[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Amy redeeming qualities to owning a 90s decked out sedan like

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 7

File: 1993_Cadillac_Sedan_Deville_(02).jpg (150KB, 1024x685px) Image search: [Google]
1993_Cadillac_Sedan_Deville_(02).jpg
150KB, 1024x685px
Amy redeeming qualities to owning a 90s decked out sedan like pic related? A buddy has one he wants to sell me for $800. Leather, moonroof, everything.
>>
American cars of the 80's and 90's tend to be comfy as fuck, look classic, and actually have torque compared to japanese and the vast majority of german cars at the time. Parts are easy to find and they don't break down much anyway. Pretty much can't lose with any of these cars
>>
>>16236784
Prob this. I learned to drive on my parents early 80s Olds Eighty Eight & I must say there's nothing like driving cars like that. Although those were true land yachts.
>>
>>16236764
If it looks as clean as the pic you posted yes, but for $800 I'm guessing it looks more like something Ricky from the trailer park boys would drive
>>
File: Fotor_148040684149658.jpg (470KB, 1650x2200px) Image search: [Google]
Fotor_148040684149658.jpg
470KB, 1650x2200px
>>16237154
Nope. Its fresh & clean, one owner, low miles (for the year).
>>
I love old luxury,
car guys hate em,
normies hate em,

I just want to be comfy.
>>
>>16237180
buy
>>
File: S0648631.png (901KB, 1521x1140px) Image search: [Google]
S0648631.png
901KB, 1521x1140px
>>16236764
I've got a 93 and it's a delight. Great torque from the 4.9 v8. Don't see many that look like this anymore.

One of the last cars that had door handles that actually looked like handles.
>>
>>16237646
Yep. '93 is the year he's selling. Its a creampuff.
>>
File: S0528544s.jpg (1MB, 2015x1287px) Image search: [Google]
S0528544s.jpg
1MB, 2015x1287px
>>16237922
Things to look out for:

The air shocks in the rear have probably popped if they're original. If you don't replace them with the right Monroes, the trunk will sag when loaded down.

Drive the engine around long enough to warm up the engine, about 20 minutes. Pull over and pop the hood. If the coolant reservoir on the left side is bubbling, walk away. It's a blown headgasket. If the coolant reservoir is empty, walk away. If the heater doesn't blow hot, walk away.

You can pull OBD1 codes straight from the ECM and BCM, To retrieve the codes, Turn the ignition on. Press both OFF and WARMER on the climate control at the same time until the segment check displays. The codes will now be displayed.

Record the codes with your phone because if there are a lot they'll flash by fast. Watch the vid you take and look them up. Google will tell you what they mean. They won't tell you everything that could be wrong, but it can't hurt to know.
>>
>>16237961
>If the heater doesn't blow hot, walk away

Oh shit. He did mention this. That bad??
>>
File: DSCF5074.jpg (438KB, 1152x864px) Image search: [Google]
DSCF5074.jpg
438KB, 1152x864px
>>16238022
It means exhaust gasses have built up in the coolant system and filled the heater core with exhaust instead of coolant. Blown headgasket.

The only other possibility is that the servomoter arm for the blend door of the HVAC unit popped off its little arm. If that happened while the car was in AC mode, it can't close the blend door when it wants to go into heat mode. The easiest way to test this is to unscrew the few screws in the glove compartment and pull the compartment out. The blend door is right behind there. If the arm is unattached, maybe it got popped off and you can just pop it back on and test to see if the vents blow hot

if they don't, and the blend door works... your heater core is full of exhaust. Check to notice if you hear any gurgling of coolant after the car has run for a while. Check the rad when the engine is cool and make sure it's full up with coolant. If it's empty in any way, probably headgasket, or at least a leak.

Either way, I would not buy it until the heat blows hot. There's really only those two things that can cause that problem in this car. Headgasket leak filling the heater core with exhaust, or the blend door not working for whatever reason.
Good luck.
>>
File: 20160308_104000.jpg (3MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20160308_104000.jpg
3MB, 5312x2988px
>>16238022
Also be aware that any headgasket repair for these 4.9 engines is very expensive. Even if the block is fine and you can re-use almost anything, you must use new headbolts and re-tap/helicoil every hole's thread. The block is aluminum, and the old threads cannot take the 90fp spec of torque when the heads are tightened down. The threads will pull and the heads won't seal. Easily thousands of dollars of repair unless you already have all the tools and the know-how to helicoil the block. The tools for that tap alone cost hundreds and are hard to find for that engine because of its age.

Basically, if the HG is blown, the car is worth only scrap value. Offer 50 bucks and drive it for fun around town for a while until so much white smoke is pouring out the exhaust that the cops pull you over... or spend several grand dropping a new engine in or repairing it.
>>
>fwd
>"""""""high tech""""""" 4.9

These were the cars that helped put Cadillac in he shitter for so long
>>
>>16238226
no that was the Northstar
4.9 was solid
>>
>>16236764
Get a late 90s early 00s big body Buick, the lesabre or park avenue. They can be had with plenty of options, they may not be quite as luxo as a caddy, but you'll save a mint in repairs if shut does break. Had a customer put a half million miles on a lesabre.
>>
>>16238174
>>16238204
Thanks, anon. Will def check this out.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.