox. Insurance replaces it with a slightly cheaper shitbox when that happens. Insurance also replaces old cars because they get frame damage too.

And here's a tip: don't crash
>>
It's cheaper and more economical to make "disposable products" these days, especially things like cell phones and cars that get replaced every 4 years. If they built a car to last you'd end up paying 60k+ for a 100hp FWD econobox which I'm sure wouldn't sell. If you want something almost indestructible and built to last a couple million miles, buy a semi tractor.
>>
>>16236843

What kind of genetic damage must you be a victim of for this to appeal to someone?
>>
>>16237002
On the other hand, every now and then a company designs an exceptional vehicle to "the last one you'll ever own" standards and sells it at a loss, especially in enthusiast-dominated market segments like motorcycles and sportscar.

The performance/weight/reliability (pick two) dilemma goes out the window for a split second

And then flies back into the window and stays there for decades until the company thinks its image is in danger again, with the help of faggots who buy new toys before their old ones can brake and sticks in the mud who swear their heavy, but bulletproof iron bricks are good enough.
>>
>>16237023
>brake
fug
>>
>>16236831
Probably that, but also consider this:
>Hood does not dent
>High velocity impact
>Hood connection breaks and hood itself flies back into car
>Entire front and possible back row decapitated by gigantic sheet of metal

Most hoods are now designed to crumple along with the engine block to ensure that in a head-on collision you basically have a gigantic block of steel that slows the car and acts as an armor plate to protect the passengers. Most automobile deaths are caused by either
a) shitty cars with airbags that don't deploy correctly or other technical faults, not features
b) someone wasn't wearing their seatbelt
c)The car collided in such a way that damage couldn't be blocked by the car's design (folding around trees, objects through windows, etc)

Yeah, you pay more, but in theory insurance should cover damage from accidents, and you'll stay alive long enough to actually collect.
>>
>>16236946
Except more often than not fatalities in crashes are suffered by the victim, not the aggressor in a crash. It's never the drunk guy who dies in an accident, it's always the family in the sedan he T-bones while he's running a red light.
>>
>>16236946
>If you crash, it's your fault, not the car's fault.
Whose fault is it when you're driving along one day with your wife and kids and out of nowhere bubba the drunk slams into you with his big lifted diesel truck? If you have a car that that was designed primarily with chassis rigidity and strength at the cost of passenger safety, it would be 100% your fault when your entire family is killed because of your dumbass choice to drive a car like that
>>
>>16236831
They discovered inertia, and people didn't want to die in a low-speed collision.
>>
File: 1348347168180.jpg (49KB, 393x404px) Image search: [Google]
1348347168180.jpg
49KB, 393x404px
>>16237052
>>16237073
>it's always the family in the sedan he T-bones
>Whose fault is it when you're driving along one day with your wife and kids

The open road is a dangerous place. If you're worried about keeping your family safe, they shouldn't be riding in a car in the first place. Same reason you don't send your wife into war.
>>
>>16237130
>2016
>not shipping your family to their destination via first class air mail
>>
>>16237130
>the open road is a dangerous place
>If you're worried about keeping your family safe, they shouldn't be riding in a car in the first place
Retard logic
>the open road is a dangerous place
>which is why I bought a very safe car with modern safety technology which will do a great job protecting them in the event of a crash
Basic knowledge
>>
File: IMG_2624.jpg (414KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2624.jpg
414KB, 1600x1200px
>>16237052
This. Happened exactly like this to my family (he wasn't drunk but still ran a light).

Pic related. They all survived. Even though the car was totalled, it did what it was supposed to do. Have the front absorb the impact. Although the sudden stop from 50 mph caused the seatbelt to puncture my daughter's small intestine requiring surgery.
>>
>Crash Test 1959 Chevrolet Bel Air VS. 2009 Chevrolet Malibu

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joMK1WZjP7g

quite sad that they destroyed a beautiful Bel Air but you get the point
>>
>>16236866
well fuck the passengers. fucking pussies.
bad drivers should DIE
this keeps genetically good drivers on the road
>>
File: 1372637208241.png (179KB, 373x327px) Image search: [Google]
1372637208241.png
179KB, 373x327px
>>16236946
>>16237205
>>
>>16237205
man i sure do home some sleepy semi driver runs a red light and t bones you.

fucking moron
>>
File: syd_consider_the_following.jpg (13KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
syd_consider_the_following.jpg
13KB, 200x200px
>>16237246
Natural selection works on average, though. Sure, a few good drivers may get hurt, but it'll hurt bad drivers more in general. With time, bad drivers will simply stop driving altogether.
>>
Have you ever seen an old crash test vs. a new crash test?

Yeah impacts might barely make a dent in the hood but if you hit another car head on instead of the hood crumpling it goes flying into the car and decapitates the driver. But at least the hood didn't bend right??
>>
>>16237205
I can't wait until I'm 13 and as cool as you
>>
Is it edgy because i am not a pussy?
>>
>>16236866
/thread
>>
>>16236922
Sucks they trashed a classic like that but it was interesting to see the differences.
> comments disabled
Top kek, bet there was a ton of boomer butthurt when they first posted it.
>>
>>16237164
>seatbelt to puncture my daughter's small intestine requiring surgery.

Oh fug. Glad she and your family are ok.
>>
>>16237313
>I can txt and drive at the same time, I'm not an idiot.
>I can handle my alcohol better than most people, I'll be fine to drive after two forties.
>I don't wear a seatbelt because I want to be thrown clear of the wreckage if I have an accident.
>Airbags kill more people than they save.
>There shouldn't be any speed limits on the highway because once you get above 60 all collisions are fatal anyway.
>Gross vehicle mass is more of a guide than a hard limit.
>Safety Cells are a jewish trick.
>I don't need a helmet when I ride a motorbike, I have better reflexes so I'll be able to dodge any potential crashes.

All things said by you at some point during your short life.
>>
>>16237448
Not even close.
I just like to live on edge
>>
>>16237448
Speed limits are bullshit though

Given a population of white people with average IQs or better, none of whom are over the age of 50 or in any way female, traffic flows much more freely and safely when they don't panic every time they see a grumpy looking cop and happen to be in a red car.
>>
File: Lady_Gaga_Edge_Of_Glory-3.jpg (114KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
Lady_Gaga_Edge_Of_Glory-3.jpg
114KB, 600x600px
>>16237586
>>
>>16237612
White people are the worst drivers on this planet though.
>>
>>16238195
Nigger
>>
>>16236922
>>16237176
>>16237423
If I remember correctly those Bel Airs were built on an X frame which was know for being terrible at surviving collisions compared to conventional frames
>>
>>16238195
You misspelled gooks and curries, anon.
>>
>>16237253
If that was true then it would have already happened.
>>
>>16237612
>Given a population of white people with average IQs or better
But it's america. The average IQ is about 50.

> None over 50
America's full of old people.

> Female
Fuck off virt.

Really, your argument is more 'get the cops off the roads'.
Well, in civilised countries, the police don't have to hang around on the roadside to catch speeders to pay their wages.
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.