[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/o/, I wanna see your rally cars. What competitions have you

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 6

File: image.gif (2MB, 400x225px) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
2MB, 400x225px
/o/, I wanna see your rally cars.

What competitions have you competed in?
What specs are your car built to?
How much did you spend?
What are your local rally associations?

I've been doing a lot of research on ARA rallying but I want to see if there's any other rally associations in the U.S.
>>
File: IMG_20160813_1300274745.jpg (3MB, 3149x1772px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160813_1300274745.jpg
3MB, 3149x1772px
>>16203681

Haven't decided if I want to commit to finishing it as a stage car or not.

I've met/became friends with a lot of rally competitors and organizers through SCCA and volunteering a few years at NEFR and a bunch of rallysprints at Team O'Neil, so I know the ins-and-outs of car prep, how events are run, and how to go about competing. Apart from ARA, there's NASA and (what's left of) Rally America next year. There are also a number of Rallysprints hosted around the country through SCCA and other regional groups, as well as all of the events up in Canada.

If you're just starting out, I can't recommend rallycross enough. 90% of the fun at 2% of the price.
>>
>>16205415
what sort of changes do you make to the car ?
replace springs and wheels seems normal
but what about control arms and geometry

extras might be an uprated cooling system and some bash guards to keep the sump and exhaust in good shape
>>
File: 0403161720asb.jpg (1MB, 2988x2959px) Image search: [Google]
0403161720asb.jpg
1MB, 2988x2959px
>>16205415
Nice eclipse. I have a 1ga talon
>>
>>16205459

In the case of my car, it's mostly survive-ability and confidence-inspiring stuff. Skid plates on everything important, and suspension off of a parted-out rally car to raise it 2" give an extra inch of travel up front. Inside is all stripped out with a bucket seat, suede wheel nice and close to me, and a harness to hold me in place. Also run a roof scoop to keep dust out of the cabin. Wheels are 15" and hub-centric so that I can run true gravel rally tires.

The bulk of the setup is how a stage rally car would be set up, minus all of the additional safety/fire suppression/etc. equipment.

>>16205466

Holy shit, that is immaculate.
>>
>>16205520
yup pretty good shape for being a '90 michigan car. Paint is trash close up. Engine needs a rebuild but it was fun while it lasted.
>>
>>16205520
neat
the most cheep series around here allows new springs and dampers
but no upgrade of control arms and engine parts
>>
>>16205415
Yeah from what I've read up on ARA so far there's so many requirements and regs

FIA certified shit is expensive as fuck

But hey I guess I'll try some rx events before I do anything serious. There's one near me in Vermont this December. Do you generally need any higher ground clearance for those events? Seems most of them are in fields so I'd think not.
>>
>>16205628

Events like Wolf Chase are held in fields, so they tend to be the more "dangerous" and rough ones. The ground rises and falls all over the place and the ground is super soft and likes to rut up. The other DSM guy in our region actually cracked his transmission a couple years ago when a boulder unearthed itself at another field event--Cummington Fairgrounds. You'd definitely want at least a skidplate and a second set of wheels+tires.

I'd spend the next couple months just doing a little prepwork on the car and come out for some of the winter or early spring events like Canaan or NED. Very low risk and lots of sliding around. Rochester in April is a regional favorite, and from there it's a lot of ski resort parking lots which are the best all-around venues we get.
>>
>>16205833
Alright, I guess I'll try to avoid field events then.

What region are you in? Seems you know a lot of the events around me
>>
>>16205914

Same region as you're looking into, NER. If you have facebook, you should join the NER Rallycross group. Greatest bunch of people you'll ever meet, and a great place to ask questions
>>
File: we have takeoff.jpg (925KB, 1501x999px) Image search: [Google]
we have takeoff.jpg
925KB, 1501x999px
>>16203681

>What competitions have you competed in?
CRS/NASA - Gorman and Prescott 2016
What specs are your car built to?
Open Light (4WD N/A - Otherwise wide open modifications.)
>>How much did you spend?
Car build was around $17k to get on stage, probably close to $20k with spares and replacements ive accumulated this year. Gorman was about a $1500 weekend, Prescott $2500. (Distance from LA = extra truck rental, gas, hotel)
What are your local rally associations?
Theres CRS, NASA (west), and SWRS/OHPRG. I plan on running the full CRS/NASA calendar next year.
>>
File: IMG_20161030_165828.jpg (3MB, 3024x4032px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161030_165828.jpg
3MB, 3024x4032px
>>16205459
For my car it mostly follows what >>16205520
did. Skid plates, underbody protection, wiring protection etc.... I went and got 50mm inverted bilstein struts fabbed and they are monstrous. Otherwise all the other suspension is stock. Control arms,etc...I want all that to bend/break before the chassis. It's easier to unbolt and replace those than pull a unibody straight.

I didn't need the upgraded brakes but I practically stole them so on they go. Good pads, cheap rotors, high temp fluid.

Otherwise safety equipment and tires. Buy as good seats, harnesses, hans, helmet, cage, etc... that you can afford. Then buy GOOD used tires off the top teams for 1/4 the price after they burn through the top 1/3 of the tread.
>>
>>16206563
How strict are CRS/NASA regulations compared to ARA?
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.