[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Turbofags, I need your help! I can't figure out what's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

File: DSC_0139 - Copy.jpg (3MB, 6016x4000px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0139 - Copy.jpg
3MB, 6016x4000px
Turbofags, I need your help! I can't figure out what's causing my boost spike. Even with my wastegate actuator plumbed straight to my intake the boost spikes up to 8 PSI (actuator pressure is 5) under certain conditions, such as flooring it from a high RPM in a low gear. The only relevant mods I have are a front mount intercooler, replacing my pissy standard side mount.

pic related, it's my car. 1997 R33 Skyline GTST
>>
>>16197521
is it a stock BOV/Boost controller?

pretty sure the factory boost is around 6ish

Just put a aftermarket Controller on there and enjoy the free hp boost
>>
>>16197537
BOV is blocked, no boost controller at all, as I said actuator is plumbed straight to the piping (to the standard wastegate actuator pickup). Standard actuator on this car should be 5 PSI and I definitely see 5 PSI in most cases, like when I ease into boost
>>
>>16197521
Your wastegate has a problem with releasing its pressure, either the spring is worn out, its not big enough to do the job or there's a problem on the vacuum line to the gate actuator which isn't sending the pressure correctly to open.
9/10, its generally those
>>
>>16197543
Why do you want to keep the boost at factory?

The stock Turbos shouldnt grenade unless your running 10-15psi+

Just run like 10psi

>>16197547
What this guy said
>>
>>16197547
Standard turbo, standard actuator, brand new hose to the actuator. So you reckon, given this, that the actuator itself is fucked?
>>
>>16197550
Mate I don't want to run stock boost, I just am for the sake of diagnosing a massive boost spike I've been experiencing. I recently was running 10 PSI with an MBC and was seeing spikes of 15+ PSI.
>>
>>16197553
More than likely, if you've got a new hose to the actuator and its only just started happening, my bet is that its maybe a bit too long. Try shortening it as its practical, or the line itself is something iffy and gets a bulge in it because its not rated for pressure
>>
>>16197558
It hasn't really just started happening, I've noticed a bit of boost spiking since I've had my car. I've been running 10 PSI since I installed my FMIC a few months ago and it was spiking to maybe 13 PSI, but I recently replaced the standard exhaust with a 3" turbo back and noticed it was spiking worse than it had been before. Line to the actuator is as short as it physically can be, it's like 6 inches lol
>>
>>16197569
Check the gate then, they do wear out eventually and its not like R33's are 'new' cars anymore
>>
>>16197583
The gate being the actual wastegate, or the actuator? And check it how?
>>
>>16197557
Oh shit yeah im with you.

Def replace the gate
>>
File: imfine.jpg (65KB, 750x545px) Image search: [Google]
imfine.jpg
65KB, 750x545px
>thinks he has problems
My fucking soarer fuel cuts at 14.5psi
It's hitting 18 now

Just accept your new life of danger
>>
>>16197601
I'd prefer my exhaust wheel not launch itself out onto the road behind me, thank you
>>
>>16197607
Nah bro it'll be fine, the dangerboost is your life now
>>
>>16197589
Both. The actuator you should be able to test by using an air pump or the reverse side of a hand vacuum pump. The gate will depend on your type of turbo. I know nothing of r33 but you want to make sure there is no buildup around the waste gate or cracks.
>>
File: 1479483235969.jpg (217KB, 957x1300px) Image search: [Google]
1479483235969.jpg
217KB, 957x1300px
>>16197601
Mfw Na ls1 making 226rwkw and assloads of torques without any problems and no lag
>>
>>16197615
Well I can tell the actuator is working properly-ish, it holds 5 PSI as it should it just doesn't seem to open fast enough. Don't think a hand pump will tell me anything there. I'd be very surprised if there was any buildup as I put the turbo in less than 10,000 kms ago and it looked fine then, and as I said the issue has been present since I've had the car (bought it with a blown turbo and put a used one in when I got it). And I would have thought any cracks would be increasing flow through the wastegate and reducing boost, not increasing it. Plus, I really, really don't want to pull my downpipe off, I just installed it and it's a real cunt of a thing to do :P

I think I'll just bite the bullet and go with a new aftermarket adjustable actuator, I'll be needing one later down the line when I upgrade my turbo anyway so it's not a waste of money
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.