[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

hey aut/o/, (somewhat) new guy here, i want to get more into

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: 9WRn6UY.jpg (561KB, 3888x2592px) Image search: [Google]
9WRn6UY.jpg
561KB, 3888x2592px
hey aut/o/, (somewhat) new guy here, i want to get more into cars and eventually get a replacement for my 1999 malibu daily driver that's something fun i can work on. so i'm here to ask you guys where you learned your car terminology, techniques, etc. My uncle's a mechanic but we rarely have time to hang out and i'm sure he doesn't want to bother talking about his work while he's off the clock. Also I'm in college, so I might look around and see if there's any auto beginner classes I can take. none of my current friends are into cars and I highly doubt I'd be able to make any gearhead friends if I don't have anything special myself.

i've learned some things i've picked up from watching shows like initial d, playing some games, and attempting to work on my own car, but the specifics still look foreign to me. (i.e. words like twin-cam, exhaust headers, intake manifolds, high compression pistons, coilovers, etc.)

any info helps, i'd love to hear your stories. thnx guise
>>
Miata.

Put supercharger.
>>
>>16226791
i like miatas, but I don't think it'd be reasonable to have a 2 seater car right now. while it'd be nice to never have to drive my friends around again, I need the space.

I really like 240s. I know they're hard to come by (in good condition), but there's just something about them I can't get over. If miatas had 2 more backseats they'd be perfect.
>>
>>16226785
Start by learning about your own car. Look up specifics. Learn your engine transmission suspension. Then if something goes wrong you can fix it.

You drive one of the most unreliable cars on planet earth. If it hasn't given you problems now it will.
>>
>>16226855

>If miatas had 2 more backseats they'd be perfect

Get an RX-8 :^)
>>
>>16226904
>telling a beginner to get a rotary
Decent platform but no
>>
>>16226868
Lol, I have only had to tow it to a shop twice in the 2 years I've had it, but yeah, it was my first car I paid 2400 for and it's a ticking time bomb.

I have replaced the battery and fixed the rear window motor myself, but other than that I've just taken it to shops for repair because I can't afford to be out of a car for a week waiting for parts. I'm 19 btw.
>>16226904
I LOVE the rx-7, but yeah I've read plenty about rotary engines to know it's probably a bad idea at the moment.
>>
find a car that interests you, and learn everything you can about it. go to the fourms and find out everything you can. best mods, things that break, etc. google anything you don't understand. if you know everything about one car, you know a lot about a lot of them.
>>
>>16226969
My first car was an RX7. I learned a lot and drove it for 7 years.
That being said.
>>16226855
>i really like 240s
OP is a scumbag in the making
>>
>>16227909
i just like how they look, sorry lol.

I like miatas, supras, and MR2s as well.
>>
>>16228357
I wouldn't jump into a 240 just yet, my first car was a mitsubishi eclipse and while it has never left me stranded everything in it has broken at least once. That's where I started, changing the spark plugs, wires distributor and then getting into timing, alternators. starters and batteries. Before I knew it I could map out whole starting and ignition systems and shit, which honestly if I didn't know how I would be fucked with a 240. So start with what you have and learn it inside and out, next car you can just transfer your knowledge cause all cars are pretty similar.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.