[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

what are the benefits of manual transmission? I've only

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 10

File: 8965156.jpg (38KB, 800x531px) Image search: [Google]
8965156.jpg
38KB, 800x531px
what are the benefits of manual transmission? I've only ever driven manual and the only thing I can think of is engagement in driving. the shifting times on auto are super human and the fatest person cant shift faster than the slower auto
>>
/o/ will make fun of you if you dont drive manual
>>
fuel economy; easy to buy, when they break it's cheap
>>
The transmissions are generally more reliable and require less maintenance.

In burgerland it makes you cool (unless you hang out with nerds or are a loser yourself)
>>
>>16099748
lighter, easier to repair. Also Torque Converters are slow as fuck to shift and piss away power. DCTs are the best of both worlds.
>>
There is literally zero benefit other than it's cheaper. /thread
>>
>>16099748
Less power loss than autos. Modern autos make up for this with faster shifting.
They're cheaper to find, replace, diagnose and fix than autos.
Fuel economy is generally better.
Unless you suck at driving stick they dont require a lot of fixing.
And obviously you get the benefit of having a direct connection to the vehicle.

If all you care about is conefagging and lap times, go with an automatic. If you live in a congested city, go with an automatic. If you're physically disabled, go with an automatic.
Otherwise, go manual
>>
In a new car? None whatsoever.
The only thing they have going for them is price and size, but it's a negligible amount, and modern autos are faster, more efficient, and more reliable.
That being said, my dd is standard and my next car will be too. I just like it more.
>>
>>16099844
>In a new car? None whatsoever.
go test drive an ND with the automatic, it's shit. it hangs onto gears for no reason
>>
>>16099774
>fuel economy

What's the reason behind this? Doesn't short shifting lead to less fuel usage?
>>
>>16099861
>go test drive an ND with the automatic
no
>>
>>16099892
situational shifting could lead to better milage, since you can act on things before they happen, while autos are pure reactionary.
>>
>>16099908
This, drive manual fgts
>>
5 speed manual vs 4 speed auto, the manual has better gearing.

Yes, its 2016 today and companies still sell 4 speed autos.
>>
>>16099908
Did you even read what you typed? It makes zero fucking sense. An automatic transmission maintains the lowest rpm at all times outside of you mashing on the pedal in which case it'll drop gears.
>>
>>16099892
There's more energy loss through the torque converter in a automatic tranny than there is through the clutch plate to flywheel connection in the manual tranny.
Although nowadays you'll find that many automatic transmissions get better mileage by a couple gallons or so.
>>
>>16099748
I've driven some really bad automatics that I definitely shift faster than. It's true for the most part. I won't ever tell anyone it's a good idea, but I do love it for some reason.
>>
File: ya27.jpg (95KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
ya27.jpg
95KB, 600x600px
>>16099844
This may be true about modern European cars but the US (and some extent Japanese) do not reflect this at all.
Also, how does one race in an automagic 8 gear?
>>
>>16099748
Way more satisfying. I love holding onto a gear and controlling the sound/speed with my foot. There's nothing like the feeling of a proper heel-toe or dumping the clutch just right in a corner. If you have a car that is strictly for lap times and not for fun, get a DCT. If you don't know how to get a manual, get a slushbox. If you have balls and aren't some yuppie dink with a stick up his tight ass, get a manual.
>>
>>16099748
I mean, at this point manual is no longer about being faster. Up until dual clutch and 8-gear transmissions became commonplace (so basically, prior to 2000, give or take), the manual was both faster and often more fuel efficient for the average passenger car, because it both shifted faster (with a skilled driver) and had more gears than the average automatic.

That all changed with smg and dct transmissions, and now most manual enthusiasts do it because it makes them special snowflakes (though it is ostensibly cheaper/potentially easier to maintain/fix, offers slightly more control over the vehicle, makes driving a little more skill-based affair, and allows for a little extra bragging rights).

Full disclosure; I am a manual enthusiast.
>>
It's fun. It's genuinely fun to drive a manual. I've only been driving since July and I'm still having fun with it even when I'm in shitty ass bay area traffic.

Driving went from something I had to do to something I get to do. Even when I have to go some place I don't want to go, I don't feel bad about it because I get excited I get to drive my car
>>
Arguably more fun.
Easier to fix when they break
Marginally cheaper to buy when new

That's about it.
>>
>>16099748
with manual you can can vary the speed and harshness of the shift on a case by case basis
where with most auto you just drive around what the transmission is doing and can pay a little more attention to throttle and steering
>>
>>16099950
you dont know how matic shitboxes work dont you?
>>
Manuals are cheaper and fixable if something breaks. If something breaks in an automatic you're fucked. They're pretty much liquid voodoo.
>>
I like to spin tires. That's about the only reason you'd want to drive stick unless you're going to the track outside of how fun it is to generally drive.
>>
>>16099892
You can throw it in a higher gear where an automatic wouldn't. Keep your revs below a certain rpm in each gear can also increase fuel economy.
>>
>>16099774
>>16099843
>>16099892
>>16099940
>better fuel economy
This isn't 1993, auto technology has come a long way since then. In a good auto that isn't 4 speed, aka not the base model car/truck, it shifts faster than people and will shift at the appropriate time for maximum fuel economy.
>>
File: received_1806717236236508.gif (172KB, 498x498px) Image search: [Google]
received_1806717236236508.gif
172KB, 498x498px
>>16101073
This desu

>TFW you drops 2 gears to haul ass and overtake another car and then leave it on gear for dat sweet engine breaking noise once you are slowing down.
>Tfw Perfect Heel toe down shifting
>>
>>16102561
>auto that shifts faster than manual
Yeah no, dct maybe.

>he thinks a decade old computer can shift faster than the driver who literallly knows the environment conditions
>>
File: 1470694239600.png (728KB, 1165x1075px) Image search: [Google]
1470694239600.png
728KB, 1165x1075px
>what are the benefits of manual transmission?

that feel when you redline in second gear before shifting up
>>
>>16102561
>aka not the base model car/truck
You're forgetting about how many normies that will go their way to buying a new car but can only afford base.
>>
>>16101061
This.

At least there's one sane memeualfag here.

The rest of you are like the pathetic oldfag two smoke diehards in the mx world. Muh braap, muh easy cheap top ends, muh premix, muh high revs...kys dinosaurs
>>
>>16102708
>He thinks car companies still use decades old technology
Don't even try to make that argument
You didn't even read my text did you?

>>16102781
Fair enough but still, there are some fagg/o/ts that save up and buy a decent used car.
>>
>>16099748
You don't get a manual for benefits, you get one to further enjoy your car
>>
For fun, it can't be beat
It's essential for adding sporting value to a race
It affords stunt drivers a greater deal of control

For getting the better lap times than the other manufacturers it's shit. If you're more into bench racing and buying the car that was taken around laguna seca faster then manual isn't for you.
For getting the best fuel economy it's total shit unless you're comparing it to a dated 4 speed slushbox.
>>
3rd gear pulls
>>
whats the best way to learn as much as you can about manual driving before actually doing it
>>
>>16103359
you can learn everything in literally 10 minutes on google or youtube. but you'll only really learn once you drive one for a long time and try stuff
>>
>>16103359
Just understand that you need to press the clutch in to change gears, when the clutch is fully pressed it's like the car is in neutral until you release the clutch, and that at very slow speed (setting off from a parked position into first gear) you should release the clutch slowly and slowly apply gas to get the "bite" where the engine won't stall.
As you speed up, you should change gear in order (1>2>3>4>5), but when you want to slow down, press the clutch in and select an appropriate gear for the speed you want to travel (coming off the highway, you could coast with the clutch in while braking to slow down then come down from 5th or 6th straight into 1st or 2nd). If you have to slow down temporarily then you should change down a gear, if you try to move in too high a gear, the engine won't rev high enough and you'll stall.
>>
>>16099748
The engagement, the control, the fun, the efficiency, the cheap, the anti-theft.
>>
>>16099843
I'd argue that a manual is better for lap times or at least some of the higher end DCT.

Most of the paddle shifter automatics are shit for going fast. With the manual you can control the torque and revs much easier.

I don't see any reason to trackfag with an automatic unless you are in a much higher end car than any of us can afford.
>>
>not wanting control over your own cars
autofags are cucks
>>
>>16099963
>automatic transmission
>get better mileage by a couple gallons
That would be a huge increase for me.
>>
File: dogparty.jpg (117KB, 1070x700px) Image search: [Google]
dogparty.jpg
117KB, 1070x700px
in the US manual trasmissions are quite uncommon so the edgy anon, by nature a contrarian, will love to use it thinking it will make him superior to normalfags

in Europe even grandmas drive stick without problems so this trasmission do not enjoy a petrolhead aura like on the other side of the pond
>>
>>16099774
>fuel economy
Hasn't been true in years and most these days get better than the manual version.
>>
>>16103640
In the US it's also the best anti-theft system you can get
>>
>>16104378
>implying ghetto negros can't into manuel
>>
>>16104589
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/seattle-thieves-try-to-steal-car-from-70-year-old-woman-cant-drive-manual-transmission-9563062.html
This happened in my state of all fucking places.
>>
File: transmission-5speed-gears.gif (19KB, 391x313px) Image search: [Google]
transmission-5speed-gears.gif
19KB, 391x313px
>>16103359
just a day ago I learned all I needed to before getting my first car by finding explanatory diagrams of how a manual transmission works, if you understand what's happening in the car it makes it much easier, when you press the clutch it's disengaging a secondary shaft from your engine shaft so that if you press the gas with the clutch held, it just spins, when you shift into gear it puts a dogtooth gear into the drive shaft, so when you want to move the car you just have to slowly let the pictured red shaft connect the drive and engine shafts together, which is why you want to let it off slowly and have the engine revved up to the right RPM (as the new selected gear makes the drive shaft spin slower/faster and will pause acceleration or catch if you don't have the engine revved right)
>>
> Driving automatic
> Go to pass someone
> Doesn't downshift
> Still doesn't downshift
> Gets to desired speed
> Downshifts
T-Thanks transmission
>>
>>16103640
Not really, I'd like standard better especially if that's what most people used on the road.

People here slam the gas and let the car do all the work then act like they beat you in a race when they didn't do anything. At least with stick their is skill involved in motor coordination and multitasking
>>
>>16104634
The clutch pedal actually releases the clutch disc from the flywheel so the engine and wheels spin at separate speeds.
>>
>>16104589
Those niggers can't drive stick.
The Mexicans are the ones you have to watch out for...
>>
>>16104803
don't niggers usually drive manual crown vics and caprices?
>>
>>16099963
>Although nowadays you'll find that many automatic transmissions get better mileage by a couple gallons or so.

thats only on paper, because of the long 7th gear, and MAYBE in Highway, but in daily use it will get worst milange than the 6 speed manual
>>
>>16102886
Yes it is.
>he thinks slushboxes improved in thr last decade

Slushboxes sucks and you know it. Oh wait you dont know bec you dont/cant drive a manual
>>
I have a really dumb question since I'm about to learn manual. How come in videos of the Japanese guys like Tsuchiya and such on Hot Version shift without keeping the clutch at the friction point for a bit to slip it more throttle? They just seem to kick it completely on or off.
>>
>>16104830
Niggers cant drive stick. Thats why having a manual is a security feature
>>
>>16105080
Maybe they're clutchless shifting or have a sequential manual
>>
In our tests, we've found that in some cars a manual transmission can improve gas mileage by a significant 2 to 5 mpg, compared with an automatic, and can cut a car's price by $800 to $1,200.

Manual transmissions often can also improve acceleration, sometimes significantly. That can be a welcome benefit with a smaller engine. And many drivers find driving with a stick more engaging and fun.
http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/2012/01/save-gas-and-money-with-a-manual-transmission/index.htm
>>
>>16099950
so you can't drop gears without mashing the pedal

dropping a gear in a manual and engine braking can be more efficient than staying in gear in some circumstances
>>
File: 1426385202101.gif (2MB, 320x454px) Image search: [Google]
1426385202101.gif
2MB, 320x454px
>>16102685
>>Tfw Perfect Heel toe down shifting
>>
>>16099748
Driver engagement/fun and reduced maintenance/repair costs are the only advantage. The importance of that is your choice. Modern transmissions are pretty damn reliable, so that may be a moot point.
>>
>>16105104
modern autos shit on manuals for both MPG and acceleration. Hard to beat with millions of gears in modern slush boxes.
>>
>>16105322
How come auto manufacturers don't add more gears in manual to compete? What about auto-rev match features. Manual is falling behind.
>>
>>16105395
>How come auto manufacturers don't add more gears in manual to compete?
Because the gates become far too tight. Ever driven one of the new 7-speeds?
>What about auto-rev match features?
Autists complain that it isn't pure enough.
>>
>>16105395
>moar gears
you can only go so far before it becomes obnoxious to shift. I think it would be interesting if it was shifted like a semi-truck but lo-hi splitters and such just add to cost, complexity, and weight which is kinda the opposite train of thought with sticks in cars.
>rev matching
what's the point of clutching and shifting yourself?
>>
>>16105322
What modern slushboxes are you talking about because modern ones are still shit at shifting. Accelerating is still shit? Or are you talking about dual clutch?

Because fast cars either use dct or manual.
>>
>>16104670
this x1000
>>
>>16105459
I guess it's mostly DCT that I might be thinking of, but even regular slushboxes are coming with 8 or 9 gears which should always beat out a 6 speed in terms of acceleration and MPG. Most automatics with that many gears will do better in MPG tests for sure. A lot of transmissions will have pretty quick lockup so it negates loss from the torque converter too.

I only have stick cars but even I know that stick is only useful for on demand gear selection and the ECUs for these new transmissions are getting pretty good for figuring what normies want.
>>
>>16099769
this is pretty much it
>>
>>16105132
You can on most autos, i think they are required to have a way to engine brake and thats done by dropping a gear
>>
>>16105431
>>16105449
Ok so how can manuals compete?
>>
File: manuel.png (121KB, 1089x417px) Image search: [Google]
manuel.png
121KB, 1089x417px
>>16105395
really? Manual is falling behind?

Any time now I guess

Radical cars are manuals btw
>>
>>16105532
they're fun
>>
>>16105532

I hope you have a dct because regular slushboxes will never ever compete with manual

>>16105537
>>
>>16105314
I know people whose DSG clutches have blown up before they even reached 100000km
>>
>>16105395
>add more gears
You dont need more than 6 in a manual car
5 gears will efficiently match the power band of any car making <500 horsepower. 6 is for cruising.
The corvette is an exception.
>auto-rev match in a manual
This exists
>>
File: 1475773117071.jpg (25KB, 405x376px) Image search: [Google]
1475773117071.jpg
25KB, 405x376px
>>16099748
Going through this thread holy shit, no one even touched all the actual benefits of a manual. They left out the most important one of all (imo).
> Cheaper (like many anons have said) easier to fix, easier to drop, easier to replace, easier to maintain, last longer too.
> Can shift before you do what you are trying to do ( for example if you are thinking of passing someone you drop a gear and gun it, in an auto, first you have to gun it, it takes about a second for the CPU to realize you want to go fast so it downshifts. [This doesnt apply to sequentials]
> Greater amount of engine braking, going down a hill you can shift to whatever lower gear you want in order to engine break to your liking. In an auto you can't pick exactly what gear you want for the amount of engine braking you want, unless you have a semi-manual and even then, those deny certain shifts.
> Easy and fast to push when the car is off. ( as apposed to an auto where you must unlock the shifter and then shift to neutral, to push the car)
An NUMBER ONE reason on my list because this has saved me many times from walling miles and miles.
> Bump starting. Battery dead? Get the vehicle rolling, throw it into 1st or 2nd gear (depending on your gearing) and dump the clutch, and immediately disengage it for it won't stall congrats, your vehicle is now on
>>
>>16105576
Ignore all the typos, this phone is garbage
>>
Your girlfriend/wife can't drive it, so she won't ever be able to fuck it up.
>>
>>16099748
Nothing that a DCT or selectable auto can't do better.
>>16101012
>Also, how does one race in an automagic 8 gear?
By having selectable gears, silly. How do you think the 10-speed auto Camaro ZL1 got a top 30 Nurburgring time?
It's really good (as long as it shifts fast) because it lets you stay on peak power better.
>>
>>16105576
Most anons in this thread have good starters and batteries, I assume.
>>
>>16105596
its actually 36
>>
>>16105625
My mistake. It's still damn impressive for a $60k car.
>>
>>16105652
yep. Ford btfo
>>
>>16105612
Nigga you don't have to have a bad battery for you shit to die, or malfunction. Shit happens, sometimes it too cold, or you accidently left something on, or something somehere is draining your shit without any sign of it.
>>
>>16105596
>>16105652
>>16105672
Found gm's marketing team
>>
File: 1468881312057.jpg (1MB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
1468881312057.jpg
1MB, 3840x2160px
>>16105854
>>
>>16104670
at least you dont drive an '12 impala with that shit 6 speed auto

>merging on freeway
>tight turn, so cant see if clear until right fucking there
>let off gas just in case traffic
>can now see
>i can make it, enough space, lets go go
>hit gas JUST AS THE FUCKER SHIFTS UP
>im fucked
>transmission is like WTF DO I DO WTF DO I DO for like a whole second
>might not sound like much, but a whole second is a lot of time in that situation
>say fuck it and just take the next exit because traffic is now up my ass and i cant merge
FUCK YOU CHEVROLET
>>
Guys I like ls400 but it's auto :(
Thread posts: 92
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.