[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I bought a used ls400 last year off of craigslist it had a new

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: 1996-lexus-ls-400-5.jpg (77KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
1996-lexus-ls-400-5.jpg
77KB, 800x600px
I bought a used ls400 last year off of craigslist

it had a new timing belt, water pump, tires and brakes.

I paid 3,800

when i went to show it to my grandmom she mentioned that it was leaking something in her driveway. So i took it to my uncles indie repair man.

he charged me $800 to seal something down there near the timing belt. said he doens't know whyt hey didnt do it with timing belt replacement...since they were already there. Confirmed timing belt was new.

then I was fine for a few months, Then it wouldn't start. Had to get a new starter.

paid for that & on the way home it died while i was driving. had it towed back to indie guy. he fixed it but it was another 800 bucks.

I don't drive much, but I do need my car sporadically.

now it's not starting half the time.

took it to a new shop; they said it's either a bad starter or flywheel. 800 each or 1600 for both.

Told them I need to think about it

would you fix & sell
or just sell it as is?

thanks auto...
>>
>>16079593
op here,

im on the verge of a decent payday.
looking for a ls430

the main reason I bought an old ls400 was because it was so luxurious & dependable. mine must have been a lemon.

do the ls430s have anything I should be worried about? looking at some 05's
>>
>>16079593
There was nothing ever wrong with the car. The stuff leaking in the driveway was AC water. The rest is the guy milking you at $800 a pop by leaving wires loose, etc. Fix your own shit.
>>
I'm opening a Lexus garage.
>>
>>16079623
nah it was def oil; I used a paper towel to sop up a sample in my driveway.

we tested the battery and even had a replacement.

also got one of those connection cleaners.

was def a starter
>>
File: image.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
>>16079600
Stay away from the ultra lux trim package.

It has an airbag suspension. These will eventually leak. There are aftermarket solutions ranging from remanjfacutred air bags, to traditional strut swap.

Outside of that they are golden.
>>
>>16079639
ayyy

The one im looking at is ULP

I read that there's a non air replacement that's reasonable...considering the car.

I figure if its bumpy i'll take that route;

what's your thought on black with saddle interior?

that's the one I want; when I first saw it I thought it was a little gotti. now i dig it

sweet ride btw.
>>
>>16079655
All strut replacement on the UL is like $1300 iirc. Once you do that, the additional UL features are definitely nice from what I can tell.

Make sure you change your timing belt around every 100k miles.

Thanks! Got it less than two months ago. Can't see driving anything else now. Came from an 08 TSX I boight new. I'm already looking at 460's and letting my wife drive this one.
>>
>>16079689
yeah i expected about 1200
hopefully the test drive is smooth

dude yeah, honestly my ls400 drove way better than any other car ive been in.

damn thing was just unreliable.

i think im going to sell as is;

after looking again, im def excited for a LS460

black is def my favorite color; i keep my car clean constantly. one thing about the white car; pretty hard to tell it's dirty!
>>
>>16079600
You're car isn't a lemon. Sometimes things break.

You're problem are the mechanics you're working with don't know shit. $800 is too much to seal something. A new waterpump from the Lexus dealer (part and labor) is $900. ($300 if you pair it with a timing belt service). $800 to seal something is definitely a huge red flag don't go there any more.

If you took it to a Lexus dealer they would know the exact problem instantly.

Not saying you should go to the stealership but find someone who knows LEXUS.

The LS is an extremely good car - I'm sorry you've had this experience.
>>
>>16080975
I know my grammar is fucked. sorry.
>>
>>16079593
Whenever I hear symptoms like this I insist on checking the crank angle sensor
>>
>>16080975
grammar is fine;
I appreciate the perspective.

I think I'll take it back from the indie shop as is, maybe drive it to a toyota dealer? my LS is a 96; I'm assuming toyota dealer will be a little cheaper/qualified to diagnose.

>>16081035
is that a cheap fix?

I absolutely love this car btw. I keep it so clean, paint is in immaculate condition, tires always shined. its like a boat, all my trips are smooth sailing.

woe is me
>>
>>16079626
Where at?
>>
>>16079631
your power steering is likely leaking onto the alternator causing it to crap out, and not start sometimes

the power steering/alternator relationship is literally page one of buying an old ls400, memesters who dont even own an ls400 know about that shit, fucking lol
>>
>>16081035
this, my 1998 gs400 had an unplugged cam angle sensor and literally half the time it wouldnt start, the other half of the time it would.

>>16081892
I got one for about 70 from o reilly, didnt need it though i just plugged it back in. Does it give codes?
>>
>>16082080
Yeah my cel light has been on for a while. the guy at the first shop said it was nothing at all...

second shop said it was o2 but no biggie, if it turns back on to come see them

its strange cuz this time i took it in t he guy was saying basically a tune up would fix the cel light..

so the same shop said itw as o2 then tune up.

i dont know the coes its throwing, just that the light is on (it'll flash when im accelerating, there's a bit of a studder as well. like its not getting enough gas?)

researching cam angle sensor now. thank you
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.