[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does a check engine light mean I'll automatically fail my

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: fraud.jpg (768KB, 2049x2048px) Image search: [Google]
fraud.jpg
768KB, 2049x2048px
Does a check engine light mean I'll automatically fail my emissions test? I dont see many clear answers about it on google besides a couple people saying that the light itself wont cause it, but anything that would cause it to be on would fail it.

My car is giving a P2138 error code
P2138 throttle/pedal position sensor/switch D/E voltage correlation

I've noticed this while driving myself, but I cant afford to get any repairs and I won't be able to take my car in for months

Will this error automatically fail an emissions test?
>>
>>16192040
Can't give a direct answer, so here's how it went recently for me.

Tester gave ok for everything else but error memory check failed and emission testing was not done. Repair shop used their own tester to check and the emission values were within limits. Had to replace thermostat to clear the code and redo the inspection. There was still another non-p code that was ignored. CEL was never on.

So it depends on whether the inspection will allow any p-codes to be present. My guess is it will bounce, but you probably should just call the inspection shop and ask about it.
>>
Yes you will fail in CA or any other state that relies on monitors for post year 2000 cars
>>
>>16192040
>Does a check engine light mean I'll automatically fail my emissions test? I
Depends on the state, but if it is a 1996 or newer vehicle, you will most assuredly fail.
>>
>>16192040
An inspector isn't legally allowed to tell you it will fail. But on any car that has OBDII and has a MIL or CEL illuminated, yes. You will fail.
You will also fail if the light is not illuminated but certain parameters are still in "not-ready" conditions. For pre 2001 cars, you're allowed to have up to two "not-ready" conditions, 2001 and on, only one "not-ready"

Sorry that may be confusing. But since I wont have my inspectors license for another 4-6 days I figured Id share.
>>
>>16192040
In Colorado cel is automatic fail

I've reset with a scan tool, passed emissions and literally had the cel come on on my way home lel.
>>
>>16192157
What state tho, they're all different you know. For example "inspectors" here are wage cucks with less training than a quick lube employee
>>
>>16192160
did the same thing in VA
>>
>>16192160
Was your car between 96 and 00? That wouldn't work on newer cars in most emissions states anymore because when you clear the CEL you clear all the readiness monitors as well which can take quite a while to set again
>>
Live in PA where emissions are required. Been throwing the a similar code for the throttle position sensor. Passes every time. The only time it failed was when the CEL burned out. A new CEL bulb made it pass.

O2 sensor or anything with emissions will fail you, but there are low mileage exemptions.
>>
>>16192167
While states are different, most of the OBD side is influenced by the EPA and such. Even though a code may be completely unrelated, they see them as "your car is running bad, so its hurting our atmosphere" and thats what they base emissions inspections upon.
Its federally mandated, so even though state and counties may differ, the rules up top are generally always the same.

The only inspections you're technically allowed to give leeway on are safety, and even then it's sketchy.
>>
>>16192160
>>16192208
>>16192217
What heartbreaker said is true. I dont see why they passed you unless they literally didnt hook up the diagnostic tool, or you only had one monitor not ready. You can slide by on not-readies sometimes, but if it's for multiple systems, you can still fail.

>>16192234
This is also news to me. A burned out or inoperable MIL/CEL light will fail, but Ive never heard of passing a car with one on.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.