[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So I do car work in my garage under jack stands like I should,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 6

File: 12tonstand.jpg (27KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
12tonstand.jpg
27KB, 500x500px
So I do car work in my garage under jack stands like I should, but there was an incident recently where my rear windshield exploded unexpectedly a day after I had the car up on jack stands. I came to the conclusion that the course height adjustment of ordinary jack stands and the drainage slope built into the garage floor put the unibody of the car under an excessive torsion moment that transmitted to the windshield. Why the windshield blew up after the work was done is anybody's guess.

Has anyone else seen this happen? What else could have caused the glass to shatter? I'm looking for jack stands that use a threaded rod instead of a toothed mechanism for fine adjustability but they seem uncommon for some reason.
>>
File: image_16073.jpg (135KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
image_16073.jpg
135KB, 1200x1200px
>>16056839

Just put your car on scissor jacks. Put jack stands underneath once it's up and lower them till the car sits on them. Leave the jacks under for maximum support.
>>
>>16056839
Never seen or heard of such a thing. Now I have heard of T-Tops breaking or popping out if left in the roof when lifted, but not a windshield. Cars built nowadays have much stiffer frames than the older cars, especially the convertibles.
>>
>>16056839
you probably had the stands in shitty areas.

ive never seen threaded jack stands in my life.
>>
>>16056883
They may be stiffer, but without a suspension to support the weight, the frame must twist and conform to rest its weight on the jack stands, unless if you had them perfectly level to begin with, which is unlikely.

>>16056900
They were up on the pinch welds.

I guess I could solve the problem by shimming the jack stands with some plywood.
>>
>>16056938
Yeah man who hasn't been driving around a slightly inclined curve and had their windshield fucking explode? It's literally more likely you're being tormented by demons or snipers are taking pot shots at you.
>>
I've seen hoist arm pads that are threaded. never seen threaded-type jack stands before.
>>
File: 41RPMPM0Z8L._SY300_[1].jpg (9KB, 183x300px) Image search: [Google]
41RPMPM0Z8L._SY300_[1].jpg
9KB, 183x300px
>>16056900
>ive never seen threaded jack stands in my life.
They exist, but they're not as common as they used to be. They're kind of slow to set up
>>
>>16056982
i can def see why they aren't that popular t b h
>>
>>16056938
When I have my car up for like "actual" work I put the stands on the subframe.
I was going to suggest shimming them also, but wasn't really sure how I felt about it as I typed it.
>>
File: tfw.png (71KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
tfw.png
71KB, 500x500px
>tfw browsing /o/ when hungry
>>
File: img_3420[1].jpg (171KB, 873x655px)
img_3420[1].jpg
171KB, 873x655px
>>16057020
Don't eat your donut
>>
>>16056839
its possible. I've seen cars flex a LOT if the stands are not put in correct areas, and obviously depends on the age of the car.

That being said, I find it unlikely that it would cause your rear glass to fail.
>>
>>16056839
>day after
>24 hrs after the fact
>must've been jackstands not the suspension work
>post on /o/ how scary it is to work on cars.
>>
>>16056839
What work were you doing the day before the glass exploded
>(waiting for op to say he was welding)
What were you doing at the time it exploded?
>>
>>16056900
>>16056973
Just because you've never seen a vacant doesn't mean they don't exist either
>>
>>16057433
Fucking auto correct gotta ruin my good jokes, fuck off
>>
>>16057433
Great post dude
>>
>>16056839
Did this explosion happen with the car parked on the street overnight?
>>
>>16056839

That's weird as hell OP.

I've had a balcony glass door explode on me out of the blue.
>>
>>16056839
You're a fucking moron for coming to this conclusion.

Fine adjustment Jack stands are just called "jacks" and you get more torsion (if you even know the meaning) driving than anything you could do in your garage.
>>
>>16056839
Terrible logic you're a moron for thinking this. It's literally more likely you'd shatter your windshield due to an extreme temperature change than because you put the car on jacks, particularly if you didn't have the problem while or immediately after the car was up.

Where did you leave the car? Who had access to it?
>>
>>16056839
Must be something else maybe your light was too close to the rear wingshield and end up heating it
>>
File: 1293481459906.png (159KB, 323x246px) Image search: [Google]
1293481459906.png
159KB, 323x246px
>owning a car with a unibody, and not a bof
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.