[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it true that a smaller engine breaks more easily than a bigger

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_0979.jpg (511KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0979.jpg
511KB, 1600x1200px
Is it true that a smaller engine breaks more easily than a bigger one?

Let's say I have a motorcycle with 400cc and 80k miles, how would this be compared to a motorcycle with 1200cc and the same amount of miles when it comes to engine usage?
>>
>>16221866
not really its just that on average the smaller engine will have to operate at a higher rpm and level of friction just the move the vehicle even at normal speed

since you only referred to displacement I can offer no further tid bits
>>
>>16221895
Só operating at a higher rate and friction would mean that the engine suffers more and therefore is worse than a high CC engine?
>>
File: image.jpg (44KB, 360x329px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
44KB, 360x329px
No there to many other factors at work.
>>
>>16221903
If you compare two engines that are identically built, ran the same way but scaled differently then yes; the bigger, less stessed engine should in theory be more reliable
>>
>>16221866

Are you comparing strictly motorcycle engines or are you comparing motorcycle engines against traditional car engines?

Motorcycle engines are significantly smaller which works to their advantage. I am sure you have heard of the whole reciprocating mass theory which is why they can rev so high without problems. The range of motion on the piston is just so short and efficient that these issues don't really scale the same way as they do in engine cars.

But even between motorcycle engines, you can look at something like Suzuki's inline four 600cc/750cc/1000cc versus Honda's flat six which is hailed as one of the most reliable engines of all time and you'll see that there really is no difference. There aren't real world examples because sport bikes get crashed so much more frequently than the Goldwing which is what the flat six is used in, so it's kind of impossible to compare the two. You can find thousands of examples of GSXRs with 150k+ miles on them. Like anything else, mechanically they are no different. They need oil and valve adjustments. They'll go until you have no valve clearance left
>>
>>16221866
Yes

A bigger engine is bigger in size, and has more parts on it. So there's bigger chance of it going wrong.
>>
There are a lot of other factors, but kinda:

Water cooled engines > Oil cooled > Air cooled
Low compression > Higher compression > Turbo
Larger > smaller
Japanese > German > American > British > Italian

I personally know of a couple of people with over 300K miles on their Gold Wings. My Guzzi is pretty much bulletproof (drivetrain wise). My wife's 400 Bandit always sounded like it was about to grenade. Then again, a couple of years ago I put over 8000 interstate miles on my DR650 in 2 months.

[shields up]
>>
File: Cobra GT 80-6 (1).jpg (87KB, 600x432px) Image search: [Google]
Cobra GT 80-6 (1).jpg
87KB, 600x432px
>>16221903
like how a 50 cc scooter as to rev high just to get moving
where as a car with the typical 1000 or 2000 cc engine can get moving at 1500 rpm
and they peak torque at 3300 with a shitty sub 6k red line
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.