[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /o I'm planning to buy a diesel mini-engine so I can

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_0765.jpg (129KB, 1000x939px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0765.jpg
129KB, 1000x939px
Hey /o I'm planning to buy a diesel mini-engine so I can prove that my biodiesel works in my college proyect, so I would appreciate if you can comment what steps should I take. (Btw, if you are experienced in this topic, please put some pros and cons of biofuel)
>>
File: IMG_0766.png (563KB, 1242x2208px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0766.png
563KB, 1242x2208px
This are like it's specifications
>>
>>16215388
Get more info.

If it has electronic injection, common rail or variable injection timing it won't like the biodiesel.

I'll be surprised if it starts at all.

Cummins party's guy here btw. Feel free to ask
>>
>>16215383
You would be way better off finding a small diesel excavator engine or bobcat engine out of a junkyard.

You can even convert it into a generator when you're done.
>>
I wouldn't go and buy a new engine just to test biodiesel on. Goto the junk yard/CL and find a used engine. Also when you make your bio diesel don't forget to fry the fuel. Injection pumps don't handle water well. Good luck.
>>
>>16215383
>So I can prove that my biodiesel works in my college.
Thats not much of a way to test anything. A diesel will run even on used, unfiltered vegetable or motor oil. For a good while at least.
>>
>>16215413
Those are watercooled and rewuire heavy equipment to lift.

This is just some air cooled single cylinder ching chog thing only slightly larger than what you'd find on a lawn mower.
>>
>>16215936
They might be water cooled but they are not heavy at all.

Look up a yanmar 1gm or 1ym for example

Also engines out of water pumps and generators are air cooled.
>>
File: images (39).jpg (32KB, 443x332px) Image search: [Google]
images (39).jpg
32KB, 443x332px
If you're an ausfag, southern cross used to make hand crank start diesel singles for water pumps and small gensets. Most old farms will have one around and they'll literally last a century.
>>
The biofuel must be heated as the viscosity is too high for a direct injection pump such as the one on this engine. Fifty to sixty degrees will work well but be aware that once the dfo is at this temperature it will be at flashpoint and will be giving off flammable vapour. Treat the fuel system from the tank and back as if it were a petrol fuel system.

Start the engine on dfo and always shut the engine down on dfo. Leaving biofuel to cool in the plunger and high pressure injection lines allows it to gel and form varnish in these tight tolerance parts.

Your drama will be with the 12v output of them onboard charging unit. It is only 3 amps and this is nowhere near sufficient for the fuel heater, let alone the fuel heater and start battery charging. You will have to mount an alternator of some sort.

This will be beneficial for the engine anyway is it needs enough load to get the piston crown and combustion chamber up to working temperature. Idling the Diesel engine and especially one with a comparatively high compression ratio for direct injection results in liquid dfo washing down the cylinder bore through the gaps in the rings by poor combustion. The fuel washes away the lubricating oil causing wear and any biofuel able to enter the crankcase will cool, gel and congeal in the lube oil.

So if you were to mount the engine with a small tank of dfo and another tank of biofuel with a selection valve feeding a 12v fuel heater inline with an electric fuel pump for carb pressure and have the engine drive a GM one-wire alternator with an internal regulator and a decent lead acid battery as a load, I think it would work quite well.

Good luck, have fun.
>>
>>16217162
God damn anon.

You never cease to amaze me
>>
>>16216210
Yeah mate, they're a fair bit smaller than the stuff you find in mini excavators and bobcats. But you're on the right track.
Literally any small diesel gen set, portable fire fighting pump or air compressor (although working compressors get a little exy) would be suited.
>>
>>16217162
He wants to run the engine on biodiesel not wvo. So no need to heat the fuel up.
>>
>>16218048

The kinematic viscosity of the dfo most likely available to him can be up to 24mm2/sec. Kin visc of B100 FAME biofuel measured to DIN standard is up to 6mm2/sec and so will require extra lubricating agents added. For plant based biofuel like that from sugar and maize can be up to 40mm2/sec and will require the heating listed above to lower viscosity to working level.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.