[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What were some of your previous misconceptions about cars before

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 8

What were some of your previous misconceptions about cars before you actually knew anything about cars?

Here's mine:

>all bmw and mercedes are luxurious
>all jap brands are reliable
>HP is all that matters (with no consideration for weight)
>turbo is better than NA
>most tuners run NOS
>the gtr is faster than corvette
>vipers are death traps
>stance make cars handle better
>nascar takes no skill
>miatas are gay (still on the fence about that one)
>f1 was superior to rally cross

oh to be 12 again..
>>
>>16204763
>all cars are automatic
>to go reverse you have to push the brake longer than normal
>theres only one type of fuel but with different quality
>car crashes wont like disable the car just dent it
All those damn vidya games
>>
Turbo is better than NA, depending on the circumstances. The reverse is also true. SC is generally better than NA but comes with more drawbacks that equalize it with the other two.

Sneks are deathtraps by modern standards.

>Miatas are gay
The Miata isn't gay. The Miata driver/owner however likes cock 98% of the time. The other 2% are lesbians.
>>
>>16204763
When I was younger I thought all American cars were RWD, all German cars were AWD, and all jap cars were FWD
>>
>>16204841
I also thought 4x4 meant you were on a 4x4 high/wide suspension.
>>
>>16204824
That's funny, I always thought all cars were manual and fwd was a really recent invention and only in really high tech cars
>>
>>16204824
>to go reverse you have to push the brake longer than normal
thought this as well.
electric cars should be this way
>>
File: 1440026823677.png (11KB, 300x188px) Image search: [Google]
1440026823677.png
11KB, 300x188px
>every car that had leather was super luxury
>red logo = fast
>my parents were the best drivers ever
>more exhaust pipes = more speed
>>
>>16204763
>inline engines are obsolete
>turbo increases power and efficiency without increasing fuel consumption
>>
>>16204763
Jesus. How old are you now? 16?
>>
File: IMG_8812.png (868KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8812.png
868KB, 640x1136px
>>16204763

Nice subtle bait
>>
>>16204763
When i was young i thought all cars were RWD, when i found out that they weren't i thought the rear wheels on FWD were being lazy.
>>
>>4WD = four wheels on ground
>>AWD = more than 4 wheels on ground
>>
>>16206040
laziness is often the highest form of efficiency
>>
Not a misconception, but I didn't learn how a combustion engine worked until I was 21.

To be honest that shit is still insane to me, the amount of engineering that goes into those things.
>>
>>16204763
When I was a kid I used to think that you couldn't just go and change the more intimate internal workings of a vehicle. I understood superficial things like body mods/kits, air intakes, wheels and tires, etc could be swapped out and customized, but I thought that the drivetrain was built in such a way that it had to be exactly as the manufacturer designed it in order to work. The idea of changing out the engine or putting a new axle underneath seemed like absolute madness, like you would have to be a full blown engineer in order to take on such a project and make it work. I realize now how dumb I was.
>>
>>16204763
>all trucks are manual
>turbocharger and supercharger are the same
>more cylinders in an engine means the engine will last longer
>car wax and car polish are the same
>>
Amateurs don't use nitrous oxide.
>>
>>16206222
Suck squish bang blow, my friend.
>>
>>16204763

8/10 your shitposting is getting better still needs work
>>
>i thought turbos sucked air into the engine.
>I never realized the great variety of suspension styles and set ups. Now that I know what most of their purposes are I'm more attentive and appreciative of cars with great suspension setups. Mostly offroading vehicles. Don't care much for lowered vehicles.
>I thought that a newer car would always be a better buy then a used car because my mom told me so. Little did I know that most cars will either deprectiate like an anvil falling in the ocean, fall apart or become a money pit due to unreliability and poor build quality. This advice did help me avoid buying a used Audi which would have been a victim of all 3 of these problems.
>>
>>16204876
How would you brake then?

>>16204893
This haha, except I realized my mother cant drive at all and my father is faster than I'll ever be. Old man's getting up there but he still hoons more than I do
>>
>>16204763
>>turbo is better than NA
it is. deal with it you muhfeelsfaggot

as above. especially in the hands of the average driver.

>f1 was superior to rally cross
yes, it is superior to driving around a grass paddock in a 100hp stripped out fwd econobox.
>>
>>16206948
back to /v/ please
>>
File: 1468186214647.jpg (8KB, 273x185px) Image search: [Google]
1468186214647.jpg
8KB, 273x185px
>ferraris are the fastest and most expensive cars out there
>the engine type badge meant how much petrol you could put into your car (3.2 liter, 1.4 liters etc)
>anybody who owned a mercedes was rich (even the ones with a 20 year old base model)
>If you buy a car you have to keep it for the rest of your life, or till it breaks down, then you have to buy a new one
>the different color pumps at the gas-station were different petrol brands
>german cars are reliable
>>
>>16204824

>to go reverse you have to push the brake longer than norma

lol, same here. I used to think that one pedal was for going forward and the other for going backwards, and if you wanted to brake you had to push the backwards pedal just enough so you come to a halt, right before you start going backwards again

yeah I was pretty retarded
>>
File: Not_this_Shit_again.jpg (69KB, 604x340px) Image search: [Google]
Not_this_Shit_again.jpg
69KB, 604x340px
>>16204763
>itt bait
>>
File: tips more than a hilux.jpg (21KB, 350x450px) Image search: [Google]
tips more than a hilux.jpg
21KB, 350x450px
>>16207093
>reverse is brake

The first thing I learned to drive was a zany forklift. Reverse was brake.
>>
I though 16v on the back of a car meant 16 volts. I didn't know why they would put such irrelevant information on the back of the car. I've learned.
>>
my cats breath smells like cat food
>>
>classic american muscles are superior to all cars

my childhood was a dark time.
>>
>>16204860
are you the 1940s?
>>
>>16208914
>I thought that Ford Mustang and any Ferrari are the same cars, they handle the same, same horse power etc.
My childhood was darker than medival times
>>
Need For Speed Underground taught me that NOS is a very good idea.
>>
>>16204763
>all jap brands are reliable
Thats true though
>>
>>16209012
Inb4 some retard who doesn't know how to look after their vehicle chimes in and tries to refute this.
>>
>>16209040
Literally this. I even thought about getting an Italian car since I became better at maintenance.

But rotaries still suck desu
>>
>>16204893
>more exhaust pipes = more speed

this was me lol
when I was 4 or 5 someone on my road had a Dodge Caravan that had two exhaust pipes
I thought it would be a super fast car
>>
>>16204763
I used to think that RPM stood for "rotations per minute" and counted the number of times the tires turned per minute.
>>
When I was like 5 I thought that you had to constantly steer side to side in order to stay in a straight line
>>
>>16204763
>NOS will refuel if you keep driving
>>
>>16211005
my old misaligned wj with steering play for days would like a word with you
>>
File: 1479777286399.jpg (42KB, 325x340px) Image search: [Google]
1479777286399.jpg
42KB, 325x340px
>>16206222
lol now look up how a jet engine works if you think your ready...
>>
>turbo is just some mystical fast thing, kinda like NOS
>didn't understand why so many people had BMWs and mercedes then I realized they make shit low price versions of their cars, most companies do
>didn't know anything about the miata, thought it was just a car for gays, no idea about it's fame as a cheap driver's car
>had no concept of what speed is good or not, didn't understand the limits of cars and thought some did like 400mph
>>
>>16210981
>hit 8k
>traveling at well over 600mph

I NEED THIS
>>
bov was because of nos. thanks nfsu2.
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.