[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I think my dealership service department might be trying to fuck

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: 1478692977794.jpg (70KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
1478692977794.jpg
70KB, 1024x576px
I think my dealership service department might be trying to fuck me right before Christmas because they got presents to buy. Please tell me what you think, /o/. ; _;

My car had a check engine light for a while and I took it in and they replaced a spark plug and coil and some seal. It came back on and they're telling me it needs a new valve guide and cylinder head, $2,000.

The car only has 105k miles on it. I can't imagine it would need a new head already, even if it was burning so much oil. Dude says it only has like 60 psi compression. The car is only worth like $5,000. Will it at least drive to 150k miles like it is? Then i'I'll just buy a new one.

Fuck the holidays.
>>
>>16147621
who is this semen demon
>>
get a code reader or find someone with one. theyre <$100
>>
Now and forever, end the stupid 4chan habit of posting "my car" and replace that with YEAR, MAKE, MODEL and ENGINE TYPE.

This will help others help you. If your car is burning oil, the amount of oil is relevant. If it's burning oil that is because oil is getting past the rings, valve guide or guides, or some combination of the above.

If your spark plug is soaked with oil, then it's top end job time. If just moderately oily you can run a hotter heat range or two on the spark plug to, it is to be hoped, burn off enough of the oil for the engine to run decently.

You can check compression yourself if in doubt. Gauges are under fifty bucks. If your cylinder has 60 psi then your engine is fucked, and modern engines are rarely worth rebuilding even for mechanics. Used engines are expensive relative to most car values and may fail in the same way, so maybe it's replacement car time.

You can drive a beater with a smoking cylinder. I have. Keep enough oil in the crankcase so it doesn't run out and milk the dying engine for all it's worth.

I don't replace heads on modern cars because if the heads done so is the bottom end.
>>
>>16147621
Sounds like your engine is givin out there matey.

what kind of car?

And yeah, I'd really just go for a new one at this point. Dealerships at this time of year are desperate for a sale, trade yours in and walk out with a new one for a breddy gud deal.
>>
>>16147681

2009 Chevy Cobalt 2.2 L 4-cylinder.
>>
>>16147695

It sucks because I've done regular maintenance on it and everything. It shouldn't be doing this so soon.
>>
>>16147681
Also, some auto parts stores will let you borrow one for a deposit. If you return it, it's usually at no cost to you. (compression tester, that is)

>>16147707
>>16147710
Oh, it's a Cobalt. That might explain why.
>>
File: [ashiomi masato] 019.png (214KB, 440x826px) Image search: [Google]
[ashiomi masato] 019.png
214KB, 440x826px
>>16147621
>I think my dealership service department might be trying to fuck me right before Christmas because they got presents to buy.

See
http://archive.4plebs.org/o/thread/15419448
>>
>>16147735
>http://archive.4plebs.org/o/thread/15419448

Enlightening. Thank you for posting this.
>>
>>16147707
At least you got by the worst of the Cobalt's problem years. Cobalt was the replacement car for the Chevy Cavalier and Geo Prizm so it had a somewhat smaller interior and trunk space than the cavalier. GM used the Cobalt towards mileage offset requirements with the EPA so that may be why he has a 2.2L in 2009.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Cobalt

http://www.chevroletproblems.com/Cobalt/
>>
>>16147681
>...check compression....
https://www.reference.com/vehicles/causes-low-compression-engine-29491d01272f04bc

http://www.aa1car.com/library/compression.htm

http://www.gregsengine.com/cylinder-compression-testing.html
>>
>>16147850

I suppose. It still stings. I took it to the dealership to get recall shit done at the same time (why not?) while getting this checked out, and then one thing came to another and now I'm here looking at this bill. Never again, just the area family-owned mechanic shop ran by Indians from now on.
>>
>>16147878
>looking at this bill
so you go the work done?
>>
>>16148016

They already charged me for all the labor for taking apart the engine, which I'd need to pay to get it out, then I'd have to have it towed elsewhere and get the other shop to figure out what they'd have to do to get it working again (more labor costs). Probably I'd save a little money, but it'd be out however long. I'll just swear off stealerships after this.
>>
>>16148016

This is also my first time on /o/ and getting fucked by a mechanic of any sort. Prior to this I only ever really dealt with regular maintenance, and all my vehicles were traded in or sold before anything really went wrong with them. I guess I just lucked out for the last decade, never having to deal with mechanics, so I never thought much about ways one could get fucked. Lessons learned the hard way.
>>
>>16148045
well, if you are going to pay for the rebuild, at least have the decency to have them do some routine stuff like water/fuel pump, timing belt, a few vacuum hoses in there. Won't add much extra cost (maybe $150~) and will future proof a lot of finicky rubber parts that are rapidly aging.
>>
>>16148078
>Won't add much extra cost (maybe $150~)
>at a dealership service department

You really think? Reeaallly?
>>
>>16148100
engine is already out of the car, it'll be maybe a dozen screws. How much they'll charge is the question. I'm sure they'll overcharge on parts prices though.

I wouldn't know stealership rates as I have a shred of common sense.
>>
>>16148045
That engine was new for your car model. Generally, I never buy new cars that are in the first year or two of either model or engine release because that's where the bugs are.

>>16148035
>I'll just swear off stealerships after this.
Not all dealerships are stealerships. My local chevy dealer is a stealership. It always try to charge some examination fee even though the problem is so obvious that it needs to be fixed. But that exam fee is gravy added on top of the repair fee. And they charge for things that they break themselves. I only had oil changes done there, yet they charged me for new oil pan after the drain plug was stripped. They refused to repair with a rethreaded socket. They said it was stripped not by them but by someone else. I cannot prove to them I didn't do any oil changes myself nor any other shop did oil changes, so that is their excuse that they didn't strip it. But I know for sure that 100% of oil changes were from them since that is all I used.

As another example of stealership, their online offer is $130 alignment. But their service writer tried to sell me a rear alignment for $170. I guess she wanted her monthly productivity bonus.

Up the road rather far from me (several cities over) is a real chevy dealership. They do the same repairs for lower cost and servicing for less. Alignment is $68 from their service writer in comparison with my local stealership at $170 from the service writer.

So you have to shop around for the best service dealer too. It's too bad the old owner of the 2nd closest dealership died. He was a courteous fellow from the old days. Small problems were often free like sticking doors, stuck locks, and they didn't slap exam fees on unless there was a "mystery" problem. After his sons took over, the dealership changed a lot. They had no heart in it and sold it to some big multi-dealership holding company.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.