[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

kill me /o/, it's over. >ordered a fuck ton of suspension

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: 1475456975506.jpg (231KB, 869x943px) Image search: [Google]
1475456975506.jpg
231KB, 869x943px
kill me /o/, it's over.

>ordered a fuck ton of suspension parts for my car, some in a group buy and some directly
>parts start coming in week by week with majority of parts coming in in december
>decided to put in the new swaybars today seeing as it's an easy job, get it apart, back together, and get ready to torque it all down and take it out for a test run
>get to the last two nuts, factory service manual says 80-94 ft-lbs so I bust out my torque wrench and set it to 80
>torque down first one until it clicks, move on to next
>five or so turns in there's a loud crack and the stud shears itself and just flies off
>mfw nissan doesn't sell the studs seperately, it's all one part
>mfw the part was part of the suspension components I ordered but it's scheduled to come in late december
>mfw I have to garage my daily for two months

on top of that I discovered that my transmission was leaking really badly, that explains the grinding noise I was having for the past week. guess I'm going to be commuting by moped for 8 weeks. feel like such a huge fucking idiot, and the only thing that makes it worse was that I sheared off the exact same stud off the exact same part almost exactly a year ago when I was installing polyurethane bushings. RIP
>>
>>16085346
Go to a junkyard and take one off of a wrecked car.
>>
>>16085346
Who gives a fuck? Just disconnect the sway bar and don't drive like a dipshit. It's not the end of the world.
>>
>>16085362
Also if you sheared off a bolt at 80 lb ft, you're using completely shit bolts, or there's something terrible wrong with how you're torqueing them.
>>
>>16085358
as long as the parts coming in in 2 months, I might as well wait and save some money. I can get away with riding a moped for a while.

>>16085362
not the sway bar, the sway bar and all it's components are 100% fine. it's a tension rod that was in the way of the swaybar that I had to remove to install.
>>
Why does this keep happening to you?
Perhaps you should get a good torque wrench or calibrate your shit one. If your car is ancient you're using new bolts right?
>>
>>16085365
I'm torqueing them the same way I torque everything else. Only time I've really ever sheared off a bolt was on this part now, twice. Might just be because I replaced the stud with one one of my friend's who works in a machine shop made for me. Maybe he didn't make it to 80-90 ft-lbs spec?
>>
>>16085376
torque wrench is calibrated fine, I used it for torqueing down shit to 15-20 ft-lbs just a week ago and it stops on point. Was thinking at first that it might have been due to the wrench but then I went and tested it out on some other shit a few times and it worked perfect.
>>
>>16085346
>8 weeks
Pay for faster shipping
Pay a little extra to get shit from local parts stores

Christ

I know DIY auto repair is shit because there's more waiting than wrenching and more of both than driving, but that's fucking retarded

Also learn to use a torque wrench
>>
>>16085385
it's a group buy on nice adjustable aftermarket parts.
>>
>>16085377
>stud made out of some random assume metal

OP are you retarded
>>
>>16085435
yeah, a little bit. I don't know why I do all my own work on my car since I always end up fucking something up but it's fun and I learn in the process. I should probably stop doing this shit on my daily and get a beater car to drive around in.
>>
Torque spec is probably wrong, sway bar bolts are usually around 30-50 ft lbs
>>
>>16085346
press the stud out and press a new one in you fuckin idiot jesus christ
>>
>>16085346
>my torque wrench and set it to 80
>Harbor Freight
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.