[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hi /o/. I don't come here too often but I've got a

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 5

File: IMG_0477.jpg (51KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0477.jpg
51KB, 480x360px
Hi /o/. I don't come here too often but I've got a problem. My car won't start, and it's not because of the battery being dead or the engine being dead, they're both fine. All the lights on my dashboard work and so do my headlights. Even the radio works fine. When I try to start it I hear some soft clicking noise. What's the problem?
>>
Probably the starter.
>>
>>16055165
More than likely. Any suggestions?
>>
>>16055159
Your battery.
>>
>>16055186
Gently smack that motherfucker with a stick or something
>>
>>16055186
Check fuses, if they're still fine whack the starter with something.
>>
File: 1477041228384.gif (712KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1477041228384.gif
712KB, 500x375px
>>16055159

Its your battery breh dont have enough amps to turn the starter motor over
>>
File: Racequeen2.jpg (196KB, 800x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Racequeen2.jpg
196KB, 800x1200px
>>16055159
>When I try to start it I hear some soft clicking noise.

In the old days, everyone would say "you need a new Bendix" and 95% of the time they are correct. Bendix was the most memorable of the starter solenoid makers, so that name became the label for starter solenoid problems even though bendix was a reasonably reliable brand.

In today's cars, your ignition key energizes a somewhat large relay which in turn energizes a much larger relay thru which the battery current goes to the starter assembly. The solenoid must first engage to the engine so that the starter motor can crank the engine. If the starter solenoid doesn't engage properly, then of course the starter motor won't be energized (for safety and durability reasons). So all you hear is a click as the solenoid fails.
>>
>>16055159
It's your battery. Most of your accessories will work if it doesn't have enough voltage to turn it over. I can still lock and unlock my car under 10v.
>>
>>16055159
Don't buy GM products next time.
>>
>>16055159
Get a multimeter and read your battery's voltage.
>>
Test the battery first and foremost, don't just assume it's fine. You could have parasitic draw draining it.
>>
>>16055297
This. Mine drains slow. I just have to disconnect the battery if I plan on parking it for a week or more. I wired in a kill switch to make it easy.
>>
>>16055264

What cunt? The Bendix gear is a helical spring and sliding gear set to engage the pinion gear with the flywheel and disengage the pinion when the pinion becomes the driven gear once the engine is started and B+ is cut from the starter circuit.

What are you carrying on about with this preferred brand of solenoid bullshit?
>>
>>16055319
Which is 100x easier than actually diagnosing such issues if you're not a professional gear head or electrician, and also keeps your car from getting stolen if you hide the killswitch
>>
>>16055319
I wish I could do that for mine. The fused wires are certainly easy to find (and connect to) under the hood. I'd do that except the car has to be re-synchronized each time the battery is changed. So cutting all power with a pull-out plug killswitch would force me to go thru that process each time.
>>
>>16055159
>soft clicking noise
Fucking battery idiot.
>>
>>16055159
This is the exact same thread you started two weeks ago you shitposting cunt

Stop wasting our time and go back to /b/ or /pol/ or wherever the fuck you came frome
>>
>>16055193
>>16055199
OP here. It was the starter. Got a friend to tap it with a stick while I turned the ignition and it started back up. Thank you guys!
>>
>>16055159
>>16055159
Your battery is dead, it has enough jooce to run accessories but not enough to crank the starter
>>
>>16055601
Told you babe, now get a new one. I haven't had a problem with my re-manufactured one from VatoZone. Also don't trust their testing machines. I had changed 3 bad starters that both tested to be fine but really weren't.
>>
File: 1469291708215.jpg (204KB, 1754x752px) Image search: [Google]
1469291708215.jpg
204KB, 1754x752px
>>16055193
>>16055199
Funny how an average holier than thou no-car would take that suggestion and reply back with some sarcastic bullshit as if he knew better but still asking for advice.

But by george it works. Like some people theres some shit you have to hit in order for it to get right.
>>
>>16055287
This
>>
>>16056721
They will run poorly longer than most cars run though.
>>
>>16056752
This
>>
Bumps
>>
Bumps
>>
>>16060398
why are you bumping?
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.