[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Alright guys, I need a little guidance here. tl;dr RPM dependent

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: '91-'94_Ford_Explorer.jpg (15KB, 280x180px) Image search: [Google]
'91-'94_Ford_Explorer.jpg
15KB, 280x180px
Alright guys, I need a little guidance here.

tl;dr RPM dependent vibration under load, just started, what do.

I've got a 1992 Ford Explorer that has developed a vibration and I don't know what's causing it. It's a 4DR 4WD.

The vibration becomes noticeable around 1900-2000RPM and its frequency increases with the engine RPM (but NOT the speed of the vehicle). It gets worse to about 2500 and then starts to taper off by 3000 but only because it's fairly "fast" at that RPM. At its worst it makes the doors rattle a little bit (half the rubber door stops are shot though) and the change in my center console jingle a little.

It only happens when the motor is under load, and if I let off the gas or start down a hill it stops immediately, but comes back as soon as the motor is under load again (if I press the accelerator for instance).

The severity changes apparently from day to day, and because it only does it under load revving the engine to 2k rpm with the hood up via the throttle body doesn't help me at all. I can't say this for sure, but it seems like my gas mileage is suffering a little bit as well. I haven't run the numbers to check though so that might be bullshit.

Any ideas on what to check here? Ignition issue maybe? I'm at a loss but I want to deal with it before it becomes a larger problem.
>>
>>16098719
Engine or trans could be fucked. Could be tcase or driveshaft or diff.
>>
>>16098719
That sounds like more of a misfire than anything. But that depends on your definition of "vibration". Any chance we could get a vid? I've got a '94 Ex
>>
>>16098719
Motor mounts son obviously I cant be sure but seems like a possible.
>>
>>16098719
Have you scraped it on anything? Sounds like a driveshaft imbalance
>>
>>16098719
Check to see if the rubber on your motor mounts is dry rotted severely or gone. Get under the vehicle and have someone rev it (safely) and take a look.
>>
>>16098738

Congrats you've listed just about every component in the fucking drivetrain.

>>16099063

That was my initial thought, I checked to make sure all the plug wires etc were physically in place but haven't actually tested anything for continuity / spark.

I could shoot a vid, but it wouldn't really show anything. You can feel it, you can hear it, but it isn't dramatic enough to be visually obvious. Capturing a vid is also a pain in the ass because it only does it under acceleration / load which means the vehicle is in motion, but I'll give it a whirl.

On another note since you also have one of these shitboxes, I have an electrical gremlin that isn't causing any problems but it's annoying as hell. The system voltage fluctuates pretty wildly at any RPM, enough that I can see the brightness of all my lights pulsing with it. The more load I put on the electrical system, the less the fluctuations it seems. Any ideas?

>>16099081
>>16099110

Possible, I'll have to check tonight or wait until the morning when there is better light. I can rev the motor myself from under the hood and the motor doesn't move any more than you'd expect from torque.

>>16099088

There's no chance of having scraped in on anything any time in the last several months. 95% of its miles since about July have been 65mph freeway miles, I haven't even had it off paved roads since probably June.

Since people seem to be leaning towards drivetrain, could it be u-joints?
>>
>>16099522

I don't remember if OBD1 systems flash the check engine light under serious misfires, but i suppose you would have mentioned that if it were the case. I had some really oddball problems with mine when i first got it, and some i was lucky enough to have a lab scope to figure out. Its a little difficult to diag something without feeling it.

Id ask you to somehow scan your car for codes, if you can get your hands on an obd1 scanner. However because obd1 is a headache you could very well have a shitton of codes in there that mean shit, so clear them first, drive the thing and make the shudder happen again to see if you can set a light. Then scan.

Also, I've found a lot of good help on the "explorerforum". Theres enough people on there that may have experienced the same thing and can point you in the right direction.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.