[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the general procedure for legally registering a RHD

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4

File: reamemiya.jpg (433KB, 1280x800px) Image search: [Google]
reamemiya.jpg
433KB, 1280x800px
What's the general procedure for legally registering a RHD car in the USA, both >25 years old and <25?

As I understand it, at least as it pertains to Japanese cars, their VIN isn't registered on any system the DMV/DOT uses here in the states, and that you'll basically have to get a nigger-rigged title to the car.

Does anyone know more about this or have any experience? I'm considering importing a vehicle and would like to know if it's more trouble than it's worth.
>>
File: 14789610193_4565f2cabc_k.jpg (739KB, 2048x1289px) Image search: [Google]
14789610193_4565f2cabc_k.jpg
739KB, 2048x1289px
we need a sticky so people stop asking this question.

You have the internet at the touch of your fingers yet you come to this vietnamese basket weaving forum for advice on importing a car.

Something tells me you are underage and playing pretend because if you were serious you wouldnt be here

http://jalopnik.com/here-s-everything-you-need-to-know-about-shipping-a-car-1686580874

http://jalopnik.com/here-are-the-four-legal-ways-to-import-a-car-to-the-uni-1682067632

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/278/~/importing-classic-or-antique-vehicles-%2F-cars-for-personal-use
>>
File: 26830751715_3712d68f6e_k.jpg (770KB, 2048x1371px) Image search: [Google]
26830751715_3712d68f6e_k.jpg
770KB, 2048x1371px
also

http://oppositelock.kinja.com/importing-a-japan-market-car-the-proper-way-including-1600609343
>>
>>16092847
Yeah, a sticky would be helpful.

Also, thanks for actually replying with some helpful links, looks like there is a positive to attentionwhoring tripfags :^)

Thanks m8.
>>
>>16092800
>I'm considering importing a vehicle and would like to know if it's more trouble than it's worth.
Yes it is more trouble than it is worth. There are plenty of good cars natively available in the US. There is no need to import one.
>>
>>16092867
Well the FD pool available in the US is fucking miniscule and shrinking every year. I thought about going the Canada route and buying a '92 RHD since apparently that route for registering it historically has way less hoops and hurdles to deal with.
>>
File: 16072269325_34ca1b94f7_k.jpg (1MB, 2048x1386px) Image search: [Google]
16072269325_34ca1b94f7_k.jpg
1MB, 2048x1386px
>>16092867
if youre genuinely into cars and have the money, time and patience for importing a certain car that never came to the states then it isnt a hassle imo.
>>
Also rhd will suck for driving on the right side of the road.
>stuck behind a slowfag, need to overtake
>cane see around him on the left to check for oncoming traffic because you're on the right edge of the road

>need to make a left turn in the city
>can't see oncoming traffic around the car in the oncoming turn lane because you're in the right side of your lane
>>
Depends on what state you're in. If it's California abandon all hope.
>>
>>16092891
Kind of a pain in the ass but I'd consider that con as well worth it
>>
>>16092903
Indiana. I'm a midwestfag that has pretty tolerant emission laws, and since the FD was released here as well crash test reports are available as well, not that our BMV requires that.
>>
>>16092906
Anything over 25 years from date of manufacture should be pretty straightforward. Newer that that and safety and emissions comes into play. Show or Display is very limited as to what models you can bring and what you can do with them. All other cars you need to clear with the EPA and DOT. If you're importing a car that was sold here (same year and model) you may be able to get by if you can get a letter from the manufacturer certifying that it met all the US standards. Some companies refuse to provide this.
>>
>>16092960
Are you aware of whether or not Mazda is willing to?

If so, would it be acceptable for the entire range of the model's lifespan, or just for the years where it was also manufactured/shipped to the USA?
>>
>>16093142
Dunno about Mazda. With the FD I'd bet later years will be ruled out because of a lack of OBD2. Best to talk to a registered importer with experience in this. Screw up and your car could end up crushed.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.