[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

what causes leaf springs to fail? i thought spring steel wasnt

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

File: leafy.jpg (30KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
leafy.jpg
30KB, 600x450px
what causes leaf springs to fail? i thought spring steel wasnt supposed to be brittle...

i just bought a truck (not in pic) that has 15 broken rear leafsprings and 3 intact ones
>>
>>16083842
Rust, which you seem to have a shit load of and excessive use.
>>
Massive overloading. Sell it now.
>>
File: lexusrx400.jpg (501KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
lexusrx400.jpg
501KB, 768x1024px
>>16083842
The way that one is broke up I'm leaning towards impact. Maybe it got launched over a ditch or something.

And fwiw springs break all the time. Coil springs do it too
>>
Eventually they fatigue and the steel cracks. Occasionally I see broken leaf springs on busses that work rough/potholed roads. Apparently it's really common for them to break on logging trucks. It's not nesecarily because of overloading, just working on rough roads.
>>
>>16083852
>>16083850
mine isnt rusty like that but theyre broken in similar places. i knew the truck was beat when i bought it, i was just wondering if there was any sort of measures to prevent it happening again to my new springs, like painting or oiling the leafs?

>>16083884
the truck is a dually dump flatdeck, i thought it might be from something heavy being dropped on the deck

>>16083893
lots of dirt roads and washboard around here, makes sense
>>
Why do things break?

Because they rust and because they wear out.
>>
>>16083842
>leaf springs

Maybe next time don't try to drive a medieval chariot.
>>
>>16083842

Well, once one fails it puts more load on others. Everything from age, manufacturing imperfections, high mileage/old age, poor quality, the type of driving they've seen, it isn't super common but not rare either.

>>16083852
With as many as yours has, this is also a possibility.

>inb4 cooked trans and bent/tweaked frame
>>16086498
They just werk, get the fuck over it.

>tfw my 48 year old leafs are intact and working just fine after all these years

Glorious american chariot.
>>
Either rust or really shitty steel or both. I know 60 year old trucks with original leaf springs.
>>
My 03 Tacoma had a cracked leaf, the springs were sagging and i think im the only one of its owners to actually haul shit in it.
>tfw hauling 700lbs of steel on freeway
>tfw head a loud "PING"
>tfw truck starts to get the wobbles
Had to slow down to about 55mph and found the broken leaf when i got home. Ordered some new Dakars and those are great.
>>
>what causes leaf springs to fail?

Overloading and/or impact, but they are easy to swap out and you can replace them with a used set off a heavier duty model.
>>
File: S-N_curves.png (84KB, 561x364px) Image search: [Google]
S-N_curves.png
84KB, 561x364px
>>16083842
failure from cyclic stresses is a thing if you exceed the endurance limit of your material.
>>
>>16083842
Rust.

Just get a car with independent suspension.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.