[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is 'dude super wide front tyres are best for grip xd'

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

File: diablo.jpg (97KB, 1024x682px) Image search: [Google]
diablo.jpg
97KB, 1024x682px
Is 'dude super wide front tyres are best for grip xd' the biggest meme ever?

The Mclaren P1 and a massive list of other hyper/supercars all 'only' have 245 section front tyres, yet they are still capable of setting lap records. Not only this, but thinner tyres are undeniably better in bad weather, and they don't follow lines and grooves in the road like thick tyres do.

Why do manufacturers like Audi and BMW fit stupid shit like 275 front tyres if its unnecessary?
>>
File: lol gm.jpg (83KB, 700x620px) Image search: [Google]
lol gm.jpg
83KB, 700x620px
It helps compensate for under steer on cars with shitty handling dynamics.

Why do you think muscle cars are suddenly setting great lap times?
>>
my understanding is that wider tires have a larger contact patch (duh) and a greater coefficient of friction under typical track conditions compared to a thinner tire. wider tires are also able to dissipate heat better and suffer from less slippage (which causes additional heat)

moral of the story here is that I really don't know what I'm talking about and the engineers at Audi and BMW probably do [insert German "engineering" meme here]
>>
>>16149609
Now consider the engine placement of these supercars with significantly smaller front than rear tires.
Look at the 911 for example.
>>
engine placement, drivetrain, and chassis
>>
File: MCLAREN_BTFO.png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
MCLAREN_BTFO.png
2MB, 1920x1080px
>are big tires a meme
yes
>>
>>16149609
fat car= fat tire
>>
>>16149609
That's totally reliant on what car it is. Some cars like square, some like staggered. Also depends driver to driver on what they need out of the car. There isn't a "right" way to do it
>>
>>16149615
Except a car that tends to understeer will understeer even more with wider front tyres.
>>
>>16149609
nope, depends on the car, weight balance and suspension setup.
>>16149636
nope, wider tires that are uncalled for will make the contact patch smaller. no change in weight = no change in contact after you hit that magic tire size (whatever it is for the car in question).
>>
>>16149609
>The Mclaren P1 and a massive list of other hyper/supercars
All have the engine behind the driver.
>manufacturers like Audi and BMW
All have the engine in front of the driver.

See a correlation here?
>>
>>16150403
Why?
>>
>>16149609
Tires are complex and go together with how good the suspension and wheel base is.

wider tires do not always mean better grip or performance. skinnier tires do not always mean better performance in the rain. It especially depends on things like toe and camber, the tread and material of the tire itself.
>>
Is a square setup ideal for an FR car?
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.