[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Question about storing my car for the winter: I thinking I should

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_20160815_174814.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160815_174814.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
Question about storing my car for the winter:

I thinking I should put it up on jack stands, disconnect the battery, add fuel stabilizer and maybe a rodent deterant on the inside? Car will be stored on the ground floor of a concrete floored barn with older classic cars. Pic related: my car.
>>
No need for any of that. Just take it for a drive every couple weeks between storms.

Nice car. I have something very similar.
>>
>>16190795
I don't really have room to store it where I live. Also, the area I live in salts very heavily.

What do you have?
>>
>>16190769
invest in a good car cover
>>
>>16190823
I leave my "race car" sitting for months at a time with none of the precautions you mentioned. It starts every time. I do live in a dry climate though, so the rodent repellent and something to deal with mold may make sense for you.

My daily is a Z32 TT, same color.
>>
>>16190769
I store my FD every winter.

All very good ideas you've posted, anon. Except the jack stands, don't fucking do that. You're not taking weight off the suspension, thus preserving it, you're taking the suspension out of the normal resting place - bushings/joints will bind up, that shit leads to corrosion.

The first year I had it I didn't have anything to repel rodents, learned my lesson fucking quickly.

Nothing like opening up the engine bay and seeing rat turds all over the damn place to inform you you fucked up. Cleaning that literal shit out was a pain in the ass.

>>16190795
Do not do this under any circumstance unless you're going on a long drive, just gonna' make moisture/residue buildup unless you get the car up to normal driving temperature. If you're just taking it for a 5-10min drive around the block you're fucking things up.

>>16190833
Also this, but I keep my car covered even when it's in my fucking garage.
>>
>>16190909
My idea with jack stands was the tires. They are shit tires that I would have no problem replacing, but I won't have access to it during the winter. I have to put it in storage and can't get it back until may.
>>
>>16190857
Oh my, that must be sweet. Mine is the NA, and an automatic transmission at that. Love this freaking car.
>>
>>16190918
Depending how cheap you've been with the tires, you should be able to pump them to 50 PSI or so to keep them from getting flat.

Seriously, though, you don't need to take them off.
>>
>>16190928
Yours looks super clean though. There is no bad Z32 in my book.
>>
>>16190945
addendum: obviously, remember not to drive away with them like that.
>>
>>16190945
It's the tires it came with. I looked them up because I didn't recognize the brand, and they are pretty low rated where I could find them listed. I'm just worried they will end up with a flat spot after sitting for so long.

>>16190946
It's pretty nice. Interior has a few scratches, fuel injectors needed replacing, (which I got 75% done with and got too frustrated and just had it towed to pep boys to finish), and then I managed to damage the front bumper cover by driving over parking curb.
>>
>>16190963
Then do what I said, pumping them up like that helps prevent flat spotting.

My tires were fine after being stored for a fucking year while I was working out of state. You're good, just remember to bloat them up a bit.
>>
>>16190974
Thank you for the advice!
>>
>>16191040
No problem, Z32s are pretty cool by the way, even if yours is autotragic.
>>
>rodent repellent
>necessary

Realizing my car has been on stands for the last 2 months with just a battery tender, what should I do.
>>
>>16190823
Chicagoland area?
>>
File: 20151218_155418.jpg (783KB, 1154x1600px) Image search: [Google]
20151218_155418.jpg
783KB, 1154x1600px
>>16191044
Inspect the wiring harness. Rodent repellent would be the second thing I'd go for after a tender. Even when people think they're garages are spotless and impenetrable they can get in there and wreak havoc. It's more of a problem if you drive a car once a month or two though because they mostly get in because it's warm. Unless you have soy wiring insulation/parts it's not super likely to attract them just sitting.
>>
>>16192340
I'll take a look at it tomorrow, its a 1990s BMW so the wiring isn't that exposed (under plastic sheathing and tucked away) but still there. Left the hood open and windows unlocked since I've been working on it regularly. Garage door for what its worth has no gaps and I keep my garage clean, if there'd be rodents they'd go up to the floor above where the tenants live.

What rodent repellent would you recommend?
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.