[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /o/ I was thinking about getting an E46 M3 but I noticed

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: m3.png (702KB, 890x664px) Image search: [Google]
m3.png
702KB, 890x664px
Hey /o/ I was thinking about getting an E46 M3 but I noticed it had an SMG transmission. If I'm correct that is essentially the same thing as tiptronic? Any insight would be much appreciated/
>>
Smg is a manual transmission that automatically puts the clutch in and shifts for you. Though im pretty sure you still have to remove your foot from the gas when youre shifting in the manual mode.
>>
>>16195126
don't. get a manual. there's a reason automatic bmws are cheaper.
>>
>>16195139
>Smg is a manual transmission
"no"
>>
>>16195126
No, it's literally the same 6-speed manual box with an automatically operated clutch.

I prefer the manual, but get whatever you like. Both are supposed to be good.
>>
>>16195355
No, its actually a slightly different unit. It is used in the Z4M without the SMG bullshit as a manual.
>>16195139
No, that makes it shift jerky
>>16195126
No, its like the same thing as a dual clutch, DSG, etc. Its a manual transmission without a clutch.

That said SMGs in the e46 M3 are universally known as complete pieces of shit, break easily, and cost a fuck load to replace. There is a reason that SMG M3s sell for so cheap. Get a manual, don't get an SMG.
>>
>>16195450
>dual clutch has no clutch
you might want to read that again buddy
>>
>>16195126
The SMG is an electro-hydraulic transmission that basically operates the clutch for you and can operate as a manual transmission.

A M3 with an SMG isn't ideal, for the reasons that other people in this thread have stated, but it wouldn't be a deal-breaker for me personally, as it is possible to convert one to a regular manual transmission. Basically, the SMG is just a manual transmission with a bunch of extra crap bolted on.
>>
>>16195734
*pedal, good catch.
>>16195784
>as it is possible to convert one to a regular manual transmission
OP needs to go into this expecting this to be necessary. SMGs are trash.
>>
>>16195126
The transmission itself is 100% the same like the normal shifter

the only difference is, that it is operated by hydraulic actors and not the pedal/stick

It feels like an ethernity to shift and parts for the transmissions are rare.

Would not buy.
>>
>>16195450
I stand corrected, Z4M uses the regular ZF Type H. The M3 both SMG and manual use the Getrag 420G.
>>
>>16195126
Don't buy an E46M, their day has come and gone, and their look isn't timeless.

You will look like somebody wearing last years fashion. It's almost worse than looking like a slob because you care but you are too poor or retarded to get it right.
>>
>>16195126
It's up to your preferences the smg has a lot of clever technology behind it and you don't lose performance (even the m3 csl was smg only) it has launch mode too and you can upload the csl program to the smg to get better shifting like the csl model but as the other anon pointed out if the smg commits seppuku you can easilt convert to a manual transmission same transmission and shit
>>
>>16196176
this. They dont look sharp anymore.
>>
File: s6s420 smg manual.png (386KB, 1411x650px) Image search: [Google]
s6s420 smg manual.png
386KB, 1411x650px
>>16195812
Looked it up on realoem now. Bellhousing and the rear part looks a little different. Might just be wrong pics though.

>>16196176
>>>/fa/
>>
>>16195273
it actually is just the normal manual with the e46 m3 but with all this electronic shit attached

it doesnt work well and breaks a lot

you can convert it back to a stick with some mods
>>
>>16200217
in fact here's exactly how to do it
http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=444126
>>
>>16195812
>It feels like an ethernity to shift
Are you high?
>>
>>16200221
>http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=444126

Holy shit looks like it would just be easier to do a full swap.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.