[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /o/ I am in the market for a pickup truck. I frequently

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

File: 26516855.jpg (80KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
26516855.jpg
80KB, 1024x768px
Hey /o/

I am in the market for a pickup truck. I frequently travel in bad weather (snow, ice, logging roads) and my Ford Taurus is not cutting it. I also frequently need the truck for moving, hauling ect. My work pays for gas so mileage is not that much of a concern right now.

I am hoping to generate income from the truck if possible, short haul moving, hotshot work, towing RV's ect. I have a budget of AROUND $5000, but this is the upper end of my budget. Only requirements are 4 doors, automatic, capacity for hauling mid sized loads (moving furniture, a vehicle ect).

I have been looking at the Ford F250/F350 with the 7.3l in either DRW or SRW. I have no idea HOW much hauling I would do so SRW is probably preferred. I have no problem with Dodge, GMC or Chevy offerings. Any insight on what would be best in this price range. For some reason I have been finding MORE F250/F350's with 4 doors than any other model.
>>
I would look at the silverado 2500 If you can find one with a gasoline motor. If you really need power, f250 with the v10 could be good. I'd steer clear of diesel if you're traversering cold climates.
>>
File: 05-silverado-hero.jpg (21KB, 400x209px) Image search: [Google]
05-silverado-hero.jpg
21KB, 400x209px
Any chevy diesel after 00 are good. Or go with the 8.1 big block. Any Ram Cummins is also good. Reliability and capability for these trucks are identical so go with the one that speaks to you

Angry eyes chebby is best looking
>>
>>16063011
My gfs grandpa always carried sand over the hips in his dually while in the mountains, the weight gave him traction and if he ever did get stuck, he would put some sand infront of the rear tires for better traction. Sounds like a win win.
>>
>>16063039
This OP
>>
>>16063011
I'm surprised you can find any diesel pickups in the $5k price range. I would strongly advise against doing any hotshot work. It really just isn't worth the hassle to do as a side job as there are all kinds of special licensing, inspection, and insurance needs to do it legally.

If you perform your own maintenance I'd recommend a gasoline powered pickup over a diesel as parts are much cheaper and the service procedures are easier not to mention the fact that they're just cheaper to own in general.
>>
>>16063047

Actually I can find many. Most of the diesels are ex work trucks from the patch (Northern Alberta) or from farms. Most have about 200K miles on them, or less. I found a 7.3l Ford F350 XLT for $5500 with about 120K miles, DRW.

A for the hotshot thing, I was more planning to do short moves, sub 200km. I am well versed on the insurance portion. The truck is more for my enjoyment, but if I can offset the cost by moving some furniture/dump runs/whatever, then why wouldn't I?

I was under the impression that a diesel truck offsets the cost of part by providing superior mileage and power. I would be doing my own maintenance on the truck.

>>16063046
>>16063039
>>16063038

Anything I should look for particularly?
>>
>>16063011
>5k
go home and rethink your life. save until you have 20k. Get a 7.3 powerstroke for 12-15k and have some money left over for potential repairs.
>>
>>16063011

You could get a pretty nice fleet truck at auction for 5k, that's pretty much your only option for a diesel at that price range. It's probably going to have 9000 idle hours and the maintenance history will be iffy. Most companies retire their trucks somewhat early so you should be able to squeeze another 100k miles or more.

If your from AB everything is going to be rusted to hell, stay far, far away from anything lifted.
>>
>>16063414

Why because I need to sink 20K into what will be a secondary vehicle? I have a 2013 Taurus, I don't need a brand new truck. Hell most trucks locally are over priced to start with.

>>16063449

I don't want some project truck. I want something that is used, but not abused. Fleet trucks are fine. I just don't want some sacked out piece of shit.
>>
>>16063608
You're not getting a decent used diesel that isn't 30 years old (and maybe still not even) for $5000
>>
>>16063623

The fuck you talking about? Are you saying I need to buy a 30 year old diesel truck? So something from 1986? Or are you saying that I can't find a diesel that is newer?
>>
>>16063011
>truck for 5k
How fucking high are you?

>>16063623
Is very much right. Hell, he's probably being nice. It's a bitch and a half to find a truck that is in decent running condition, much less one that isn't starting to rust to hell, for $5k or under. Also for the love of fuck, don't buy one from a farmer. I can guarantee you that they've beat the shit out of the poor damn thing by hauling/towing WAY more than it's rated for.

Then since it sounds like you want to do some commercial business with it, I'd strongly recommend getting at least a new-ish (say, no older than 5 years) mid-size such as a Tacoma.

$5k is basically the STARTING point for used trucks. Buying a truck for $5k is like buying a car for $2k.
>>
File: 1311603778372.jpg (32KB, 323x323px) Image search: [Google]
1311603778372.jpg
32KB, 323x323px
>>16063650
Are you mentally retarded? Does the basic life skill of understanding a statement in context escape you? Jesus Christ, you fucking Taurus driving cuck.

>I want a used truck for 5, specifically a 7.3 Powerstroke
>>lol no you need closer to 20k
>why would I need 20K????
>>you're not getting a decent used diesel for 5k that isn't like 30 years old
>are you saying I can't get a decent used diesel for 5k that isn't like 30 years old???

Yes. That is, in fact, exactly what I am saying.
>>
>>16063702

I said I was looking at a 7.3l, but that I am open to other options. I have seen several 7.3l Power stroke trucks from the mid 90's to mid 2000's. All under 5K. That doesn't mean I will be buying the truck without an inspection from a licensed shop.
>>
>>16063719
then get a shitbox K2500 with a 6.5L Detroit Diesel and enjoy having no power
>>
File: CS_VlNFUYAADEyv.jpg (41KB, 600x338px) Image search: [Google]
CS_VlNFUYAADEyv.jpg
41KB, 600x338px
If work pays for gas then consider the V10 dodge or V10 Triton Ford. Both would fit under the $5k budget, more torque than the V8s and more horsepower than the diesels.
>>
>>16063751

Still more power then a 2nd gen tacoma. The point of this thread was budget priced trucks, preferably full sized. I get a few helpful replies, then I get the suggestion to save up 4 times more money to buy a 20k truck, or a tacoma. You can buy a fleet equipped brand new f150 for about 20k. This was about a cheap, decent model, not about how much more truck O can get for 4 times the money. Unless of course you or that other guy are suggesting that the $20,000 truck is 4 times BETTER than a $5000 dollar one.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.