[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hi /o/ First time here. Thinking about selling my car to put

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 6

File: fiat-124-spider-classic_2.jpg (82KB, 980x490px) Image search: [Google]
fiat-124-spider-classic_2.jpg
82KB, 980x490px
Hi /o/

First time here. Thinking about selling my car to put towards something a little more fun.

What do you guys think of a 70's Fiat 124 Spider, MGB, MG Midget, or Triumph Spitfire? Which one would you get? Would you recommend I get something other than what was listed?

Thanks

>live in southern california, looking for a classic under 10K, not looking at extreme wedges like a datsun z or corvette or anything big like a GTO
>also, pls no bully
>>
Don't buy one of these as your only car.
>>
>>16092832
would you recommend any of these as a secondary car?
>>
I see alot of MGBs and Spitfires on CL for cheap, like 500 dollars cheap.
Thing is you will have to replace everything including wiring harness'.
Ive seen ads that had multiple cars as bundle pack for 1-2k.
So good luck.
>>
File: IMG_0330_.jpg (62KB, 639x423px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0330_.jpg
62KB, 639x423px
>>16092824
Mr2 AW11 if you like 80s futurism? Or the mr2 spyder if you like roadsters?
>>
>>16092850
Sure, get whatever you want as long as you have some good reliable transportation for when your classic sports car inevitably breaks down and you need to leave for work immediately.
>>
All the cars you listed are C cars, and let me explain.
An A car is your primary transportation. You never worry if it's going to turn over in the morning when you need it.
A B car is your fun/weekend car. Much more impractical, but still reliable enough that on a given weekend you could bring it out and enjoy a nice drive.
Cars like you listed are C cars. Projects and track toys, they come out rarely because it's either expensive or unlikely to work every weekend.
Tl;dr: don't but any of those if you don't at least have an A car first. Some people have combo A and B cars or B and C cars, but when you're three weekends into rewiring a British roadster designed by madmen, you'll wish you had a B car you could just get out on the road with.
>>
>>16092824
I've owned several 124 spiders and a series 2 coupe. They were all reliable dailys however, you will need to familiarize yourself with maintenance. Setting the timing; gapping points, these are things that will always be an issue for running at optimum levels. Not a big deal at all, just something you want to get familiar with. Engines are tough as old boots as long as you keep on top of timing belts and changing plugs when the time comes. I used to commute 100 miles a day in my coupe for a year with no issues whatsoever. Don't listen to these haters, most of them still ride the bus. Avoid like the plague anything MG or Triumph. I know this from experience.
>>
>>16092858
no experience in restoration, wasnt really looking for a project; just something for 15 minute daily commute and to enjoy on the weekends
>>16092876
wouldve been into 10 years ago, looking for a more classic look
>>16092877
>>16092900
if this is the case, i might wait 5 years until i get situated into a house; no garage access atm
>>16093177
thanks for the advice; would you recommend anything similar as a daily driver?
>>
>>16093587
No worries. First question: why are you gravitating towards these cars in the first place? Out of the 3 the fiat would be the way to go but if it's old school aesthetic you're after then you will have to contend with some sort of maintainence and skill on your end. If you do not possess such then I would advise to avoid all 3. That being said, once you get a system down it's really not an issue. My 124 coupe had an engine swap 1800 and required points/timing tuning every 2 weeks depending on how hard I drove it. I could pull the distributor, set the points gap and set the timing in 5 minutes. If it's top down, fun on the twists and reliability, get a Miata. I can't believe I just typed that lol.
>>
I have no experience with the others but the spitfire is very underpowered.
>>
>>16093997
old aesthetic in a small size. just thinking about something i could appreciate; been driving hand-me down corollas, camrys, and priuses for the past 10 years and want something that I could enjoy and appreciate. doesnt have to be a convertible or particularly fast, just something to admire and cruise around in daily.
>>16095493
atm, i'll probably find a 124 as a secondary in a few years when I have access to a garage and learn what I can from it
>>
>What do you guys think of a 70's Fiat 124 Spider, MGB, MG Midget, or Triumph Spitfire?

I worked on all of those when they were new, and they were shit then. Utterly unreliable poor performing delicate garbage. They arrive at auto shows on trailers because they are fucking grenades. The Lucas electrical system meme is true and everything else was built cheap as possible because British motor industry was dying from failure to recapitalize and constant labor problems.

They were bad cars by 1970s standards, which is like being the most diseased crack whore. They can not be made reliable. I'm experienced at working on that shit which is why I refuse to own one. They are also deathtraps in a crash having been build before safety standards.

Their one function was to inspire Japanese to build small sports cars which didn't suck. Get a Miata and paint it British Racing Green instead.
>>
>>16097394
Forgot to include Fiat electrics suck too. Fiat left the US market for a long time because their vehicles were such junk.
>>
File: 66 Tiger MK1-A OT 006.jpg (755KB, 1354x900px) Image search: [Google]
66 Tiger MK1-A OT 006.jpg
755KB, 1354x900px
>>16092824
Sunbeam Tiger

>budget under 10k

whoops nvm
>>
bought a spitfire for 3k, only repair it needed was an ignition module and the clutch slave cilynder. i dayli it and it does pretty good. it's pretty great to drive, and it's the best looking of the ones you posted. would recommend it.
>>
alfa romeo is the most beautiful
mgb probably the most common

Personally I would try to find something with an inline 6, the tr-5 or tr-6.

They are all pretty slow, honestly the are very very slow. Fun to toss around, but god so so so slow. You can make the tr-6 not so slow.
>>
How about something bit more modern?
For 10k you can easily get e30 cabrio. It's small, modern and quite reliable.
>>
File: 00X0X_hlxCzUy5E55_600x450.jpg (35KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
00X0X_hlxCzUy5E55_600x450.jpg
35KB, 600x400px
>>16097394
would a 60's mustang be any good?
>>16097406
pretty damn nice tho
>>16097452
is it as slow as everyone says?
>>16097474
thanks, ill keep a look out for tr-6's in the area
>>16097505
not really the kind of style im looking for

semi-related question; is there any reason not to convert any of these from a points system to an electronic ignition?
>>
Tbh OP the NA miata is the improved version of those cars and are very reliable
>>
>>16095739
Well, in that case since you are coming from Japanese cars that require somewhat less mechanical interaction in terms of servicing, you will be let down by the incessant tinkering required by the marques that you are looking at.
Again, I would tend toward the 124 simply because I am familiar with them, and you can make them reliable as a dd, it will just take some effort on your end.
My first car was a Triumph Spitfire Mk2 and it was how I was initiated into car maintenance. I had to replace the rear main seal before it would run and I did this at 15 years old with no knowledge and sparse tools. It ran for a month and then the transmission went.
I've owned Fiat, Lancia, Alfa and Triumph and to go down this road one must understand and accept the definition of masochism. That being said, I loved driving each and every one.
Since you are in S. Cali you have a ton of resources close to you should you choose to get a 124. Here is a good place to just start familiarizing yourself with Fiats. They are in Santa Cruz and when I lived there (and owned all of my Fiats, etc.) they were an invaluable resource.
http://www.fiatplus.com/
But if you seek a dd that you don't have to work on all the time, unfortunately, Japanese is the only way to go.
>>
>>16092850

If your idea of fun is spinning wrenches and trips to the auto parts store in your reliable car, then sure.

I like these cars, but I'd only recommend one if you have something reliable as your primary transportation. These are hobby cars.
>>
>>16097401

70s Marelli Electrics. Kek.

Not to mention the Lucas electrics on the other.
>>
File: download.jpg (8KB, 275x183px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
8KB, 275x183px
>>16097394
>>16097814
>>16098044
>>16098049
if japanese is the way to go, what do you guys think of a datsun 1500/1600/2000, mazda 929 coupe, first gen celica, or honda s800

havent check market for prices and im sure im missing some similarly styled cars; but would these be any better than the original list of cars
>>
One more thing to consider is that overall cars are much more reliable today than ever before. Even a Fiat 500L is more reliable now that a 1992 Accord was new.

So old cars are generally going to be less reliable in general, and then add the age and well... Keep It Simple.

The good news is that some of the crap that goes wrong on the older cars have modern retrofit kits that address those problems. Points can be replaced with electronic ignition, crappy drums can be replaced with modern discs, shitty carbs can be replaced with EFI... etc. Even replacement wiring looms are available to purge the Demons of Lucas from old British cars.

It just takes money and perhaps a loyal following of owners.

I'd love to have a TR6 as a resto-mod, or a Jagrolet, or... I just don't have room, as the 3rd garage bay is full of motorcycles now.
>>
>>16092824

I'll sell you a 1984 Mercedes Benz 380SL.

As long as I get to drive it out to you, I'm in AZ.

I've been needing to sell this car for months but every time I take it out, wash it, and drive it around a bit I put it back in the garage and never put the listing up.

I just need someone to take it off my hands because I like it too much and I can't have two extra cars sitting around.
>>
>>16098513
no i cant; looks like all of these cars will need work so i dont think ill be buying anything for 2-ish years when I my own garage. also, right nows not a good time to get a second car
>>
>>16098766

This one is ready to go. Transmission has 60k miles. New water pump, hoses, distributor cap and rotor, plug wires, rear stabilizer bushings, fuel rails, injectors, alternator, just about every damn thing.

It's been my baby for 3, going on 4 years but it's time for me to move on. A couple minor aesthetic concerns, a small tear in the canvas top, and some new brake pads are the only thing in this cars future.

If I have to sell it, it needs to go to someone that will love it.
>>
File: 380sl.jpg (74KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
380sl.jpg
74KB, 1280x720px
>>16098778

So, uh .... what do you want for it?

80s Benzes aren't my thing, but the SLs are always a good car.
>>
I daily a 76 Triumph Dolomite without any of the problems you guys are experiencing. It's a 1500 OHV, same engine as the spitfire, the engines are fine in standard trim, just keep the oil changed regularly and don't rev them. Electrics are fine as any still working have had the looms replaced.
>>
>>16098822

Good point. Any demons from the Prince of Darkness have likely already been dealt with.

I have always lusted after GT6s, TR8s, and Stags. Some day... some day....
>>
>>16098799

Hagarty's valuation is $7,500-13,500, NADA says $15,200-21,800.

I would sell it for $7500 flat to a fagg/o/t. That's $5k for my breakdown fund, $1500 for parts and repairs on my motorcycle and daily driver, and $1000 to buy myself things to feel better about selling it.
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.