[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ok I'm a little confused about intakes. I understand the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: 1286257937366.jpg (37KB, 670x496px) Image search: [Google]
1286257937366.jpg
37KB, 670x496px
Ok I'm a little confused about intakes. I understand the principles behind a cold air intake, and how colder air is denser. However, for a turbocharged vehicle, the air is going to be compressed which will make it hot again. For this reason is a CAI a waste of money for a turbo engine? Wouldn't upgrading the intercooler give better results?
>>
why not both... it's like $10 to make a cai
>>
>>16063511
shhh we don't speak logic here.

cai make noise
boyracer like
boyracer goes back to his cave a happy caveman.
>>
If it's a factory turbo car, the intake may have some retarded silencers and baffles that fuck with the flow. If it's not a factory turbo car you're gonna have to come up with an intake anyway, so you might as well pipe it somewhere other than where it's super hot if it's not too hard. If it would be a pain in the ass, then don't bother.

Pic related, not quite a turbo but same idea
>>
>>16063541
it is a factory turbo, and I want to upgrade the intake but I'm not quite sure what the fuck to do because of the turbo
>>
>>16063545
keep it stock.
>>
>>16063522
it's not logic, it's the complete opposite.

yes an intercooler might do more, that's why good intercoolers are $500.
that doesn't mean cai are useless.
>>
>>16063553
Because <5whp gain in the midrange is really that useful

Unless you've increased displacement, there's no point in changing the stock intake.
>>
>>16063573
>Unless you've increased displacement
This makes literally no sense.
>>
>>16063573
>moving goal posts
>>
>>16063545
Look at the stock intake. Is it a nice big, smooth tube? If yes, don't waste your money unless the new one has something rad like a bigass velocity stack or some shit. If the stock intake goes through all sorts of box-looking shits, replace it with a nice tube.
>>
Mighty car mods did a thing about this
>>
>>16063607
The stock intake seems to be designed to reduce the noise of the turbo and the blowoff valve, it's full of ridges and probably has a baffle inside

If it was a naturally aspirated engine a CAI would make sense but for this one should I go for a short ram intake instead?
>>
>>16063662
It's not really a huge deal where it pulls the air from, just that it's a nice smooth tube.
>>
>>16063511
The point of a cai is to decrease the temp of intaked air
If you pressurize the air a certain amount, you heat it by a proportional amount.
By decreasing the temp of the intaked air, you are still decreasing the temp of the air coming out of the turbo.
20 degrees cooler in will translate to 20 degrees cooler out.
Whether or not that is worth it is up to you
>>
>>16063545
You mostly just want to make sure the coupler you attach it to the turbo with is designed for high temps - for example the Spectre couplers you can get at Autozone aren't suitable for a turbo car because they get soft and deform.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.