[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /o/, does anyone here /audi/? Drive an 01 IS300 now, damn

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

File: 2004-Audi-S4_15949.jpg (130KB, 580x409px) Image search: [Google]
2004-Audi-S4_15949.jpg
130KB, 580x409px
Hey /o/, does anyone here /audi/?

Drive an 01 IS300 now, damn reliable car. Quite boring however. Looking for an upgrade, and have considered options like 350z, Boxster, modded GTI, etc. But for some reason, I keep wanting to buy an S4. I've owned a German car before, so I know what it's like to pay out the ass for maintenance every week and a half. But the S4 seems like a whole different beast

>muh V8
>muh 340hp
>muh AWD
>muh 18-24mpg (same as my 3.0 I6 somehow?)
>muh aesthetic

I know these cars have an issue with a timing chain being placed in the back towards the firewall, which must be replaced every 80k miles (and very expensively), or you'll experience catastrophic failure, but other than that I can't seem to find too many other problematic areas. Anyone have any input? Buying premium gas wouldn't be a problem, and AWD would be nice in the winter, just don't want to be financially ruined by spending $2,000 on maintenance every month.

>inb4 "Buy an M3", I will never buy a BMW
>>
Quite possibly the worst used Audi you can buy, the B6 S4 has a habit of dropping random 9+k service bills on you out of nowhere.

The problem is the engine. Audi had been making 4.2l V8s for a while, and used them for the higher-end A6 and A8 (as well as the S6 and S8) models. Generally pretty good engines, but they used timing belts which required the entire front of the vehicle to come off if they needed to be replaced.
People complained.
Audi listened.
They switched to chains, which were supposed to be a "lifetime" component. Then they decided to put the timing components on the back of the engine, to save space and because they weren't supposed to be maintenance items anyway.

What they didn't realize was that while the chains themselves may last a "lifetime", the plastic guides and tensioners don't. They wear, and crack, potentially throwing the timing completely off and grenading the engine.
This can happen anywhere between 50k and 200k miles. The only sign it might happen soon is a slight rumble coming from behind the engine on startup.

Want to get these guides and tensioners replaced? Front has to come off, engine has to come out, all timing components have to be replaced. Costs about 9 grand at a shop.
Want to do it yourself? The rebuild kit alone costs 3 grand, and you'll need a proper workshop and a lot of time.

Other than that, little things like electronics, water pumps, sensors, you know the drill. The screen in the gauge cluster might be missing a few lines, too.
Oh, and avoid the auto. They're fragile as shit.

And I just realized this whole wall of text was for nothing because you know about the timing chains already. Oh well.
>>
I have a question as well

I want to pick up a 2012 A6, but I want to know what maintenance is like. How much do you people put into maintenance?
>>
Since the guy above me already listed what i was gonna say I'm just gonna add a few extra words.

The timing chain is a lifetime component, but then again not due to the reasons the guy above me listed. My dad has had his 2006 B7 A4 3.0TDI quattro auto for a very long time, and he has had little to no problems. The 3 litre V6 diesel engine has a timing chain aswell (Well four chains actually, audi changed this the year later i think because its really too complicated). Anyways he has changed his oil EVERY 6K miles, and flushes his gearbox atleast once a year. He keeps a record of everything from when he fills it with diesel, how much he put in, how much the odo was etc. Aswell as every single thing done to the car from maintainence bills to small replacement parts. He loves to take care of his things, and as a result the car is still mint. My point is that if you're gonna buy something, have the patience to wait for that one car who was owned by a guy who loved it, took care of it and had a genuine interest of putting the required amount of time and money into the car.
>>
File: inside_an_audi_engine.gif (542KB, 500x378px) Image search: [Google]
inside_an_audi_engine.gif
542KB, 500x378px
>>16155989
Unreliable m8.

If you want a V8 get a Lexus V8, they'll run forever.
>>
>>16156113
A6 are great cars but it really depends on how it has been used. 2012 is soon to be 5 years ago, and a car can undergo some severe abuse for this amount of time. Also, engine and drivetrain?
>>
>>16156164
Forgot to say that oil replacement is a critical point for the lifespan of the timing chain since its constantly lubed by the motor oil.
>>
>>16156172
Ones I'm looking at are around 80-100k mileage

One of the ones I'm looking at has had steady maintenance and 1 owner
>>
Buy a E46 M3

At least you'll have performance and driving pleasure from driving the benchmark of FR Sports Cars for the automotive industry, instead of pain and numbness from driving a 4000lb overcomplicated tank with most of its weight past the front axle.

Or just look for a used WRX STi.
>>
>>16155989
Turbo the IS.
>>
>>16156045
Not pointless. Not OP, but i knew about the whole complexity of those engine. However, no one ever explained it in that detail. Helpful to know.
>>
>>16156184
One owner is always good, but a gasoline engine closing up on 100k is very often a gamble. My dads A4 has 130k miles on the clock and is still doing fine, but then again its a diesel. Also, theres a big difference between changing the oil and filters by the manufacturers guide and changing the oil and filters three times as often as recommended by the company. You might say its not necessary, but I say it is when a car is starting to close up on driving 5 times around the globe at the equator.
>>
>>16156164
This is true, Audis in general are pretty nice cars but they need to be taken care of like a German would. Stick to the maintenance intervals and be borderline autistic about it, and it should treat you well.
>>
>>16156045
Audi quit this design actually, since four chains were just too much. They explained it in sense of weight reduction, but I think everyone knows it was a necessary upgrade to make the engine less fragile.
>>
>>16156230
my family has had an a3 8p tdi170 since 20k miles and i've thrashed it from 150-200k, the dpf finally took a shit about 185k but just needed a forced purge and it's been fine since. otherwise, outside of oil changes, belts, filters: a couple of rear shocks and new coil springs are all it's needed (because of thrashing :DDD).
>>
>>16156320
An A3 is mechanically identical to a Golf, though.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.